Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay A9 - Technical questions / comments

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 4 Followers

Gavin
Not Ranked
Sydney
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Gavin Posted: Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:04 AM

Hi,

I purchased an A9 before Christmas and have some experiences to share in the hope that some questions will be answered.

I had to switch my network settings from WPA2 - TKIP, to AES to get the A9 to connect to WiFi

The ping pong noise it makes when registering on a network occurs randomly about twice a day. Sometimes in the early hours, almost like it is dropping off the network, then re-registering. B&O advised me to buy a new Cisco router as they can only confirm compatibility with the routers they test with.

When playing via Airplay the sounds drops out randonmly. I've switched to a LAN cable to see if it was the WiFi signal and it still does it.

If you look closely there is an optical input next to the LAN port. This isn't advertised so I expect a firmware upgrade in the future may activate this allowing an optical input.

Some DLNA clients work well and adjust the volume, some don't control the volume at all. Its worth checking before you buy one.

Stereo separation isn't great but having a single unit allows for some great placement options.

Replacing the cover is very simply but you need to smooth the edges to remove any ripples in the fabric

Overall I love the A9. If anyone can shed any experiences that would resolve the above points I'd be greatful.

No, the B&O shop were pleasant but not very helpful

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 11:03 AM

Thanks Gavin - good feedback; and BTW welcome to B&O and Beoworld

I am not sure which one of the two is more addictive Big Smile

You said

Some DLNA clients work well and adjust the volume, some don't control the volume at all. Its worth checking before you buy one.

Do tell us which one you settle on 

BeoNut since '75

Abhi81
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
Abhi81 replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 4:51 PM

Hello Gavin

First of all how old or new is your router.  As I had a problem when connecting a A9 to a old router and the unit kept cutting out and sometimes lost connection.  I done a firmware update on the Router and all the problems were solved.

As for DLNA streaming software UPNP Bubble is a good one.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Gavin,

I would definitely consider buying a new router, if upgrading doesn't help!.

Coax-input? There is a hole for resetting... I haven't heard of any coax..

Could you make a picture of it, perhaps?

BubbleUPnP is Android by the way - for iOS I would recommend PlugPlayer

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

MartinW
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 389
Bronze Member
MartinW replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:57 PM
Hi Gavin, when you tested the A9 using a network cable to prevent wireless dropouts, what you may be experiencing is that your iPhone which is sending the Airplay wirelessly to the router is dropping out.

I have an iPhone running iOS6.1 and it isn't great at Airplay - it was much better when it had iOS 5.

I have a iPad running iOS 5 and the Airplay is perfect, same house, same router, same devices!
Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 9:59 AM

I also have the A9 and have experienced the same problems as you describe.

I too have noticed that the A9 seems to reconnect to the network at random. Havn't noticed any real pattern and it hasnt effected my use of the A9. The only reason i noticed it, is because if the ping pong sound when it starting up. To me it seems like its restarting, not reconnecting. This sounds like a bug of some sorts.

Regarding the sound drop outs, I've tracked the problem down to my iPhone 5. My hand is enough to block the signal. My router is about 2-3 years old and is up-to-date in firmware.

But enough with the negative, my postive feedback is similar to yours. Love the sound, though the stereo separation could be better. A trade off when buying a single unit. Some reviews are complaining over ripples in the fabric. I have had none of those problems what so ever. My guess is that they suck at mounting the fabric, which by the way isn't hard at all.

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

MartinW
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 389
Bronze Member
MartinW replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:24 PM
I have seen things drop off our store network and come back a lot - wifi is very tricky and Airplay seems to be at the forefront of things that find tricky networks difficult.

To solve it, assuming hardwiring is not an option, you need to find a wifi channel that is not congested, turn off any wireless networks not in use etc.

However I discovered a very clear fact with my BeoLit 12 that lead me to believe there may be iOS involved here too - I have an iPhone 4s running iOS6 and the drop outs between that and my BeoLit are very frustrating. I also have an iPad 1 running iOS5, same router, same house, same BeoLit - it has never ever dropped out when streaming to the BeoLit 12.

?
BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:31 PM

Bluetooth technologie is better like Airplay ! Why Beo don't use and integrate it ?!

Electrified
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 212
Bronze Member

BeoBoy68:

Bluetooth technologie is better like Airplay ! Why Beo don't use and integrate it ?!

You're kidding right?

In case you're not kidding:

Bluetooth is poor -as in "really, really bad" - for both range and bandwidth (and thus poor audio quality), not to mention security.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Still waiting for 'AirPlay over Bluetooth 4.0' Whistle

Greetings Millemissen

Electrified
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 212
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Still waiting for 'AirPlay over Bluetooth 4.0' Whistle

Greetings Millemissen

Yeah, at a maximum of 200kbps in the best case scenario - So much better than WiFi, lol!

Gavin
Not Ranked
Sydney
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Gavin replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 8:45 AM

Thank you all for your responses.

I do have the option of using a network cable but I was hoping to keep the wires that cross the floor to a minimum.

My router is the best Billion Router I could purchase. It has many features and I don't want to replace it unless I have to. It is about 2 years old with the latest firmware.

I understand the suggestion that it is my iphone or ipad, so I've ordered a new ipad. My logic is that the old device could be struggling with sending data over WiFi to both the NAS and A9 simultaneously. I also own a Samsung Galaxy S3 so I'll see if it has the same symptoms.

Did anyone else find the optical port or is it just mine? The B&O tech didn't even know it was there!

Gavin

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

H Gavin,

??? Optical port in a B&O-product???

That would be the first time ever.

Greetings Millemissen

Gavin
Not Ranked
Sydney
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Gavin replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 9:13 AM

Really?

I thought some of the high end speakers (Beloab 5) had optical in

Regards

Electrified
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 212
Bronze Member

Gavin:

Really?

I thought some of the high end speakers (Beloab 5) had optical in

Regards

No, the digital in is coax in the BL5s.

Gavin
Not Ranked
Sydney
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Gavin replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 9:35 AM

Hi,

Yes, Bubble is one of the better DLNA Apps. I think the Samsung default Music player can stream to the A9 but cannot control the volume for some reason. Or maybe I'm just not using it correctly.

I also find it takes several seconds (5?) for the streaming to start. Like it is buffering for too long? My SONOS system is about 1 second and works flawlessly via the RCA inputs.

gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:29 AM
hello, same here, seems to restart randomly. is anyone experiencing interference noice ? i have cracking noises like static electricity comming out of the a9 speaker on a regular basis. am using apple airport extreme latest models. the interference is Always there whether using Airplay or via cable (rca) connections. thanks gord
Gavin
Not Ranked
Sydney
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Gavin replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:57 AM

Hi, I have the static electricity noise too. I switched to ethernet cable to eliminate wifi but I now suspect that the device I was playing the music from (ipad or iphone) was the problem as it was still on wifi and the source of the music was either a NAS or Spotify which is ultimately data from the internet.

What WiFi network are you using - 802.11g, n or both?

Next I will try a dedicated wireless network for music streaming (n only) and leave the 'g' network for other equipment.

I will update over the next few weeks.

Gavin

gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 10:13 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. The airport extreme is setup to use all types. 2,4 and 5GHz, g and n... I have a second one further in the house the extend the range of the network. 
am playing from all different sources, iphone, ipad, tv connected via rca. Music an movies are coming from synology NAS. 
The cracking static noice in the speaker is there too much. It's at a point where, to me, it's disturbing. 
From what I read it seems you believe it's a wifi problem. Could anything else be interfering ? Other wireless devices such as wireless phone? 
To give a example : I have beolab's 5000 (very old) in my living room. When I fire up the fireplace with it's remote I get the same static cracking noice out of the beolab's 5000. It stops straight away when the fire comes on...each and every time like that. 
Best regards
Gord

gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 10:29 AM

in addition I would like to add that I tried following without success : 

watching movie on apple tv using airplay to stream sound to A9 or letting sound pass trough the TV and using cable connected to rca does not eliminate the interference. so it's not a case of using airplay and it's there and using cable and it's gone. The movie itself however is being streamed wireless from NAS to appleTV.

Gord

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:16 PM

I must say it's quite disappointing that the A9 lacks support of n-networks Sad

With the insane requirement to network stability when using Airplay, it's almost impossible to understand why they only implemented b/g.Considering the price point, it's a no-brainer.

The 2.4 Ghz spectrum is really crowded Angry

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:21 PM

MikaelHansen

What problems has lack of n-network connection caused you?  

Gavin
Not Ranked
Sydney
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Gavin replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:16 AM

I've just moved my A9 onto a 2nd WiFi network and it works great. Before the A9 my router was only using Wireless-n but when I introduced the A9 it switched to both 'n' and 'g'. This was the cause of some of my problems which also slowed all my other devices.

How did B&O release a product using older technology?

I'd like to send the A9 back and wait for the upgraded A9 with Wireless n and optical input. I suspect they rushed this to market thereby upsetting many customers and destroying the reputation of such an iconic brand. Pity because the A9 had such potential.

gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:47 AM

I connected the a9 via cat6 a week ago hoping this would solve the disturbing cracking noises  (like static discharge) maybe in the wireless signal but no result. it's less but still there. Even when receiving sound from TV via RCA.

i think only thing left  is to send it back unless anyone found a solution for this

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:58 AM

To be fair, the antenna in the A9 is pretty good. Most of the problems in playback is caused by my iPhone 5. But my A9 is also placed close to my router.

BUT the A9 is the only b/g only unit I have on my network, which forces me to have a b/g network active. This means a poorer range and higher risk of interference from neighboring networks.

For an instance, inSSID gives my b/g network a "link rating" of 30 at best. This rating depends on signal strength and other networks on the same channel. My n network on the other hand have a perfect 100 score. 

The problem with b/g is not the bandwidth, it's the overpopulated channels which decreases the range and stability of the network.   

I love my A9 and after some intense network setup the connection is stable, but not withouts faults. If I had the opportunity to use a n network does stability issues would be non-existing.

The A9 is still a killer product, but the price justifies top notch technology!

gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 9:22 AM

but all modern wireless routers can operate on b, g  or n simultaniously and having a g-device present should not slow down n-devices.

my wirless router is just a few meters away from the a9 before switching to cat6 and even then when checking th wireless signal in the beoplay app it said marginal..

so why if you play via iphone 5 trough airport extreme wireless (all N devices) to the a9 connected to this airport extreme via cat 6 is the sting still unstable ?? do i need to start watching star trek to look for solutions  

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 10:45 AM

Plugging in a product that is marketed as WIRELESS is just wrong.

I have no problem operating b/g and n devices simultaneously on my network. My router can handle that without any problem. But it doesn't change the fact that the A9 could be positioned much more freely if connected as a n-device. Because of the massive interference on 2.4 Ghz bandwidths the A9 needs to be relatively close to the router to have a strong enough signal.

You cannot change the fact that n-network has a much higher capacity and range. I would expect such a protocol to be included in a premium product.

Don't get me wrong, the A9 does what it says on the package. My problem is that it would do it a lot better if it had the newest technology.

Playdrv4me
Top 200 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member
Playdrv4me replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 11:27 AM

Airplay is a technology with lofty goals and potentially spectacular results that just doesn't seem fully baked and kind of sucks in the end. I agree that Bluetooth's bandwidth is not sufficient for top quality audio but I sure experience less dropouts and easier connections when using it on some of my equipment. In fact, I have a product in my BATHROOM (yes I like to have music in there) called a SoundFreaq which is a cheap Bluetooth compatible iPod dock and radio with surprisingly good sound quality. I can have music playing in my bathroom, take my iPhone out of the bathroom with me when I'm done in there, and walk all the way into the living room without any dropout from the Bluetooth signal. As bluetooth is only advertised to work best at 30 or 40 feet I'm not sure how this is possible through a wall and easily 75 or 80 feet away but it does work.

I can also confirm that I have an AT&T branded 2Wire wireless router and in order to solve a lot of my Airplay problems (to my AppleTV, I don't own an A9 or any BeoPlay product) I had to force the router to use N only. When it was allowed to run in compatibility mode for older wireless devices the performance of Airplay was significantly degraded. And even now, I find that in the late afternoon I get Airplay dropouts. I'm going to try connecting the Apple TV via ethernet straight to the router when I get a chance in order to eliminate at least one point of failure, but these things should really work as advertised and I find it interesting all of the people who say that Airplay worked much better in iOS5.

That said, Airplay from my Retina MacBook Pro won't behave any better when the iPhone is cutting out. So it's probably just a general congestion issue on my end.

I can not WAIT for the Wireless Speaker and Audio (WiSA) technology to be implemented by B&O and others.

gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:36 PM
Well i finally solved the interference on the a9 wich was considerable. Connected via cat6 cable. Moved all other wireless devices to 5ghz seperate ssid, reset the a9 to delete the wireless network it was connected to in my home initially. No more cracking noises sounding like static discharge. Its simply unbelievable that they build in this old piece of crap 2,4 ghz wireless g band which is prone to interference. Emailed customer support twice about this with no reply...they know what they did ;-)
Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 10:50 PM

Just learned that the lack of wireless n support is caused by the Airplay chip, as this does not support it. The chip is supplied by an Apple manufacturer. 

gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 11:35 AM
7 weeks ago i returned the A9 to the dealer. The dropouts, the static cracking noises and a few times a week a very loud 'bang', like a very loud static discharge after which the unit drops out all together for about 10 seconds.

I spend about 400 euro on latest wireless routers from apple and belkin. Used cat 6 for wired connection. Used inssider to move channels arround. Nothing made the unit work interferance free and to a acceptable level at this pricerange.

I was informed this week by the dealer that i will receive a new unit. I have asked what the problem was but no explanation was given. Does anyone know whether b&o has upgraded this product lately? I am affraid that if its still the same airplay module my problems will not be solved with a new unit.

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 7:54 PM

Mine still resets it self now and then. Haven't really timed it, but its about once a day. The "bang" noise have stopped though. After changing to an Apple Airport Extreme any dropout in sound is extremely rare, and my setup seems to be very stable.

The Airplay chip and the network chip are two different parts as far as I know. Don't know if B&O have made any changes to the network part. The Airplay chip is unchanged as this is dictated by Apple.

There is a new firmware update in the pipes. It seems to be a bit delayed, but you should see it before Christmas. It primarily concerns a new Spotify feature, but B&O might make some adjustments based on customer feedback.

But it's still disappointing that Apple doesn't update its Airplay chip and protocol to support n (and now AC) networks. It would really help with Airplay in areas with very congested wifi networks. If it wasn't for my A9, then all my devices would use n-network and I could shutdown my g-network.

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 9:33 PM
Airplay chips supports n networks. Just look at their own airport express. I believe it is up to B&O to select which network speed
gord
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
gord replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 10:10 PM
I tried new belkin ac, would not recommend. Inferior to the speed and range of the new apple extreme ac. According to inssider anyway.

I should have new unit this week. Am curious whether the symptons are still there or gone.

My dealer tells me b&o rarely hands out new units so i guess something was seriously wrong. Shame that no explanation is given as it would be interesting to know.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 10:33 PM
rob08:

Airplay chips supports n networks. Just look at their own airport express. I believe it is up to B&O to select which network speed

And the more recent ATVs

BeoNut since '75

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:00 AM

This is Apples own products where the network connectivity primarily serves a different purpose. One is a router, the other connects to the internet for content.

I'm talking about the Airplay chips which Apple forces other manufacturers to use if they want to label their products with the Airplay Logo. 

Here is another manufacturer tweeting about the subject:

https://twitter.com/Libratone/status/338983191274741761

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Just our of curiousity, if anyone have experienced the same: after few days of standby, my Beoplay A9 won't connect anymore to home WiFi but blinks indefinitely both LEDs.

Once unplugged from mains (and then plugged back after 30 sec), it kind of "restarts" and normally connects to WiFi and works spotlessly again.

Why would that "extended standby" cause it? When I play it daily, it never falls into that kind of problem - only with few days of standby. :D

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Reminds me of the Tamagotchi-thingies, that my kids once had.

They had to nurse them, care for them - otherweise they sickened.

MBig SmileM

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Hahaha, MM you made my day! ROFL

An undocumented AI is sleeping inside of A9. :D I have to play with it every day, feed it and keep it happy - otherwise no music for me. ;)

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Update: I have been contacted by relevant person from B&O being responsible for A9. I will share my findouts and logs to help figuring out in which situations my "problem" could happen.

I couldn't believe top B&O people are reading this forum and are so proactively dealing with potential issues personally. Honestly, I wouldn't expect it ever - and this is why B&O has so much magic for me.

<3

Page 1 of 2 (55 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS