Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Adding a pair of 6000s and single 3500 to home theatre setup

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

broomy
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
broomy Posted: Sun, Feb 21 2021 3:40 PM

I currently have:

1. Home Theatre PC, with 6 audio ports, shown here
  2. Pair of Mission 732 speakers
  3. Teac AG-790 amplifier, which supports only two speakers at a time

But I have just inherited:

1. Pair of BeoLab 6000 speakers
  2. BeoLab 3500 speaker
  3. BeoSystem 2300
  4. Beo4 remote control

I would quite like these to add to my current setup, either to reach 4.0 (with the 6000s as rear speakers), or to reach 5.0 (with the 3500 in the front channel). I probably won't have much use for the 2300.

The easiest route to getting up and running that I can see is to purchase an Aux to RCA splitter, plugging the aux end into the PC rear channel port, and each end of the RCA into each of the 6000 speakers. And for the front channel an Aux to MCL adapter, do these exist?

It is possible that the 2300 could be used as an intermediary between my PC and new speakers, would this help me out at all?

I have also seen that some people don't think using the 3500 as a front speaker will be worthwhile.

broomy
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
broomy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 7:04 PM

I just tried to connect an Aux cable and RCA splitter to the 6000 speakers and was immediately met by very loud static/white noise, so I pulled the cable out straight away as I was afraid it was damaging to the speakers.

After pulling the cable out I found something quite odd, when I touch the back metal part of the speaker with one hand, and touch the RCA connector with my other hand, I also get a static noise come through the speaker. Also when leaving the speakers on "Line in" mode, after about a minute with no connection they give off a higher pitched static noise! What is going on?

I know that the speakers work when connected to the 2300 via powerlink cables.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi broomy,

Welcome to Beoworld!  The Beolab 3500 is not suited as a centre channel speaker, so the only way to use it here is to link it to the 2300 system as a link room speaker (ideally in a different room, as this is its intended purpose).

This gives you 2 x Beolab 6000 speakers, which should link to the Powerlink outputs of the 2300 for best results.

This cable will allow you to connect the Front stereo output of the PC to the Aux socket on the back of your B&O system:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67-298-minijack-to-aux-in-ipod-to-beosound-beomaster-beocenter-using-aux-din-socket.html#/2-length-1m

Please set the PC volume to maximum when connecting to the B&O system – this is normal when using a minijack output with a home audio system due to the low output levels produced by the PC.

To listen to the PC, simply press "A.Aux" on the B&O keypad, or select this on the B&O remote control by pressing the "LIST" button until the display shows "A.AUX", then pressing "GO".

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

broomy
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
broomy replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 10:58 AM

I went with what Steve suggested, and for anyone looking to do something similar, the glass doors of the 2300 pull off very easily. I did this and then threw it into a drawer nearby to the speakers, since I won't be needing to use interact with it at all after the initial setup!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS