Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 3000 and Platters and cartridges

rated by 0 users
This post has 0 Replies | 2 Followers

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew Posted: Mon, Jun 21 2021 7:47 PM

So the Beovirus got the better of me and after saying I had had enough of unreliable beograms I bought a Beogram 3000 (early one) as i want it to go with my Quad 33/303 and M100-2 setup - I also have the FM3 tuner and just won the wooden case for the 33/FM3 on ebay - visually it should look stunning.

The beogram came with a couple of faults, mainly noisy motor and I have taken that apart and lubricated it and also used some rubber renew on the idler wheel - it now runs quietly. The other problem was no sound on one channel - this turned out out to be the fact that someone had changed the lead to two RCAs and one of the connections had failed. I fixed that and got sound from both channels. The belt then kept coming off so I have ordered a new one from Beoparts. If the turntable works reliably I'll also order the idler wheel but need to see if I need a new cartridge first. I managed to polish up the lid and the whole thing looks really good.

A couple of questions - is the platter on the Beogram 3000 interchangable with say the 1202 one or a later one such as Beogram 1500, 1700 or even the newer 2000? I only ask as I think, in my opinion they are better looking platters and if one came up I would be tempted to change the platter but keep the original in case I ever sold it or want to keep it original.

The turntable had also been modified with an inbuilt RIAA amplifier and this is on veroboard so I am not sure if is causing distortion from the cartridge or if it just worn but will try and connect a new lead at some point. Am I correct in that the shield on the DIN plug is the earth? 

Am I also correct in thinking that the SP12 is the best cartridge to get if I have to replace it?

I don't know what it is about Beograms but they really are something special - life somehow feels better with one in it!

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS