Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 5000 - Low output on one channel

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

bugge
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
bugge Posted: Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:02 PM

Hi,

I have had a Beolab 5000 for some months now, but haven't had time to test and restore it properly until now. Too much studying Stick out tongue also I have been working on recapping a couple of beovox 2400 speakers. Anyways, I just tested the beolab 5000 a couple of days ago, and to my dismay I noticed that the right channel had a much lower output then the left one Sad

Other things I noticed:

• There is a crackling sound on the right channel  when I turn it on and off
  • If i turn the volume up and down alot it will suddenly work, eg the right channel will be on the same level as the left
  • I have swapped the speakers around and tried different input types, and the problem is always on the right channel

Do any of you know what can cause this? I am guessing I got a faulty capacitor somewhere... Is this something I can locate and fix myself?

I hope someone can help me solve this.

Thanks

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:10 PM

If it suddenly works, it sounds more like a cracked solder joint - a duff capacitor would seem less likely.

Peter

bugge
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
bugge replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:44 PM

Ok, I will try to look for that. I will update if I find anything

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:59 AM

Hi,

Yes, a bad solder joint or a defective (dirty?) potentiometer. And don't forget that there are other ones underneath, which could also be problematic!

Don't forget the photos! We love 'em here!

Good luck on your Beolab, you'll see (hear) it's an excellent integrated.

Jacques

bugge
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
bugge replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 11:08 PM

Thanks for the help!

After a lot of cleaning (and it was way more dust and dirt than I believed Stick out tongue) and a couple of resoldered joints I think its back in working order. I'm not certain which of the two did the trick, but at least it sounds good now. I will have to do some more testing, but I think it's fine.

I will upload some pictures tomorrow Wink

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 6:20 AM

Great! Well done!

Now what do you think of its sound quality in absolute terms?

I am looking forward to the photos!

Jacques

bugge
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
bugge replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 8:41 PM

Thanks, but I think I was a bit lucky. I just gave it a thorough cleaning inside and when i did I found a couple of connections that looked to have had a hard time. So I checked the components in those areas (found nothing wrong) and resoldered the joints. After that i just turned it on and it worked Big Smile

I have been playing it all day with my beogram 1202 and a pair of beovox 2400 and beovox 2500 and i totally love it. Both the sound and the way it looks are just stunning!

Sorry to disappoint you about the pictures, but her in Norway it gets dark very early (around 2pm) and I was unable to get good pictures (need good light or my miserable camera will produce lousy pictures) because I was busy all morning and the afternoon. I will try again tomorrow Wink

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS