Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolit 20 launched!

rated by 0 users
This post has 61 Replies | 2 Followers

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Thanks about the Sonos Move, 

We can agree that Wifi is clever in many use cases, no argue there.

But as a company B&O needs to make product for many different use cases, and not only yours.

It would be strange if they gave up on Bluetooth speakers, as they still sell and most companies still makes them.

And high res on a speaker in this range, why bother.

The wifi on Beolit 12 was not a great success there was are reason why they changed that. You call it ahead of its time, I think most would say a bad design.

You want a new product which is fine, but the Beolit is Blutooth for now at least.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 3:14 PM
Michael:

Dont be so upset. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine is that the Beolit 12 could be so much more. A universal portable device with bluetooth and wifi for simple connectivity and EASE. It would be another product to help people come into a nicer solution with multi room, casting and sending audio without the annoying "pairing" step in between. The other B&O devices that can utilize wifi for sound is much more expensive, at least the only one with a battery. I love the Beolit sound and form factor so for me it would have been a top contender if it added wifi. Sonos move for example is a great example and there is tons of speakers with both wifi and bluetooth. If you dont believe me, just use google and look for yourself. I just don't see why not to include wifi in a device at this sound quality, size and price point. It would make so much sense and now it is just a missed opportunity. Bluetooth is "OK" but still only 4.2 and for me the really annoying thing with Bluetooth is that it will remember the different connected devices and be paired to several simultaneously. This is good when you are ONE user using one device at a time, but when you have friends or family then the speaker will stop as soon as someone types a single digit on an android phone or someone gets a text message etc. It is really annoying and is a constant issue when my friend have parties at his place with a BeoPlay A1. It sounds great - until someone accidentally play a sound and it stops whatever it played. Bluetooth isn't either very high res, and it requires a device to continously stream to it. With wifi it would be possible to use without having to send audio from a device as it could pull it from the network itself. I use sonos for that every day now, just press play and I get my classical morning radio. No phone needed. And with Homepod and homepod mini there is an agressive selling point with siri assistant and integration with homekit etc. I mention it as I think it will be a strong rival to other speakers, including B&O. So launching a simple bluetooth speaker today in the form factor, and concept that BeoLit is.. its just stupid. Its meant to be plugged in and be portable when you want to bring it with you. It could be both beneficially and now sadly it is not. And, dont forget if it had wifi that you wouldnt have to go up to the unit itself and first turn it on, it would just always BE on - ready to play whatever. The more I think about it the more frustrated I get that B&O didn't realize a wifi solution for it. I mean, even the first Beolit 12 had wifi and airplay. It was before its time but it was awesome!

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)

Well Said Michael! I Understand what you saying, for Competitive sake! Multi-room would’ve been Very essential! I’ve the 15 and 17 and can’t even play it together as Stereo Speakers! I went to a friend’s Place recently, and he was Playing Two Sonos Speakers which gave an amazing Sound while Beolit can’t do that! So right there, B&O is loosing Business! We all want the Best for the Company, but with their Pedigree, little things like these, should be well cultivated! Please B&O, Pay Attention to this Forum! Your Future Success is All being Underlined here! Good Luck B&O!👍🏿
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 3:26 PM
Emil Jensen:

Thanks about the Sonos Move,

We can agree that Wifi is clever in many use cases, no argue there.

But as a company B&O needs to make product for many different use cases, and not only yours.

It would be strange if they gave up on Bluetooth speakers, as they still sell and most companies still makes them.

And high res on a speaker in this range, why bother.

The wifi on Beolit 12 was not a great success there was are reason why they changed that. You call it ahead of its time, I think most would say a bad design.

You want a new product which is fine, but the Beolit is Blutooth for now at least.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset

The only reason it wasn’t a success on 12 was that it wasn’t well working. Nowadays WiFi is better.

I have many small Bluetooth speakers for mainly portable use. As I wrote I see beolit 12 as a more stationary speaker.

Anyway, Emil, it a obvious you have an agenda and I am not here to persuade you. I just say what I think and what matters to me. Your interests might be different of course.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 3:28 PM
jowus:

Well Said Michael! I Understand what you saying, for Competitive sake! Multi-room would’ve been Very essential! I’ve the 15 and 17 and can’t even play it together as Stereo Speakers! I went to a friend’s Place recently, and he was Playing Two Sonos Speakers which gave an amazing Sound while Beolit can’t do that! So right there, B&O is loosing Business! We all want the Best for the Company, but with their Pedigree, little things like these, should be well cultivated! Please B&O, Pay Attention to this Forum! Your Future Success is All being Underlined here! Good Luck B&O!👍🏿

Thanks and yes that’s part of it. I don’t know if Sonos allows different units to play together but it’s a pity B&O don’t.

I hope they will iterate and do a more flexible solution. And hey, honestly the only reason I even have Sonos is that I don’t like that I have to turn on my beolit by walking up to it and that all sounds are transferred due to Bluetooth.

Nonetheless, I still have it and I won’t buy the 20. Happy weekend people Smile

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 6:43 PM

Apparently there was a queue outside my local store waiting to buy!!

Ban boring signatures!

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Puncher:

Ban boring signatures!

Really?

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Oct 31 2020 9:38 AM

seethroughyou:
Puncher:

Ban boring signatures!

Really?

Err.....No! Turns out it was just a bloke walking his dog who'd stopped to talk to the Milkman who was saying that however many times they try and relaunch it and, regardless of this years pastel shades, it still looks like a gas mask case!

Ban boring signatures!

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member

I can see the gasmask case in the design lines. They just need to do it in this colour.

Big Smile

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

You can support Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. At this price point, people will expect more than BT4.2. Let’s admit this was a missed opportunity and move on. The Beloit 20 could have been a more affordable BS1 type speaker. 

Apple HomePod failed because it is a one-trick pony (they should have added BT support and one reason I keep the M5 ). But for Apple it’s not their core business. 

Anyway..... 

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Oct 31 2020 1:06 PM
Jaffrey2230:

You can support Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. At this price point, people will expect more than BT4.2. Let’s admit this was a missed opportunity and move on. The Beloit 20 could have been a more affordable BS1 type speaker.

Apple HomePod failed because it is a one-trick pony (they should have added BT support and one reason I keep the M5 ). But for Apple it’s not their core business.

Anyway.....

My B&O Home:

Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office) Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core (Bedroom) Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room) Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable) Beoplay M5 (Dining) Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel) Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired) Beoplay P6 (Portable) Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance) Beoremote X (poor man's Halo )

And Apple are seemingly happy to improve a products capability over time, which they will be the HomePod line.

My sisters household has far more money than i do, and despite being pretty design conscious, both her and her husband bought a bunch of Homepods for the house. They took a good look at my stuff (A9, BS2) but decided against. They’re Apple Music users, so Homepods are easy for them.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sat, Oct 31 2020 1:58 PM

Sandyb:
And Apple are seemingly happy to improve a products capability over time, which they will be the HomePod line.
Apparently not: The brand-new Homepod Mini doesn't support Bluetooth audio, either, although the BT antenna is inside for setup purposes & handoff feature.  Walled Garden Must Be Maintained At All Costs.  (Edit: Will some future Homepod ][ have a battery and support Bluetooth audio? I wouldn't take bets...)

But to your sister (and to me) original Homepods are pleasant and unostentatious -- way less fancy but a charming shape and surface, relative to the Balance -- and they sound OK, even as compared to the Beosound 1.  Alas, tone controls are not supported at all(!) which makes people complain about the bass boost their auto-mics apply.  Worse, personal login with 2FA is required, even to act as an open Airplay endpoint -- there is no "speaker only mode" to not use Siri & not control your Homekit devices.  (Edit2: Back on topic: Certainly she chose Homepods over the chunky lunch-pail Beolits!  Regardless of whether or not she wants to take them outside or talk to them...)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Oct 31 2020 3:24 PM
trackbeo:

Apparently not: The brand-new Homepod Mini doesn't support Bluetooth audio, either, although the BT antenna is inside for setup purposes & handoff feature. Walled Garden Must Be Maintained At All Costs. (Edit: Will some future Homepod ][ have a battery and support Bluetooth audio? I wouldn't take bets...)

But to your sister (and to me) original Homepods are pleasant and unostentatious -- way less fancy but a charming shape and surface, relative to the Balance -- and they sound OK, even as compared to the Beosound 1. Alas, tone controls are not supported at all(!) which makes people complain about the bass boost their auto-mics apply. Worse, personal login with 2FA is required, even to act as an open Airplay endpoint -- there is no "speaker only mode" to not use Siri & not control your Homekit devices. (Edit2: Back on topic: Certainly she chose Homepods over the chunky lunch-pail Beolits! Regardless of whether or not she wants to take them outside or talk to them...)

Of course, they are not without their Apple specific quirks.

But I’m pretty confident that having established at least some presence in home audio, over the coming years Apple will broaden the range of their home speakers from the less to the more capable.

Thats the path that many Apple lines have followed, and they’ll do the same again with home audio devices. Thats what i meant by improving their offering over time.

And therein lies the issue - ecosystems are powerful as we can all see, and the tech firms will leverage existing product relationships to promote new lines of products. Add to this that the trend for the last 20 years or so is, for many, to have home audio gear that disappears into the background (more than before). HomePods and the like do this, and while I wouldn’t be happy with a bunch of them, their sound isn’t so bad.

For my sister, pretty well funded, the choices between one BS1 or a bunch of Homepods was not a long thought process. My other sister went for a Bluesound streamer and additional BlueOS speakers - the comparison here being the BlueOS app / software is pretty good now (not the stripped down bare bones offering from B&O).

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Sat, Oct 31 2020 3:33 PM
Jaffrey2230:

Let’s admit this was a missed opportunity and move on.

Maybe B&O should provide some sort of consistency in terms of ecosystem.

All of the lineup should easily and seamlessly connectable to each other, that it is not the picture we see today.

Beolit 20, together with the B&O products placed at the lower price point, might have been some sort of “Trojan horse” for new customers if it had some specific B&O feature, other than the beautiful design.

Right now it is just another Bluetooth speaker in the game and too close to the previous Beolit 17 (5 W Qi charging surface is a nice but not revolutionary feature).

My 2c.

Olivier
BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Wed, Dec 16 2020 2:10 PM

Anyone have any idea if the Beolit 20 is also going to come in pink? Not really keen on either of the currently available colours. Did the previous versions launch with the pink on day one or did it only come later? Just trying to get an idea on the likelihood of it happening.

I could just get the Beolit 17 I guess but I very much like the battery life upgrade and the wireless charger can definitely come in handy so I’m kinda leaning towards the Beolit 20. I guess the “grey” one looks okay but I’ll definitely regret buying it if they do eventually decide to release the Beolit 20 in pink so I’m a little stuck now and I’m in need of another speaker and preferably sooner rather than later.

My dealer apparently has lots of stock for the Beolit 17 in pink though, so not sure how well this colour is selling. 

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Pink was not a standard colour, it came later.

Will it come in Beolab 20?

Hard to say, but the same special colour in two different gen products have not been seen before if I remember correct. So dont count on in. 

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
Posts 174
Bronze Member
ebnrob replied on Wed, Dec 16 2020 2:51 PM

Michael:

The only reason it wasn’t a success on 12 was that it wasn’t well working. Nowadays WiFi is better.

I have many small Bluetooth speakers for mainly portable use. As I wrote I see beolit 12 as a more stationary speaker.

I have the beolit 15 and wish it had airplay 2 and b&o multiroom. My beolit has never left home, but does move between rooms and occasionally out to the garden in the summer. I don't use bluetooth on it, instead I have a chromecast audio dongle stuck to the back. What the beolit desperately needs is the M3 internals. Without hesitation I would upgrade it if b&o did this and it would certainly get more use than my Beolit 15 does. It would need the ability to remain on standby when powered on mains so it can be woken up from wifi - the current auto power off timeout on mains is an annoyance.

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Thu, Dec 17 2020 2:07 AM

Both the Beolit 15 & 17 came in pink, so I’m somewhat optimistic that the 20 might get it eventually. Didn’t know it wasn’t a launch colour though, oh well. I might wait a couple of months (I believe the pink A1 Gen2 came out about two months after the original colours).

Battery life is going to be a big deal for my specific use-case for this speaker so I think I’d rather wait than get the Beolit 17 for now.  

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Thu, Dec 17 2020 2:40 AM

There is a cheap fix for this. I have actually talked with Leo’sgonewild about it for the A6. Just buy a Chromecast audio dongle (they are quite cheap on eBay) and it gives you fabulous streaming quality and capabilities. I bought three of them and have been very happy with them. They make the Beolit 15 much more useful and probably would do the same for the Beolit 20, depending on whether it has a 3.5 mm Jack.

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Thu, Dec 17 2020 4:29 AM

I just don't get why they can't put a radio in there too, an AMFM circuit must cost like 2 Euros or something. I remember when the first version of came out first back in 2012 [?] and I would have gotten one if I had the ability to listen to the radio, without having to stream an app from my phone (which would kill the battery in about an hour or two).  I love listening to sports and talk radio when I'm working outdoors and right now my only option is the BeoSound 3 (the original tall one from 2006 with its SD card reader). And that is a fantastic little kit, especially now that I made up a collection of 20 SD albums. But I'd rather drop $1000 and a modern bluetooth device that also had radio.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Dec 17 2020 6:46 AM

FM and AM will be dead very soon. That’s why B&O gave up on them many many years ago (I guess the BeoSound 4 was the last product with FM?). And you’d have to factor in the need for extra controls, design, antennae placement etc. Retail would go up with 50 euro at a minimum. That’s a lot for a feature that almost no one needs and will be obsolete soon.

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
Posts 174
Bronze Member
ebnrob replied on Thu, Dec 17 2020 7:22 AM

DAB would be a good rather than FM.

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 1:26 PM

This is very much a "where do you live" question. If you're in Europe and especially if you're in a city then DAB is a thing but I have friends who barely get mobile phone reception and my parents live about 10 miles from any DAB reception. I'm not even talking about especially remote areas, just the regular countryside.

Page 2 of 2 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS