Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

DVD-1 as a CD music player

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Mitchell Wogoman
Not Ranked
Denver, CO
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Mitchell Wogoman Posted: Mon, Dec 28 2020 6:56 PM

I have access to a used DVD-1, and I’m interested in using it for a CD player to listen to music.  I will be connecting it to my BEOMASTER 5000.  I’m looking for advise as to whether this is a viable option.  Thanks in advance.

Stay safe and be well.

Mitch

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

It should work fine as long as you have a Beo4 remote to control it.

Mitchell Wogoman
Not Ranked
Denver, CO
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Thank you.  That’s what I was hoping would be the answer, great to get confirmation.

I appreciate your assistance.

Mitch

Mitchell Wogoman
Not Ranked
Denver, CO
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Thank you.  That’s what I was hoping would be the answer, great to get confirmation.

I appreciate your assistance.

Mitch

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 29 2020 3:52 AM

... but datalink is only provided by a SCART connection so you’ll only be able to control it using the remote if it’s connected (via SCART) to a B&O TV. 

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Dec 29 2020 7:11 AM

Would it be possible to make a suitable cable for the datalink connection? One side powerlink plug and on the other the scart plug?

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member
Stoobietoo replied on Tue, Dec 29 2020 10:40 AM

As Guy says you can only control the DVD1 remotely if connected to a B&O TV (The DVD1 has no IR eye built in) But you should be able control it manually using the buttons on the front.

It may be possible to make a cable to control it as TWG suggests, but there is lots on the web saying it is/isn't possible. There is a DATA socket on the back and the manual says it is to connect to B&O TVs without SCART so it may be possible.

Stoobie

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member
solderon29 replied on Tue, Dec 29 2020 10:43 AM

As Guy states,I don't think this will work without a tv?

I'm pretty sure that there is no ir receiver within the DVD-1.The control data is generated either in the tv or via link component.

I did manage to control a VHS82 vcr via the tape 2 port of the BM5000 years ago,to use the vcr as an audio recorder,but I think that we had to make an interface module to adapt the data pulses.

It did work very well,and the underrated hi-fi sound facilty of the vcr produced great recording quality of some of the Millenium concerts at 2000.

Another way would be to use an MCL receiver,again via an interface,connected directly to the Scart socket of the machine.

Not an off the shelf solution,but other's may have more idea's?

Nick

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

The DVD1 needs to be controlled by a BeoVision TV trough the SCART connection of the BV. There is no IR in the DVD1. 

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

My VX5500 had a jack for a remote eye for applications where a B&O tv was not used. Isn't the data jack on the DVD-1 the same thing?  Doesn't this just require the external IR receiver used in many of the products of the time?

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Dec 29 2020 3:25 PM

I would have thought that the date socket would only respond to commands that are DVD or V.Tape 2 type. Doesn't any device on the MCL network listen to commands that are only of it's own type. Also as DVD1 is Philips based there maybe a Philips IR eye in it or spaces on the board maybe? not sure, I did try and use one before as CD player but can't remember if it was any good. I still have mine in the attic so might take a look.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 29 2020 3:48 PM

I have had mine in pieces and didn't see an internal IR eye (Philips or otherwise)

I did sometimes use it as a CD player when connected to my mixed ML/MCL system and it worked well - I don't remember any sound difference compared to my BC9500.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 6:07 PM

I wonder what DAC they used and if it is any good? If it sounds the same as the 9500 then it should be quite decent as a CD player?

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 6:07 PM

I wonder what DAC they used and if it is any good? If it sounds the same as the 9500 then it should be quite decent as a CD player?

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Fri, Jan 1 2021 12:51 AM

If you are not afraid of soldering you could give it a try.

Solder a DIN plug with SCART (Audio + Datalink)

DVD1 should start when receiving the CD command from the Beomaster CD socket.

PIN config of the DIN socket and SCART is available here:

http://beotech.beoworld.org

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jan 8 2021 8:04 PM

Ravsted:

If you are not afraid of soldering you could give it a try.

Solder a DIN plug with SCART (Audio + Datalink)

DVD1 should start when receiving the CD command from the Beomaster CD socket.

PIN config of the DIN socket and SCART is available here:

http://beotech.beoworld.org

I had time on my hands today so I experimented with this Smile

I took apart a SCART lead and soldered the PIN 8 wire and Ground to pins 6 and 2 respectively of a 7-pin DIN.

I connected the 7 pin DIN to the AUX input of an MCL2AV operating in standalone mode (with power supply and IR transceiver), and set at L.OPT 1.

To start a CD playing I had to press AV then DVD on the Beo4 (or AV SHIFT SAT on the BL1000) - this makes perfect sense because in effect I am playing a Video system through an Audio master.  I then had full control of the DVD1 using the Stop, Play, Arrow buttons and numerals on the remote.  Turning the DVD1 off required a long press on the remote's power button (because I was turning off the whole AV 'system', not just audio.)

So I assume that this would also work with a datalink equipped Beomaster in lieu of the MCL2AV  However, I don't think it would work with the BM5000, not least because this has no ability to receive and pass on 'video' control data.  Should work fine on the BM5500, for example.

I also experimented quickly with the 3.5mm data socket:

- First tried plugging in a VX sensor IR remote, but no control was possible.

- Tried connecting the data socket to the AUX socket pins 6 and 2, but again no control possible.

Anything else I should try whilst I am surrounded with cables ... ? Geeked

It does once again prove what a useful box the MCL2AV is!!!  It's able to provide stand-alone remote control for all sorts of older equipment, not least turntables, and obviously provides a direct connection to active speakers or a passive.

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Fri, Jan 8 2021 10:10 PM

If you got the BM5000 and DVD1 and succesfully soldered and tested the cable then why not connect them and see what happens ?

It might turn on when connected to the CD socket.

Love the simplicity of Datalink. I use it to control Raspberry Pi's connected to BV7, BV6, BV5 and in the past even the Avant CRT.

No additional components are needed. Just wires directly from datalink source to the GPIO of the Raspberry Pi.... Sorry that was off topic.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jan 8 2021 10:15 PM

Ravsted:
If you got the BM5000 and DVD1 and succesfully soldered and tested the cable then why not connect them and see what happens ?

I'm not the original poster, and I don't have a BM5000!  I was just playing, investigating ...

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

I agree that the MCL2AV is a useful bit of kit.

The simplest function nowaday's is to use it to drive B&O active 'speakers as a stand alone system.

You could also of course drive classic passive 'speakers if an MCL2p or Passive amp was employed too.

The dedicated tape and cd inputs can be opened by remote keypad sequence,enabling connection of Bluetooth etc devices,but I wonder how the tv input can be used,without a B&O tv?

Three inputs would be plenty for most needs?You could even connect say a Beogram via suitable pre-amp!

Any thoughts on the tv input Guy,while you are experimenting?

Nick

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jan 9 2021 3:56 PM

solderon29:
Any thoughts on the tv input Guy,while you are experimenting?

The MCL2AV that I am currently using is a type 2020 with SW 1.3.  Hence the right hand socket is marked AUX rather than TV.  I am pretty sure that it will behave in the same manner.

You can select the AUX input by pressing AV followed by any of the video source buttons (TV, SAT, DTV, DVD, V.TAPE, V.MEM).  

Works well two-way with BL5000 too , even showing correct A.TAPE or CD source even when selecting with SHIFT RADIO 6 or 7.

I've got a newer MCL2AV (SW 2.3) with TV (rather than AUX) socket, so I will try that later and see if it behaves in the same way.  Will also experiment with my Beogram 6500.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Jan 10 2021 3:20 PM

I just did some further testing, now trying to focus back on the original question of using DVD1 as a music player.

I connected my modified SCART/DIN lead from the DVD1 to the TV/AUX socket of my BC9500.  I was then able to select the DVD by pressing AUX 4 on the BC9500's control panel, or by simply pressing 'DVD' on the remote (this with the Beocenter in A.OPT 2).  Full control of the DVD was then available through the remote or front panel.  There was no need to press the AV button, as I did with the MCL2AV.

Thus it is quite feasible to use DVD1 as a music player - this just needs a modified SCART lead that connects the audio output L, R & Ground (SCART pins 1, 3 & 4) to the audio input (DIN pins 5, 3 & 2  respectively) and also connect the Datalink (SCART pin 8 to DIN pin 6).  An alternative option would be to add a 7-pin DIN socket to the back of a DVD1 and hard-wire it internally.

This might be useful if someone is using a Beocenter with a broken CD.

Hopefully it will also work with the AUX socket of a Beomaster 5000, as originally asked.  The circuit diagram shows the BM5000's AUX socket uses pin 6 for datalink, as in my BC9500. 

Note that I did also try connecting to the AUX socket of my BC2300, but couldn't get this to work in the same way.  I thought this may be a datalink pin problem hence swapped my connection to pin 7 instead of 6, but to no avail.

Incidentally, whilst researching datalink I found this 28 Mar 2009 post on the old forum, from member Peter, very useful (referring to DIN plug/socket datalink connections):

Tape and CD use pin 7, Phono uses pin 6 except when the record player has a built in RIAA when it too uses pin 7. However TV/AUX uses pin 6 as well just to complicate things.

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

Thanks for sharing all that Guy.

Food for thought indeed!

Nick

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS