Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

U70 headphones + foam problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Max
Not Ranked
Warsaw, Poland
Posts 25
Bronze Member
Max Posted: Sat, Dec 22 2012 2:46 PM

Hi,

Iąve just found in my storage U70 headphone and it looks like new but when I took them into my hands I found that the foam need to replaced due to age (black rubber goes off). Any ideas how to cope with this problem?

Max

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 3:02 PM

They all started shedding the thin "leather" surface on the earpads 15-20 years ago.
Even if you should find one that still carries it, it will fall off at first use.

If you are good at DIY you may be able to fit new black leather but most owners simply use
them without the black surface, and that includes me.

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 3:19 PM

Dillen:
Even if you should find one that still carries it, it will fall off at first use.

Not always I still have one with the thin "leather" on it and it stays perfectly. 

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 4:04 PM

Leslie:

Dillen:

Not always I still have one with the thin "leather" on it and it stays perfectly. 

I have three or four U70s with the black surface still intact. I touched one a couple of years ago and it flaked off
right away so I will not touch the others. I wouldn't expect them to last in use though.
If you have one still intact and holding on, then fine. It may be the last individual from years of production or the
pads may have been replaced back when they were still available but it's fair to say that you would need
more than a fair share of luck to find such a piece, just as much as you would a fresh and complete set of
replacement earpads and I doubt it will last very long with daily use even if you did.
It may not be impossible but telling a Beoworld member, asking for a solution, to just go and find an intact one
would not be a useful option to the OP.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 9:33 PM

Intresting, I was just thinking how to recover my U70's. I Guess atmosphere were they have been plays a big role in if they go to flakes or not. I have CX100 with original foams, no sing of rot yet.

I think I'm going to wash old pads clean for a start.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 9:38 PM

Think I'm gonna do an excersise on those U70 pads as well (yes, my fourth, without the black leather). The white looks pretty uggly.... 

Brengen & Ophalen

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 9:59 PM

I agree - if you can find a solution to the problem, I am sure many will be very interested.

Peter

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Orava:

Intresting, I was just thinking how to recover my U70's. I Guess atmosphere were they have been plays a big role in if they go to flakes or not. I have CX100 with original foams, no sing of rot yet.

I think I'm going to wash old pads clean for a start.

Leather tend to go bad if not used, if used frequently, like the U70s, just the grease from your skin will keep the the leather fresh and soft, if left in a box or drawer it will dry out, get stiff and start breaking. And as Oreva points out, the ambient where used or stored.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder

These are the pnes I photographed for Beocentral - I have boosted the brightness so that you can see the texture of the covering. I confess to never finding the U70s very comfortable and my HD600s outperform them by a huge margin. They do look very good though!

Peter

Spiros
Not Ranked
Thessaloniki GREECE
Posts 25
Bronze Member
Spiros replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 6:34 AM
Good morning class. Enough is enough. Tomorrow all of you in my office with you guardians.

Now...... A person asks for an advice and this post becomes a battlefield. Congratulations. You should all be ashamed of your selfs.

Now stop acting like 5 year olds and grow up to your normal age.

In many cases it happens that a sense of humor is not understood and becomes a bad remark.

From my point of view everybody has the right to his own opinion and according to the experience can prove it. I fully respect the knowledge of all of you and frankly speaking everybody has given something positive in the forum.

As explained I also felt very offended by some people in the forum, therefore I just left but this is also not a solution.

I will propose the following:

Shut up all of you, say one I'm sorry as it is Christmas and continue advising.

Dear Martin, I know Leslie for many years now and I can really confirm that he had helped me very much with solutions that B&O techs would just say it's not possible, doesn't exists bla bla bla. Ok. Can be unorthodox in some cases. So what? It works? It works. So why not use it?

On the other hand dear Leslie, I know Martin and have "worked" with him since they very start of Beoworld (not even remember when back in 2000s) and has done a fantastic job preserving the knowledge and passing this through the forum.

You both make a complete technical support to everyone. So please continue like that, helping people, showing examples to all of us and that's all..........

Merry Christmas and Best regards

The Master of the Universe!!!!!
Spiros
Not Ranked
Thessaloniki GREECE
Posts 25
Bronze Member
Spiros replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 6:36 AM
And just for this posts. I really hate the U70s. They are ugly, huge and useless. But ok they sound very nice. :)
Spiros
Not Ranked
Thessaloniki GREECE
Posts 25
Bronze Member
Spiros replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 7:10 AM
Soren good morning. I'm afraid that was not polite at all and totally off the message tried to pass.

Come on. It's not correct everybody to put somebody on the wall.........

And quite honestly this I can 100% confirm. Leslie under no circumstances is a dealer. But I can also confirm that he has a huge collection which someday has to start giving away.

And I can also tell you that I had a huge collection my self that I had to sell away recently for obvious reasons. That didn't make me a dealer? Did it?

Anyways please stop all of you....
Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

God morning Spiros

You are right to a degree, and I'm done with this.

@ Max, sorry for the thread steal

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 9:14 AM

I will be editing this distasteful thread later today. I think a cooling off period is called for. I suggest we remember this is Christmas and a time of goodwill. 

Peter

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 10:01 AM

I have heavily edited this thread - I thinks tempers became frayed and some remarks did not add to the discussion. I apologise if I have made the thread a little disjointed and Spiros' s comments seem a little out of context. I left these as I feel they are relevant to the site. 

Moderating this site is usually very easy as the members are almost all well behaved and friendly. However we do come from a huge number of different countries and sometimes offence can be taken where none is meant. Also certain nationalities do wear their hearts on their sleeves rather more than the buttoned up English. I think this is one such case and I must apologise for not being around so much to nip these situations in the bud. 

I recognise as all opinions as valuable as they all add to our collective knowledge. Apologies to Max for the way this thread went - it doesn't normally happen! Embarrassed

Peter

Max
Not Ranked
Warsaw, Poland
Posts 25
Bronze Member
Max replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 10:09 AM

Surprised how hot this topic is/was ;-) Anyway, thank you for advise and sharing your experience and now I know it's common. Merry Christmas to all!

Max

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS