Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5000: Hood lifting issue / disassembly of damper

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Arlandria
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Arlandria Posted: Mon, Mar 9 2020 10:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I own a Beogram 5000 record player that is working fine, but I have a problem with the automatic lift of the hood / dust cover:

When I press the button on the front to open the hood, it only moves up a few centimetres and I have to push it up to fully open it. As far as I understand it, the coil spring built into the hood should push the lid upwards, and the "air brake" or damper (looks like a gas spring) should slow the movement down.

I've cleaned the hinges and lubricated them, but it didn't help. So I think the problem is the damper, maybe it needs some lubrication too? The problem is that I can't reach it, it's covered by a black plastic cover, anybody knows how to detach it without breaking it? 

Is that a common problem? I've googled for similar issues but couldn't even find out the correct term for the damper. In the service manual, it is part 1218 "shock reducer".

Would be very thankful for any thought on that.

Best regards,

Alex

Arlandria
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Arlandria replied on Thu, Mar 12 2020 12:38 PM

I took a picture of the gas spring.

Anybody knows how to detach that black cover? I can't imagine I'm the first one who tries it...

Cheers,

Alex

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Mar 12 2020 12:43 PM

It looks like this, but I don't remember exactly how it comes out.

Martin

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Thu, Mar 12 2020 1:00 PM

I don't know if theire is a repair procedure but, all I can tell you is that I've owned about half a dozen BG5000s and every single one has had the lid symptoms you describe!

Arlandria
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Arlandria replied on Fri, Mar 13 2020 10:48 AM

Thank you for the replies! Seems to be a common problem then, but I could fix it. Smile

On Martins picture I noted the notches on the bottom of the black cover (marked in picture). That's how the cover is fixed, you need to press it firmly on the sides, then you can pull it out. Without the damper, the lid completely opens up within half a second.

The damper consists of three parts, it's basically just three tubes fitted together. The damping effect relies only on friction. You can dissassemble the whole thing. The grease got very sticky over the years, so I cleaned it with break cleaner and lubricated it with a medium viscosity oil (I used chain fluid grease).

It works perfectly fine and it's ten minutes of work, once you know how it's done.

Maybe this will be helpful for others.

Cheers, Alex

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Mar 13 2020 2:17 PM

The grease is called Kilopoise.
Can often be found for use with dampened toilet seats.

Martin

dkwrnr
Not Ranked
Arizona, USA
Posts 3
Bronze Member
dkwrnr replied on Thu, Aug 5 2021 5:02 PM

Great helpful pics. I wish I'd found them before partially disassembling the whole cover hinge bar, and experienced the exploding wire spring feature.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS