Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

RL140 speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

hewber
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Silver Member
hewber Posted: Sun, Apr 5 2020 5:52 PM

What adhesive for replacing cloth speaker cover

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Apr 5 2020 6:21 PM

Years ago I used the 3M spray glue (Super 77) but it was messy.  I had two other people help me and had to carefully shield areas I didn't want spray to get on. It ended up working quite well but whenever I get around to restoring my other pair of RL140's I think I will use a different method. In the Beoworld archived forum there used to be a member, Leslie, that did a nice job of restoring those.  If I remember correctly he used some of that very, very thin double-sided tape and applied it to attachment points on the RL140 frame then carefully stretched the new cloth cover. That is also a little tricky but you don't have to worry about glue spray. If and when I try that method I will enlist the help of at least one other person :-).  On the raised, embossed lettering he might have used some of the spray glue there. Very thin tape might do the trick there as well. You want the lettering to show when you are done.

I might look at something like Aleene's Fabric Fusion Tape or a similar product like that. If not for the permanent securing of the fabric then at least to start out with to get the cloth in place (and held). After that you should be able to lift individual sections and apply a longer lasting tape or glue.

I also came across this glue dot solution that looks like it might be something to use around the frame.  

Whichever route you go have someone taking photos to document your procedure and post it here on the forum.

-sonavor

hewber
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Silver Member
hewber replied on Tue, Apr 7 2020 8:01 PM

I disassembled the first speaker down to three components.  Cut size of new grill fabric to allow one to two inches overlap the reverse, interior side.  Used 

Scotch 1/2” double-sided tape; lining the frame, plus using strips to wrap and glue edges of fabric all the way around it.  Presently awaiting woofer speaker repair kits before closing it all up.  (Had no clue the outer rings had deteriorated completely).  Speaker Works is a great help.  

Does anyone know where to buy replacements for the two plastic bands that complete the wrap around the grill and shell?  I still have a pair from the last efforts at this whole procedure in ‘04, but forget where I got them.  (B&O store?)  

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS