Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BV7 40 MK3 Surround sound question

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder
danezro Posted: Fri, Dec 11 2020 6:11 PM

Hi, 

I just upgraded my BV7 from a MK2 to a MK3, I cannot get the Sound settings to offer me any rear speaker options in the TV speaker roles.  I have a 7-1 set as the center speaker and I have 2 Beolab 4's at the front and 2 Beolab's 6000's at the back (I know it should the other way round but a long story!)

Does it make any difference which socket the speakers are inserted into? The 7-1 is connected at the top of the speaker inputs, then no matter which other sockets I use I never get the option for rear speakers  just Front Left, Front Right and None.

I have not connected anything to the sub socket.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Dan

Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
Posts 143
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Thu, Dec 17 2020 7:54 AM

It is an annoying software "feature" common to the BV7 and the Beosystem 3. You have to fool it by populating the surround speakers with a speaker type as well, even if they aren't connected. Then you can get the rear speakers to work. 

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder
danezro replied on Thu, Dec 17 2020 8:57 AM

Hi Gregg, 

That's really great, I just had a quick look (before work) and you are absolutely correct, adding in phantom speakers gives the rear and surround options.  Amazing, thank you very much for your help - it was driving me a little crazy!

Best wishes, 

Dan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I don’t quite understand this!

There is no sense in having rear speaker, when you have no speakers as surround speakers.

Why not use the speakers as surround speakers....which will give you a 5.x setup.

Adding rear speakers will result in a 7.x setup.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
Posts 143
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Fri, Dec 18 2020 4:29 AM
Glad it works! Drove me crazy too. Dealer didnt know this. I figured out by trial and error.
Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
Posts 143
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Fri, Dec 18 2020 4:31 AM
Well, in many home theaters, there is a good place for rear speakers but not surround speakers. When 5.1 came out, people had rear speakers only. I find that the surround channel is better for my rear speakers with my BV7.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

danezro:

Hi Gregg, 

That's really great, I just had a quick look (before work) and you are absolutely correct, adding in phantom speakers gives the rear and surround options.  Amazing, thank you very much for your help - it was driving me a little crazy!

Best wishes, 

Dan

Rear (also called back) or surround speakers is not about the placement, but about the sound signal send to these channels.

However, the sound signal for surround speakers works best, if these speakers are placed accordingly means at the side of the seating position.

In the same way the sound signal for the rears is best send to the speakers placed behind you.....supposedly you also have surround speakers.

If you ‘only’ have a 5.x channel setup and you play real 5.x channel sound, best set these additional speakers as surrounds.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder
danezro replied on Fri, Dec 18 2020 12:02 PM

Hi Gregg and MM thanks for your replies and suggestions, I will test out the options over the weekend and report backSmile

Dan

Accidently sent this more than once!

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder

Hi Gregg and MM thanks for your replies and suggestions, I will test out the options over the weekend and report backSmile

Dan

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder

Dan

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder

Dan

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder

Dan

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Founder
danezro replied on Mon, Dec 21 2020 3:31 PM

You guys are right the "surround" option works the best -  again, thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS