Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocenter 4000 (T1603) Tape Playback Problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member

Evening All,

I dusted down this Beocenter that I recapped a few years ago with the intention of sorting out a longstanding tape playback problem.

All mechanical functions appear to be in order (I fitted one of Martin's nice belt kits), but tape playback is at best in one channel only, or very faintly in both.

There is clearly a problem with or in the vicinity of the P53 connector on the Dolby board as gently poking it causes left channel dropout or resumption.  The VU meter works correctly.

The l and r signal out from the tape section passes through 2 J-FETs which are turned on when +30V is applied through a couple of reverse biased signal diodes.

I have the correct +30V on playback (and the correct -15V in all other conditions).  The two signal diodes are good (but I replaced them anyway).  The J-FETs appear to be good.

I don't have a test tape so is there any way of injecting a signal from a generator to try to establish where it's dropping out?

Thanks,

Simon

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member

And the relevant bit of the circuit:

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member

I think this relay on the Dolby board is on the signal path between the playback amplifier and the Dolby processor.

I removed it and find that one of the normally closed pole pairs is intermittent or high ohms.

It may not be the whole story but it needs replacing so if anyone has a decent used one they are willing to part with, please PM me.  I've not had much success trying to repair them.

They are now obsolete but various sellers in China stock the Panasonic NF4EB-24v which I think is the same. 

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member

I will replace the 4 pole c/o relay with 2 Omron 12v relays with the coils in series.

The faulty component in the signal path turns out to be the NE545B Dolby processor.  The signal was going in but not emerging.

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member

My relay replacement for the old National relay is in place and now provides a reliable signal path.

The breakout pcb was made for me in China (5 USD for 10 plus shipping Smile ) and arrived at my door in the UK less than nine days after ordering.  A couple of Omron G6K dpdt relays provide the four way switching function.  I mounted them in such a way as to observe coil polarity as the Omrons have a polarised coil.

I replaced the Dolby IC and normal service is now resumed at least as far as playback is concerned.

Which is not to say there aren't a host of further problems that need fixing which will keep me busy through lockdown.

Merry Christmas,all.

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member

One problem which caused a certain amount of head scratching is that sometimes the tapehead bridge only retracts to the Pause condition (semi-retracted) when Stop is invoked after Play - rather than the Stop condition (fully retracted).  In the Pause condition, the cassette cannot be ejected and I had to cycle through Play and Stop again to get to a condition where it could be ejected.

Performing mechanical adjustments on this deck requires B&O adjustment tools which I would guess are now as rare as hens' teeth.  My (hopeful) suspicion with this fault was that it was an intermittent failure of the analogue control circuitry rather than a mechanical misadjustment of the solenoid which drives the tapehead bridge.  Without the necessary experience and tools, my mechanical 'adjustments' would be unlikely to end in convergence.

The obvious first step was to check the pull-in switch board (PC27) which drives the two solenoids.  Voltages in Play mode seemed to be ok, but I pulled the board (a bit of a faff) to check components.  Everything seemed to be in spec, but as a precaution I changed the 1N4148 diode and the 18v Zener that clips off any peaks in the unstabilised 30v supply.

I have no idea if changing these components could have made a difference, or whether reflowing the board has helped, but the original intermittent problem after a few days has not reappeared.  Yet, that is.

If anyone can throw light on this that would be great.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS