Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

SOLVED! Finding the service menu on a 1989 MX5000

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
ResidentDante Posted: Mon, May 25 2020 7:42 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and B&O TV's in general, hope I'm posting the right spot!

I'm a avid retrogamer and recently got a very good condition 1989 MX5000, bought here in Norway and made in Denmark on the back.

Picture looks very good on it, but as a gamer I use consoles with SCART RGB to get the sharpest picture, however using them shifts the picture a little to the left, leaving a black bare at the right.

I'd like to shift the picture to the right, horizontally. However I'm having real trouble finding any documentation on finding the service menu (I am far from technical competent on the insides of the TV), I have not found a marked service mode pins on the main board at the back of the TV either like later models. And yes I know about the flyback voltage, I have only opened the back to take pictures and not touched anything inside.

Back panel:

What I suspect is the service mode on a service manual, but this is just me suspecting it:

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 25 2020 8:26 AM

Hi and welcome!

From what I can see in the service manual on the site, there is no simple Service Mode like that found in later B&O TVs.  It's a case of adjusting potentiometers etc whilst viewing a test signal.  I don't recommend this  unless you know what you are doing!

There is a Service Counter menu that you reach by going to the Set Clock menu and inputting:

Time: 33:30 am

Date: Mar 16 3250 Thu

and then pressing Play, whereupon you will see various timers.

Apparently if you then press 2 an 'OSD colour adjustment picture appears', but I doubt that you can do much with it without digging further into the electronics.

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Thank you so much for a fast answer! I don’t think I’ll be digging into the actual hardware to change anything no! But I can try that tip with the clock setting, I guess setting the clock is described in the manual.

How I wish these old TVs had an easier service menu! I know it’s a really old set, but it looks so cool and the picture is nice.

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Not finding the set timer section in the remote manual. Is it a special button on the controller?

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member
solderon29 replied on Mon, May 25 2020 10:07 AM

This looks like the American version of the MX5000,it used a different chassis to the UK version.

It does have a service mode,but I don't think there is a horizontal picture shift option.

You seem to have the manual,so there is a full explanation of how to get into the service mode,and what can be adjusted there.All the adjustments are done with Beolink 1000,via onscreen menu's

The service mode link is on the pcb shown in your picture.It's marked there as P700( service mode)and is just above ,I think the left hand Scart connector.

Take great care in there sir!!!

Nick

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 25 2020 10:26 AM

ResidentDante:

Not finding the set timer section in the remote manual. Is it a special button on the controller?

If I have the right model of TV (noting Nick's response) then you should just press TV then MENU, and SET CLOCK should be third in the list.

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

solderon29:

This looks like the American version of the MX5000,it used a different chassis to the UK version.

It does have a service mode,but I don't think there is a horizontal picture shift option.

You seem to have the manual,so there is a full explanation of how to get into the service mode,and what can be adjusted there.All the adjustments are done with Beolink 1000,via onscreen menu's

The service mode link is on the pcb shown in your picture.It's marked there as P700( service mode)and is just above ,I think the left hand Scart connector.

Take great care in there sir!!!

Nick

I just can't see the P700 markings anywhere, I've looked closely and can't see them.

I don't it's  the US model as it's bought here in Norway, the label on the back is like this:

Guy:

ResidentDante:

If I have the right model of TV (noting Nick's response) then you should just press TV then MENU, and SET CLOCK should be third in the list.

Ah, my menu button brings up this super primitive selection of Timer on/off and two boxes to designate the two AV1 and AV2 ports to Sat, v.tape buttons etc. on the remote.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 25 2020 2:21 PM

I think that a Type 3261 may be an MX5500.

In the MX5500 service manual it says to remove rear panel, press TV and short circuit the service mode plug P48 on PCB5 - which is the PCB in your photo.  According to the manual it is bottom-right of the PCB.

EDIT: I just opened up your photo full size and can now see the 2 pins!

Top tip - take photos of each screen before you start mucking around with service mode settings, then you can always revert back to what you had!

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Thanks so much!! I will test this out, those pins really do look like the right ones too. 

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Guy:

I think that a Type 3261 may be an MX5500.

In the MX5500 service manual it says to remove rear panel, press TV and short circuit the service mode plug P48 on PCB5 - which is the PCB in your photo.  According to the manual it is bottom-right of the PCB.

EDIT: I just opened up your photo full size and can now see the 2 pins!

Top tip - take photos of each screen before you start mucking around with service mode settings, then you can always revert back to what you had!

So an update and a big thanks here for the great help I got! It's not easy finding any info on this TV elsewhere than on this forum.

Here's a little guide for those that search up this topic at a later point in time:

1. Unplug TV and remove back cover, four screws in each corner. Pull the back cover straight out back, no bending up and away, get the back cover far out and away from the neck of the tube inside.
  2. Plug in the TV and turn it on TV mode. Don't touch ANYTHING in the back except, the two little pins for service mode. Use a tip of a screwdriver to touch both and hold it there for two seconds. Here is a pic of the back panel and the pins close up to the right of the AV1 port: 
  3. On your screen the service mode will appear! Here's what it looks like:
  4. Picture setup lets you alter colours etc. Geometry menu lets you fiddle about with the actual placement of the picture, as I was using RGB SCARTS from my old gaming consoels the picture typically centers itself too much to the left, so I had to alter it too the right by increasing the H Phase number. Take a note or pic of all the settings before fiddling about! Here's what that Geometry menu looks like:
  5. Press quit and your settings are saved. Safely turn off TV and put that back cover back on!

Here's a handy little guide for those Geometry settings:

Hope this helps other MX5000 owners!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, May 26 2020 9:23 AM

I am glad it worked, and thanks for the detailed instructions and photos for others.  This sort of information is invaluable as the equipment gets older.

So are you sure that the TV is a MX5000 rather than an MX5500?

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

I'm not entirely sure. On this website the 5000 is listed as released from 1988 and onwards, my TV is marked with a 1989 production year. 5500 is from 1990 and upwards, but of course there could be differences with regions etc. Maybe it is a 5500, as the inside seemed to be the same when you checked the schematics.

Maybe I should change the title to reflect this?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, May 26 2020 2:24 PM

That "1989" on the back of your telly is not the production year, it's the copyright year of the design.

Anyway, well done! That horizontal shift with RGB input is inherent with all B&O tellies with this similar chassis, so there was nothing actually wrong. The usual setting works when picture is decoded from composite PAL, which introduces a delay. When the set switches to RGB, there is no decoding needed and the picture signals reach the tube earlier with relation to the sync pulses, shifting the image to the left.

--mika

ResidentDante
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

I see! Thanks again for the input here on the forum, it's been very valuable as there isn't much other info to get elsewhere on the net. I hope the pictures will help others seeking the same problem!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS