Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beloab 5 DIY Chassis repair - feasible?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

r5gordini
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
r5gordini Posted: Wed, Jan 20 2021 9:42 AM

Hi All,

I have some 2008 Beolab 5. One of them started off being distorted. Now it crackles on and off and when it's working it sounds horrible! 

I spoke with a repair dealer, who says I need a refurbished chassis.

Now I'm wondering if I could do a DIY repair. I am familiar with electronics repair, having done quite a bit of it in the past, but I'm concerned if it's feasible or practical to do.

My initial suspicion is that it's as simple as a dry joint, probably due to lead-free solder cracking up. The speaker is fine when stone cold, but gets worse as it warms up, and the symptoms have been getting worse over time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 9:51 AM

From experience I can tell  you that your suspicion is not correct. If you start looking for these, you will waste your time. Causes are located inside the semiconductors on the UPC/sound board and/or ICE power related.

r5gordini
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
r5gordini replied on Wed, Jan 20 2021 10:03 AM

Ah ok! Thank you so much!

Think I'll get a refurbished chassis fitted properly then. I can't afford to do it at the moment, sadly, so they'll be out of action until I've finished a few other projects.

The other one will probably fail at some point too :-(

I still love them - the best speakers I've ever heard.

Andrew

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS