Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BV10 used as monitor and calibration (photography)

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

redil
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
redil Posted: Sat, Jan 5 2013 5:18 PM

Dear All

after our trusted BV10 has been pleasing us for two years I would now like to hook it up to my laptop, and - after calibration - want to use it as a means of displaying high quality photo images.

There are a number of stumbling blocks, that someone maybe can help me with.

1. when attaching the BV10 through straight HDMI I get an image that is heavily green, like the video card was broken. Tried this with two different laptops, same problem. HDMI on the BV10 as such is working fine: image and sound comes through HDMI from my reelbox (which is a Linux machine just like my laptops). Maybe there is some configuration required that I am not aware of?
  2. once connected I would like to calibrate the BV10 just like I do with the monitor used for digital image editing. Together with some Calibration hardware like the Spyder this requires in the first step an adjustment of the monitor in the RGB channels, followed by the calibration process which produces an ICC file which is loaded by the computer prior to feeding the monitor. Only problem is, that I have not seen anywhere a means to adjust the RBG and brightness on the BV10? 

maybe someone can help

thanks in advance

Redil

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 6:09 PM

Not familiar with the bv10 but this might be asking a lot. I would recommend a self calibrating screen such as an Eizo which can be minutely adjusted.

I have a feeling that even if you could rgb calibrate  the bv10 for digital photography it would give strange colour's for ordinary tv viewing.

redil
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
redil replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 9:29 PM

Well, calibration would result in an icc file which would be loaded on demand (or not).

And, yes, Eizo would be a good choice (and dirt cheap compared to the BV10..) but still...

Maybe there is someone who knows about RGB CALIBRATIONEN

Tomas
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member
Tomas replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 9:45 PM

A standard LCD monitor is not going to give you wide enough gamut, especially a consumer tv.

You'll end up with maybe 60% of sRBG and alot less for AdobeRBG.

And most B&O tv's are set to far above 9000k, and lacking colorcontrols.

redil
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
redil replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:26 AM

Thanks Tomas,

so there are indeed no color controls. Too bad, but anyway.

As far as the sort of "broken" green when hitching the BV10 to a laptop, any idea what that may be?

Tomas
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member
Tomas replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:58 PM

redil:

Thanks Tomas,

so there are indeed no color controls. Too bad, but anyway.

As far as the sort of "broken" green when hitching the BV10 to a laptop, any idea what that may be?

Make sure that the computer doesn't send out a "calibrated" image for something when connecting = make sure no colorprofile is selected when having the BV10 connected.

Being green sound strange given that the colortemperature is close to 9000k it should be blue?

Quim43
Not Ranked
Tarragona - Catalonia
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Quim43 replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:18 PM

Hi Redil

Have you tried entering in a Service Menu? I think you can adjust the RGB calibration there, at your own risk, of course.

Go to Menu, select Options whithout pressing Go and press 0,0, Go. In the Monitor Menu, select Picture Adjustements and then White point adjustements.

Maybe it's what you are looking for.

Regards

Quim

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 1:53 PM

Quim43:

Hi Redil

Have you tried entering in a Service Menu? I think you can adjust the RGB calibration there, at your own risk, of course.

Go to Menu, select Options whithout pressing Go and press 0,0, Go. In the Monitor Menu, select Picture Adjustements and then White point adjustements.

Maybe it's what you are looking for.

DO NOT DO THIS!!! Since the problem just occurs when you connect a computer over HDMI the problem seems to lie elsewhere. The cable or the cable adaptor (are you using one?) or your computer might be the issue. I would be very cautious about adjusting anything in the service menus. If you do enter the service menu please take pictures and write down all the numbers before you change anything so that you at least can go back.

I would not recommend using a TV-screen for photo editing or for displaying photos that need to be shown with perfect color accuracy. This is not what the TV is intended for. A TV like BV10 always tries to adjust the signal to show you the best possible picture no matter if the source material is not as good as the result.  

Working with pictures means that you are going to do quality pictures (the source material) and for that you need a monitor that shows the true image without any enhancements of any kind - and that does this perfectly - which most cheap monitors do not. I would suggest a good IPS screen that can show more colours and with a good backlight that you can adjust for the room. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

redil
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
redil replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 2:31 PM

Thanks all for the input. I conclude that the BV10 is not really suitable for the intended job of displaying photo images, although it beats me why this should be so.

cheers

Red

one addition: I am sure that all TV panels need to at least internally have the same adjustment parameters as the computer monitors.

In the case of the BV 10 the issue seems to be that  color temperature is set to 9000 with no option to change it. This implies that the the image is "cold":

red turns towards magenta the whole image shows blueish hue. This becomes clear when comparing jpgs on a calibrated monitor and the BV10.

So the question remains: is there really no way to modify in the setup somewhere the color temperature?

JackDec
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
JackDec replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:34 AM

I normal as mentioned above write down all the numbers and setting options when i receive the monitor, try it out, then hit reset.
If everything is the same, then you can comfortably know that any changes you do, can be reset back to their original position. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS