Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

FYI: Deezer HiFi 3 months free

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly Posted: Sun, Mar 21 2021 1:41 AM

Deezer advertised at me on Instagram a free 3mo subscription to HiFi, in case anyone else is interested in testing it out. I assume you can get the same deal, too.

(I’ve never used it before but it seems nice so far. If I had BL50 or BL90, I’d want something that offered better than Resbook CD quality but for now, this is just fine.

And I must say, the integration directly into the B&O app is really convenient. It makes me wish TIDAL and Qobuz were natively supported, too.)

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 8:03 PM

:Less than 10% of the Tidal / Qobuz catalogue is hi res / better than CD quality, so even as a 50s owner I dont stress about that too much.

What is a shame is that for 50s / 90s owners, there should be a better streaming experience than the Core / B&O app - the speakers themselves are amazing, the Core / app are poor, all the more so if you want to use Qobuz or Tidal.

t

Curly:

Deezer advertised at me on Instagram a free 3mo subscription to HiFi, in case anyone else is interested in testing it out. I assume you can get the same deal, too.

(I’ve never used it before but it seems nice so far. If I had BL50 or BL90, I’d want something that offered better than Resbook CD quality but for now, this is just fine.

And I must say, the integration directly into the B&O app is really convenient. It makes me wish TIDAL and Qobuz were natively supported, too.)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Deezer is probably busy getting new subscribers......before Spotify goes HiFi.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Sun, Mar 21 2021 11:20 PM

Good point, Sandeep. Both points you make are good. I hope complaining here frequently enough will get us native integration of TIDAL and Qobuz.

On less than 10% of those catalogs being hi-rez, the libraries are so large that 10% may indeed incorporate music you care about, however. For me, a good portion of music I am interested is offered in MQA. At least 50%, I’d guess. Maybe more.

Anyway, the case for native integration seems clear. I have no idea why B&O cannot or will not make it happen. 

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 3:19 AM
Complaining on here does nothing if you don’t also send the request to B&O, because we’re all fairly anonymous on here so they won’t know what to make of it. Just FYISmile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 6:51 AM
They won’t integrate either, the license fees required are (from their thinking) not worth it given the relatively small subscriber base both services have

Remember, B&O were essentially there in abandoning NL and built in sources, from the Balance onwards. Yes they’ve promised to reinstate NL, at some point

But their thinking was that providing AP and CC made their products service agnostic, so why bother with NL and integrating a range of services.

In other words they were moving in the opposite direction, so don’t expect more to be integrated
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I had Deezer premium before and let it lapse as I was at a different place for the whole year than where my B&O stuff is.  

I saw the three month free offer too, i tried to re subscribe for three months, and it said as i was a previous subscriber , i can only get one month. 

So perhaps use a different e-mail address if you want. 

I recently tried a Tidal 3 month free subscription that I got through the Mercedes Me app, and i only use it once as i prefer the tap function on the B&O 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Curly:

Good point, Sandeep. Both points you make are good. I hope complaining here frequently enough will get us native integration of TIDAL and Qobuz.

On less than 10% of those catalogs being hi-rez, the libraries are so large that 10% may indeed incorporate music you care about, however. For me, a good portion of music I am interested is offered in MQA. At least 50%, I’d guess. Maybe more.

Anyway, the case for native integration seems clear. I have no idea why B&O cannot or will not make it happen. 

There can be no integration - similar to how it works with Deezer - since neither Tidal, nor Qobuz generally allows for the needed redirection of the stream in the NL network (making Touch to Join and Expand possible).

This works - depending on your setup - halfway well with Spotify Connect, but only halfway.

Honestly - sorry to say that - I sincerely hope that B&O will stay away from the MQA hoax (the latest attemp from the record companies to squeeze more money out of the consumers - there is enough research out there to verify this statement).

As for the estimate from Sandyb, that 10% of the files on Tidal, Qobuz etc can be concidered as ‘highres’,

I doubt that - I’d rather estimate 1%....do remember that no old analog production becomes ‘highres’ just by putting ifiles in a ‘highres’ container and calling it ‘highres’. 

It is the provenance of the files that matters - there are very few recordings that are ‘highres’ from the very beginning of the production chain to the delievered result.

MM

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 10:46 AM

Sandyb:
there should be a better streaming experience than the Core / B&O app - the speakers themselves are amazing, the Core / app are poor, all the more so if you want to use Qobuz or Tidal.
Why is the Core poor for streaming? 

I (can) stream music to my Shape from

1. my UPnP/DLNA music server (Minimserver)

2. TuneIn

3. Chromecast

4. Airplay

5. Qobuz / Tidal through Audirvana (UPnP/DLNA streaming)

The biggest mistake would be to support all these Streaming Services! Something changes at a Streaming Service and you have to adjust your software (with the problems/dangers of incompatibillities). Much better is supporting standardized streaming protocols.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 12:52 PM
Millemissen:

There can be no integration - similar to how it works with Deezer - since neither Tidal, nor Qobuz generally allows for the needed redirection of the stream in the NL network (making Touch to Join and Expand possible).

This works - depending on your setup - halfway well with Spotify Connect, but only halfway.

Honestly - sorry to say that - I sincerely hope that B&O will stay away from the MQA hoax (the latest attemp from the record companies to squeeze more money out of the consumers - there is enough research out there to verify this statement).

As for the estimate from Sandyb, that 10% of the files on Tidal, Qobuz etc can be concidered as ‘highres’,

I doubt that - I’d rather estimate 1%....do remember that no old analog production becomes ‘highres’ just by putting ifiles in a ‘highres’ container and calling it ‘highres’.

It is the provenance of the files that matters - there are very few recordings that are ‘highres’ from the very beginning of the production chain to the delievered result.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

I said less than 10% - just quoting from a recent post from John Darko on one of his videos.

As for not allowing forwarding of Tidal streams, Roon are allowed to do so, and I think Naim (and possibly others) are too, through their local hone streaming protocols.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 1:54 PM

Sandyb:
I said less than 10% - just quoting from a recent post from John Darko on one of his videos.

As for not allowing forwarding of Tidal streams, Roon are allowed to do so, and I think Naim (and possibly others) are too, through their local hone streaming protocols.

Qobuz claims on its website 424.000 Hires Albums and a total 70 million tracks in CD quality (can't find the date of this claim)

Millemissen:
There can be no integration - similar to how it works with Deezer
True for the completely operative Moment. For the other NL devices a doubtful claim

Millemissen:
since neither Tidal, nor Qobuz generally allows for the needed redirection of the stream in the NL network (making Touch to Join and Expand possible).
See my picture below. Qobuz is playing in the Audirvana app; as can be seen in the Beoliving app and can be distributed to other NL devices (same in B&o app).

this same type of principle Roon is working with Tidal/Qobuz

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Carolpa:

Millemissen:
There can be no integration - similar to how it works with Deezer
True for the completely operative Moment. For the other NL devices a doubtful claim

Millemissen:
since neither Tidal, nor Qobuz generally allows for the needed redirection of the stream in the NL network (making Touch to Join and Expand possible).
See my picture below. Qobuz is playing in the Audirvana app; as can be seen in the Beoliving app and can be distributed to other NL devices (same in B&o app).

this same type of principle Roon is working with Tidal/Qobuz

Sure, but you have to engage an external app/Audirvana for this.

Couldn’t you do exactly the same using Airplay from the Tidal/Qobuz apps and use the B&O app to forward this stream (with Beolink enabled)....just like I do right now when playing from the native Radio Paradise app to multiple NL devices (right now 3 rooms)!

MM

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 2:38 PM

Millemissen:
Couldn’t you do exactly the same using Airplay from the Tidal/Qobuz apps and use the B&O app to forward this stream
No, because Airplay and Chromecast do not support this (not that it would be technical impossible). But another steaming protocol is used! Depending on the protocol this is possible; and Audirvana uses this protocol.

Millemissen:

I know that Qobuz is working on the UPnP/DLNA streaming protocol. That said the Audirvana app could become obsolete

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Carolpa:

Millemissen:
Couldn’t you do exactly the same using Airplay from the Tidal/Qobuz apps and use the B&O app to forward this stream
No, because Airplay and Chromecast do not support this (not that it would be technical impossible). But another steaming protocol is used! Depending on the protocol this is possible; and Audirvana uses this protocol.

Millemissen:

I know that Qobuz is working on the UPnP/DLNA streaming protocol. That said the Audirvana app could become obsolete

Are you saying, that you can not AirPlay or Chromecast from the native Tidal/Qobuz app?

I don’t have/use these - however, I can hardly believe that is true.

Anyway, I can play any stream, that can be airplayed (be it from a native app or e.g. from the 8Player or the Squeezepad app/from DLNA server) on my entire NL network.....using Join/Expand.

Not sure what the difference is (I know you use a UPnP/DLNA streaming protocol), because the result is the same = the same music playing on all NL devices (in sync and pause/skip controlable from the beoremote).

Either way, what the op/Curly asked for was native support in the B&O app for Tidal/Qobuz....which is something else.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Mar 22 2021 4:15 PM
Millemissen:

Are you saying, that you can not AirPlay or Chromecast from the native Tidal/Qobuz app?

I don’t have/use these - however, I can hardly believe that is true.

Anyway, I can play any stream, that can be airplayed (be it from a native app or e.g. from the 8Player or the Squeezepad app/from DLNA server) on my entire NL network.....using Join/Expand.

Not sure what the difference is (I know you use a UPnP/DLNA streaming protocol), because the result is the same = the same music playing on all NL devices (in sync and pause/skip controlable from the beoremote).

Either way, what the op/Curly asked for was native support in the B&O app for Tidal/Qobuz....which is something else.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

You can Airplay Qobuz and then share via NL

Not something I do, but just tried it and it works fine

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS