Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram TX2 Mexico

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member
Søren Mexico Posted: Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:22 AM

Opened the TX2 today, found following failures.

Missing excenter for 17 cm adjustment, will make a new one.

Oxidized fuse holders

Missing spring for wire, will find one in the shack.

Missing E-clip for wire drive wheel.

Solder side of PCB 1 has some funny looking repair.

Missing belts, have one for platter drive, will look for one for the sliding chassis

Overveiw

Missing excenter

Oxidized fuse holders

PCB 1 repair.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Apparent wiring mods look  like factory mod. I have seen this before on other decks.

Regards Graham

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Thank you Graham, made the missing excenter yesterday as I had the lathe running anyway, took measurements from a photo in another thread and came up with OD 11 Mm, I made the excenter offset 1.2 mm that gives me an adjustment of 2.4 mm, I hope that is enough.

As I wanted to attach the drive string, it turned out to be about 20 mm short, check the pic and tell me if it is original or not.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 6:52 AM

There should be a spring too which could make up for the missing 20mm.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dillen:

There should be a spring too which could make up for the missing 20mm.

Martin

I know the spring should be there, I calculated the spring to about 20 mm, still missing 20 mm, the string is correct attached and the loop just passes the guide gap in the right side of the carriage

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 7:35 AM

Are you sure you have the path correct, also around the large black wheel ?

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Are you sure you have the path correct, also around the large black wheel ?

Martin

Exactly like in the manual

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I will place it and take a pic tomorrow, getting late hereSmile

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The cord for the carriage turned out too short, so I found a cotton thread, thicker then the original, but useable for tests, an old belt from a Beocord was cut to length and super glued, to fit the carriage drive. Assembled, after cleaning, lubricating everything and put in a new fuse I tested all functions turning the pulley by hand, then put on the platter belt and a 45 record, I could adjust the set down point with the new eccentric, but the next one will get more offset.

I went on adjusting platter height, sensor arm height and then the tonearm height, not possible, the adjustment screw was very hard turned in to the last thread. Found out the the lower small triangle support was broken. Took the carriage apart, to get at the broken piece,

Here the cable assembly with components.

I then placed the support in my wise, drilled a 1.5 mm hole, exactly where the triangle was broken off.

Inserted a pin from a 5 pin Din plug with epoxy, left to dry. Will cut to length and try it tomorrow. I maybe will have to file the triangle form to fit, but will check as is first.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:59 AM

I enjoy repairs like this.
Very rewarding.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I could finish the TX2 today, well not finished, but now I know it will work like it is supposed to. It is working with a piece of cotton thread with an old Beocord belt, instead of the tension spring, as carriage cord, a cut and glued belt from a Beocord for the carriage drive and an old platter belt, from a BG 6500 i think.

The support repair turned out OK

Here with the balance piece

Next time, if ever, I will desolder the tonearm wires, its a PIB to work with them attached, I was very nervous about damaging these, I got pull on them a couple of times during dis assembly and assembly. Here together again

First test with 45 record, set down perfect, set off also, lift works, move carriage works, it all worksBig Smile

Here 33 record, same, all works.

Cleaned up the deck and platter one more time, and here the beauty.

Now connected and playing James Brown, Everybody´s doin´ the hustle and dead on the double bump.Laughing

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:33 PM

Nice job as always, Søren Yes - thumbs up

So nice to see every time when one of those beautiful classic TT's is saved, instead of ending up in the scrapyard.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I´m not too impressed with the build quality, (same as the BG 6500) and as for the look, I will have to let it grow on me, will order parts from Martin and a MMC4 from Axel, I still dont know where to place it, it doesn´t fit to any of my BMs. It does play rather good though.

Well now I have a Tangential Laughing

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 9:19 AM

Splendid work!

//Bo.
A long list...

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 6:07 PM

Søren Mexico:

I´m not too impressed with the build quality, (same as the BG 6500) and as for the look, I will have to let it grow on me, will order parts from Martin and a MMC4 from Axel, I still dont know where to place it, it doesn´t fit to any of my BMs. It does play rather good though.

Well now I have a Tangential Laughing

I'll take it off your hands when it comes time to sell.  PizzaMoon

Find yourself an NAD 7175PE receiver to match it up with, plus a pair of Dahlquist DQ10 loudspeakers.

But more seriously, congratulations on another well done project.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 11:25 PM

Søren Mexico:

You're absolutely right about the build quality. A real shame thet they used so much cheap plastic parts in the mechanism - Nylon wheels and small plastic tabs that can break. And that infamous little metal triangle in the arm-base piece Super Angry

Incredible that the engineers managed to get that much sound quality after all. Yes - thumbs up

I do like the looks of those tangentials - i both have a 9500 (which I think is the best looking) and a 5500 - which of course looks good with the 5500/5000 system Cool 
And - as I said - it's important that we do our best to keep those alive and well for years to come.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I have been looking at TX for a couple of days now, and thinking about what the designers goal was with this design. I am convinced that he wanted a neutral, nearly not to be seen design, and he did just that. I placed the TX where before the BG 2404 was placed, the 2404 always were seen and commented upon, the few guests today didn´t see the TX, until I opened it and put on a record, the tangential drive did attract some comments, like very sophisticated, high class TT, and the sort, where as the radial decks never got any comments, just seen as a "normal TT", most comments I get on the BG 1202. mainly for the platter with the pegs.

I think it may be a keeper after all. 

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 11:17 PM

Søren Mexico:

I have been looking at TX for a couple of days now, and thinking about what the designers goal was with this design. I am convinced that he wanted a neutral, nearly not to be seen design, and he did just that. I placed the TX where before the BG 2404 was placed, the 2404 always were seen and commented upon, the few guests today didn´t see the TX, until I opened it and put on a record, the tangential drive did attract some comments, like very sophisticated, high class TT, and the sort, where as the radial decks never got any comments, just seen as a "normal TT", most comments I get on the BG 1202. mainly for the platter with the pegs.

I think it may be a keeper after all. 

Oh yes. The size of this series of TT's was of course dictated by the size of the 5000/5500 etc. -series components.
The TX is the most neutral design with its grey cabinet. But quite clever how they managed to make this line of Beograms fit a lot of their systems by using 2 different dustcovers and 2 different cabinets (frames) -and a lot of different materials/colors.

Definitely a keeper Yes - thumbs up

The 1200 series is one of the best looking Beograms ever. My first Beogram was a 1203 Cool

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Soren

A superb job! Well done.

I also don't like these Type 59xx TT's. Very flimsy.  

My current love is a much modified BG1203, and waiting for Evan to fabricate me more mod pieces. Stunning sound. Custom Nude Shibata from Axel.

I have a BG4000 awaiting restoration, and that's about it. I like to use what I have, and if I don't use it, I sell it.

Menahem

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Today, after 41 days I got my belt and string from Martin, Mexpost and the Mexican custom does good work, take their time and do their job, I will have to speak with some drug shipper, they are way faster.

I paid Martin for the belt, the string and a P45 emblem he found in his dungeon and gave me for free (well, I owe him a couple of beers), thanks Martin.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:
I paid Martin for the belt, the string and a P45 emblem he found in his dungeon and gave me for free (well, I owe him a couple of beers), thanks Martin.

Today I could put the wire string and belt from Martin in place, no problem. But just as I finished the light went, blackout for 2 hours, just came back. I´m thinking about changing the few caps in there, but the deck works perfectly and the caps measures very good, so why repair if it isn't broken.

Jeff told me in the BM 4400 thread to get a BG 4000 or 4002 or 4004, I dont think I will be able to hear any difference in sound, and except for my 1202 all my BGs has MMC4 or SMMC4, and I am not going to by a BG that cant use a MMC4, My favorite, sound wise, is the BG 5000, beats my BM 2404 and the TX2.

Checking the speed on these decks, the only one that has variation, is the 1202, the other decks never shows variations and my power is going up and down from 105 to 127 Vac.

I have repaired a BG 6500 for a friend, that one is similar to the TX2, same tangential drive, and the electronics nearly the same except for the preamp in the 6500, we checked the 6500 with a MMC4 and crosschecked with the same MMC4 on my BG 5000, I could hear no difference, my friend told me that his BM 6500 sounded a little better than the 5000. I dont think so, to my ears, old and heavily used, no difference.

What I dont want is running into problems, the radial decks are simple and good working, easy to service and maintain, where as the 4000 and 8000 series can give a lot of problems, take a look at Johns (Sonavors) thread about his BM 8002, I think it was.

I just bought a RX, I will compare it with my BG 5000 to see the differences in build and electronics.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:48 PM

For build quality you want a 4000. It will also be likely to cause you as much stress as the 4400 so would be a good match! Big Smile

If you insist on the MMC1-5 cartridge, maybe a 8002 but nothing like as well made as the 4000. If you do get a 4000, I will give you a cartridge!

Peter

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:50 PM

And I agree with you - the 5000 sounds better than the 6500!

Peter

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:16 PM

Peter:

For build quality you want a 4000. It will also be likely to cause you as much stress as the 4400 so would be a good match! Big Smile

If you insist on the MMC1-5 cartridge, maybe a 8002 but nothing like as well made as the 4000. If you do get a 4000, I will give you a cartridge!

The 4000 is like Unobtanium over here, though.  The 4002 can be had by anyone willing to spend the money.

I don't own a 4000, but I do have the 4002.  One of the great "features" of the 4002 is how easy it all comes apart for service or shipment!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:18 PM

I am sure we could find one over here!!

Peter

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Peter:
I am sure we could find one over here!!

I have been checking prices on the Bay worldwide, and the BG 4000 is not easy to find, and when, it runs into serious money, too much for me at the moment. But if I am going to buy one more deck it will be a BG 4000.

I hope to go to DK in late August or September, so I'm checking there also, the plan is a reel to reel, and as you guys insist to give me something to work on, a BG 4000.

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS