Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 9000 scraping, and the bend rod issue.

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx Posted: Mon, May 10 2021 7:40 AM

Hi All.

I have now had so many 9000's through my hands, that I would like to chime in regarding the "bend rod" issue. The issue is that the whole laser assembly, should be pulled down towards the bottom of the 9000, so that it is free from the cd's when sliding under them.

Under that carriage, is a long lever, that is responsible for this, and the theory is that this alu lever will be bend slightly upwards from the pull of the 2 springs.

In my first unit, I bought a new lever, and it fixed it, although laying on a table, there was no visible/measurable difference between them.

In the next unit that had this issue, I looked more closely at the rod, and there was noticeably wear on the rubber bushing that sits between the rod and the metal part that pulls down the mechanism. This plastic sleeve is approx. 1.2mm thick, and there was a very visible hole/groove in the rubber.

I turned the rubber 90 degrees, so new fresh rubber was where the worn rubber used to be, and presto, no more scraping.

I have now done this on quite a few units, and this fix has worked every time.

I don't think the rods get bent at all, I think that the work rubber sleeve is causing enough slack, for the 1mm to actually make a difference.

This is only my experience, but I would at lease say it is worth a try before exchanging the rod. It is possible to turn this rubber part without removing the bottom plate, it is visible with the cd mechanism out.

/Jacob

Les Bart
Not Ranked
Norway
Posts 9
Silver Member
Les Bart replied on Mon, May 10 2021 11:24 AM

Hi Jacob and all Beoworld folks,

This is my first post on this great forum, so hello to everyone.

And here are my 2 cents to Jacob's explanation.
I've experienced exactly the same behavior with my BS9000: the sledge was hitting the CDs slightly, just making a tick sound while moving.
I then changed a tiny damper - made out of silicone tube, I guess. And result: no more CD scraping.

So here are some pictures of my old damper tube:

/Les

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, May 10 2021 12:21 PM

Exactly:)

Les Bart
Not Ranked
Norway
Posts 9
Silver Member
Les Bart replied on Mon, May 10 2021 12:39 PM

On second thought: how come that a dent, which is no more that 0.2 - 0.3 mm deep, is making such a big difference?

Really bad design Angry

/Les

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, May 10 2021 12:49 PM

Can this replaced by cutting a piece of the exact lengtht out of a e.g silicone hose used in the medical area?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

Les Bart:

Really bad design Angry

How long does carparts lasts?  These machines are at least 10-15 years old.

The rockerarms do bend. At some point I started to collect the old ones. I just counted 50 pieces.

As you can see it is bend.
They are no longer available anymore. So, now it will be a tickering solution where you try to bend them back.and hope it will last as long as they did from the moment they were sold/manufactured.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, May 10 2021 4:44 PM

Beobuddy:

Les Bart:

Really bad design Angry

How long does carparts lasts?  These machines are at least 10-15 years old.

The rockerarms do bend. At some point I started to collect the old ones. I just counted 50 pieces.

As you can see it is bend.
They are no longer available anymore. So, now it will be a tickering solution where you try to bend them back.and hope it will last as long as they did from the moment they were sold/manufactured.

Damn, I have not seen that before, but now the proof is here, I might have just gotten lucky, and in the future I will look out for this :)

It is incredible that they bend like that, off course, they are under stress all the time the unit is not playing, but I would not have thought the 4 springs had so much force.

Oh well, I guess bending them back would just weaken it more, and they bend back quickly again?

/Jacob

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Mon, May 10 2021 6:25 PM

I hope to not hijack the topic.

The noise I'm confronted to is a quite loud click or clack when a disc is clamped again.
I suppose it's not related to that arm but somebody mentioned that loud noise somewhere in a topic and he didnt report back again after being advice to change the arm or the rubber sleeve. SO maybe its related.

Maybe an advice before I spray the whole thing with WD40? (just joking, I will use silicone grease!) (kidding again: I know, no spare on the BS9000!)

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Mon, May 10 2021 6:33 PM

Clicks or similar sounds can be caused by the cd holders. Dirt gets in the mechanisms which are under pressure by springs. 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Mon, May 10 2021 6:54 PM

Beobuddy:

Clicks or similar sounds can be caused by the cd holders. Dirt gets in the mechanisms which are under pressure by springs. 

Thank you. How would you recommend to clean them? And will they need some lube of any kind?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

This mk1 has a damaged fingerprotection eye and noticed that all the holders are clicking because of dirt.
So apart from the replacng the plastic "eye", taking some time to clean cd-holders and their  small brackets.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Tue, May 11 2021 1:47 PM

Thank you Beobuddy.

When will it be the last time I'll need to tear that thing appart? Sad

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, May 11 2021 2:17 PM

BS 9000 MK3:

There wasn't any sign of damage or deformation on the (aluminium?) lever of the cariage mechanism.

Problems:

- Sledge sounding like a toy railway when moving across the discs.
- Disc scraping as soon as the CD starts spinning

Problem was solved after disassembling the unit and changing the the rubber bushing of the lever and and adjusting the mechanism height/position eh voilà:
No more scratching while moving from CD to CD and the railway sound is gone.

Subjectively the lever doesn't feel like aluminium... feels too sturdy and I guess that B&O engineers had considered wear and tear of those parts during development.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS