Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 2400 + Beogram 3404 troubleshoot

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

peterkrogh
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
peterkrogh Posted: Wed, Aug 12 2020 3:14 PM

I'm trying to put my late father's B&O system back into full service. 
Beomaster 2400 works fine, except for one volume light is out. I can live with that. Tape deck works fine, but having problems with the turntable.

Here's what I think I'm observing.
Put a record on, sounds fine for the first few tracks, then gets super fuzzy, like the needle is covered in dust. Needle is clean. Go back to opening tracks and the fuzz is now present on those tracks.

Since the receiver generally plays fine, I'm assuming that there is something wrong with the preamp, maybe a bad capacitor that starts failing as it gets warm.

Does this sound like a known problem? Is there anything in the turntable that could do this, or its this likely something in the amplifier.

Note that the cartridge and stylus are old.  

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Aug 12 2020 4:15 PM

Correct tracking force?

Aging capacitors in the Beomaster causes the strangest problems. Something like this could easily be the result.
A kit exists - lamp kits too (Beoparts).

There are no electronics in the signal path in the Beogram.

Martin

peterkrogh
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Martin - thanks for the reply. I'll pull the turntable out and verify that it's a time thing not a "position on the record" thing. 
It is possible that bad tracking would make the interior tracks sound bad while the outer tracks sounded okay?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Aug 12 2020 6:37 PM

peterkrogh:

It is possible that bad tracking would make the interior tracks sound bad while the outer tracks sounded okay?

Yes, it's possible.
And the same can happen if the stylus is worn.
You will hear this as distortion, not as fading or mumbled channels, though, and it will not be present in the first tracks later, unless there from the start (or the stylus is worn enough or tracking force set high enough to ruin the record permanently).

Martin

peterkrogh
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Hooked the turntable back up, and seem to be getting much better results.

I looked closely at the stylus and there was some significant crud on the tip. I cleaned it, but there's nothing in this house that will magnify closely enough to get a really clear look at the point. Will need to find something for that. I also adjusted the tracking - it was pretty close - off by 2/10 of a gram, I think.

Played an entire album and the fuzzbox has not yet returned. Will continue to monitor it. and see if that was the problem. I'll try to play records all day (I don't work from the room where this stereo is located) and see if there is really any time-related issue in the preamp. 

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS