Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New Century Tape Idler Cog? (3D printed vs actual part vs new tape mech?)

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin Posted: Tue, Sep 15 2020 1:44 AM

I posted a week or so ago about how my Century tape mech worked when I removed a snapped tape. Anyway, I noticed that it was skipping a bit today when I went once again to use it. After a few seconds the pickup spool started jumping.  Anyway, I opened it up a bit more and the orange clutch/idler wheel that goes between the two reels is missing a cog

1) Does anyone here sell or make them? I'm not sure whether this is the sort of stuff that 3D printing is strong enough to make these days?

2) If not is the tape it itself something that can be replaced? I think this from the era when the tape mechanism was bought in and presumably shared with other non-B&O players in which case is there a 'general/commodity' name for the unit?

At least the radio works but I'm hoping that the unit doesn't turn into an overly decorated radio.

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

it's pretty common for that gear to disintegrate over time, it doesn't seem to be able to take the forces.

I don't think it's possible to replace that part without breaking something along the way of disassembly, everything is cheap plastic. I would look for another Century with a working tape drive and swap it out.

Good luck!

Bill

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Tue, Sep 15 2020 2:44 AM

I actually got down to seeing it by taking the piece of that covers it (the bit that goes up/down on play) off. It's just a snap fit that holds it so not too bad. And to get that cog out is pretty easy at this point really, if someone had a stock.

I agree about it being cheap though. I had a BeoSystem 5500 a few years ago which was 20 years older but had a far superior tape deck. I guess I'd rather live without than go through the hassle of cannibalising parts, especially as I'm in the US where B&O is rarer than it was in Europe. I just have a sentimental attachment, it was the first vaguely expensive B&O thing I bought (from Lee about 15 years ago!)

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Wed, Sep 16 2020 5:00 AM

I came across an eBay seller who is selling some of the (more lucrative) bits to a century that was physically damaged. He thinks he probably has the tape deck in the pile of bits he didn't think were worth much.

After research, it seems that this was a Phillips deck that B&O bought in. I need to check on whether a Phillips community exists with the spares/parts to replace the cog as it surely must go a lot. It's a fairly simply 'plastic cog on an axle on a swivel' setup so if I get a replacement deck I'll keep the old one for potentially scanning and CAD modelling. If someone is reading this in a few years time then then PM me to see what happened.

PeterBeo
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
PeterBeo replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 3:04 PM

Hello Calvin

I think you are right about that its a Philips taperecorder ( DCC300 / DCC600)

On Ebay is a seller ( appleoff666sodom) where you can order new gear weels for the century and they look similar as the Philips

I just orderd a set, let you no if they fit wel

Vr gr Peter

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS