Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 2400 + Beogram 8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member
hamacbleu Posted: Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:16 AM

Today is a bad day for me and B&O... Here's a simple question: I want to connect a beogram 8000 to a beomaster 2400 (BM 8000 died today...) The problem is the datalink: when the turntable is connected, the amp goes immediately on phono and then I can't put it into standby. I guess the turntable is sending a permanent signal to switch on the amp to phono... So I removed the 2 small pins in the din cable. It works, but using this method, I now have an hum with the phono output...

Is there a way to bypass the datalink and keep the 7 small pins?

Or probably that turntable was never meant to be used with that receiver (that is, indeed a strange combo...) but would a 4004 do the same thing since the receiver is not a 2400-2?

Thanks for your time

Guillaume

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:11 AM

It should be fine - I suggest that when taking the two pins out, you have inadvertently loosened the earth connection to the casing of the din plug - take it apart and check. I have used an 8000 with older receivers than this with no problem.

Peter

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member

Thanks Peter,

I tried every possible combinations. heres the one that has worked: I kept the 2 extra pins out of the Beogram and kept only one extra pin in the beomaster. Only it has to be the one completely on the left when looking inside the wire. Don't know if it's a normal situation (maybe the pin has a grounding role somewhat...) but it has worked and now i'm happy to have a complete system back again!

By the way, I reunited every dead components my beolab 8000 system, side by side (the gram being the only working unit now...) the bm2400 and a cdx it's just below. Although I always liked the design of the separate components, It has never occurred to me how massive and heavy the complete system his. Together they look like the board of a control room you see in a 80's movie. I think it looks best placed on separate shelves... 

And on the other end, the 2400 and cdx are slick and flat machines ahead of their time (designwise): when you think about all the touch controlling things were living with now...

It just has occurred to me that, on an industrial design perspective, the Beomaster 2400 has, maybe, better past the test of time.... so his the gram 4000-4004 over the 8000.

Guillaume

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:42 PM

I agree about the design - the 2400 was my first buy and I still love the looks. The Beogram CD4500 and Beocord 4500 match the shape beautifully, though the tape needs modification to match the DIn standards. The 2400 does suffer with red capacitors but I agree that it seems less temperamental than the 8000. Having said that, the Beolab 5000 system is even more reliable as the capacitors it uses are less prone to leakage in my experience. However all old electronics will eventually need service - even the 5000 and hence the existence of wonderful people Like Frede at Classic audio!

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS