Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What to do with an old BL3500?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 465
Bronze Member
Silou Posted: Wed, Dec 30 2020 12:01 PM

Nobody wants it anymore!

It’s worth almost nothing!

Would it be a shame to throw away such a beautiful item! 

Upgrade with new electronics ?

Lamp ?

Other ideas ?

smuehli
Top 500 Contributor
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Posts 105
Bronze Member
smuehli replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 4:13 PM

Hi Silou,

connect it to an Apple-TV (or something similar) to use it in the Garage or Workshop or Kellerbar or Hobbyraum - don't know the english expression for that ;-) or as a soundbar for older TV or in the garden?

I thougt there were special cables that enables this "world" for Beolink speakers

KolfMAKER
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 176
Silver Member
KolfMAKER replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 4:34 PM

If you are around The Netherlands ...
I could use it (spare parts)

Smile 

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 5:07 PM

Parallel to the garage idea, you use it in the bathroom.  Somewhere on the forum there is a photo of a BL3500 mounted above the door frame.  It doesn't have to sound wonderful in a small (for some of us:-) echoey room, so its age, quality, and placement are not critical.  Such wall area is rarely used, and very few have architraves worthy of maintaining unblemished header space.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Dec 31 2020 9:08 AM

I'd like to find a simple answer to that question too.

Unfortunatly, the BL3500 even if it can be found cheap sometimes, is still sold around 250-500€ around here.
Because people think it's a simple B&O soundbar.

I've always wonder why there isnt a possibility to short something and feed some pin on the PCB to trick and start the thing.
But my electronic skills being what they are, I just think that if nobody did it it should not be that simple.

Anyway, I'd like that a lot, mini BS35 ! 

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Thu, Dec 31 2020 6:20 PM

You can connect a DIN/Minijack cable and connect it to a phone/cast device/bluetooth receiver.

You can make the cable yourselves or get a good quality cable from Sounds Heavenly.

There are two versions, depending on whether you got a MCL or POWERLINK version.

Steve will help you getting the correct cable.

Menu 0 4 Go will activate the socket.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Ravsted:

You can connect a DIN/Minijack cable and connect it to a phone/cast device/bluetooth receiver.

This is not a very convenient solution, at least for me. The beo4 key sequence each time you start the thing and the fact you cant use it in a room where there is another B&O unit make it difficult to use daily. Thats why i would like a solution like "short pin 12 and pin 56 from IC2 and just feed the beast with volume controlled source and it works!". But that don't seems to be possible so far.

Maybe part od the solution is in the crossover frequencies thread which opened some days ago Wink

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 465
Bronze Member
Silou replied on Fri, Jan 1 2021 5:31 PM

I fully agree with Matador43. It's not a convenient solution.

The sound quality of this Loudspeaker is fully outdated!  

Buy any other Bluetooth devices and you will get a more confortable solution with a better sound !

My question is more wide; redesign the electronics with a DSP or  using it for something else as a lamp or ... ???

smuehli
Top 500 Contributor
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Posts 105
Bronze Member
smuehli replied on Mon, Jan 4 2021 2:21 PM

If the soundquality is outdated - than I would assume it is defect! Worn out speakers maybe . . .

If you want to destroy it as a speaker -> empty the housing, put a raspberry pi in it, change the speakers with a LED-Light and a camera and put it above a door as doorcam ;-)

Or put an IR-Detector in it an use it as automatic light in the garage etc.

Or take a small room-fountain and build it around - 2 or 4 marble balls in it and a cheesy colour-changing LED Whistle

But I think there are better solutions ready out there to use - sell it or give it to friends or or or

Bw789
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Bronze Member
Bw789 replied on Mon, Jan 4 2021 9:11 PM
I’d suggest looking into putting a raspberry Pi in there and a Hifi Berry to replace the B&O class D amplifier :)
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS