Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 3000 Type 5228

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew Posted: Mon, Jun 28 2021 4:59 PM

I have a problem with my Beogram 3000 (1973 model). When  record reaches the end the arm does not automatically lift up and return. If I left the arm up and move it towards the centre then the autoreturn kicks in.

Auto start works fine - its just the picking up of the arm at the end of the record that doesn't work.

Greatful for any ideas

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Jun 29 2021 11:34 AM

I managed to sort out the auto-return but now the autostart doesnt work! - this is not such a big problem as I dont mind manually cueing the record and for me anyway it works out better. It seems that when I removed the nylon circular collar underneath the platter I must have put it back in incorrectly, I reinstalled and made sure that the red mark on it lined up with the red lever/switch thing and all works other than auto cueing.

I have to say I love the look of it and from what I've heard so far it sounds very good - there is a slight buzz still from the motor I think, but it is very feint and there is a very slight rumble once the idler wheel is engaged but this also is very feint. Speedwise it's spot on and very accurate - looking forward now to trying it out.

Th manual isn't clear or explain how you reinstall the nylon collar, I've tried different permutations, but having got it working I'm reluctant to mess around with it anymore unless it's a simple fix someone knows about?

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

You'll notice that the grey plastic gear which fit's on the turntabe spindle,has a cut out in it.This should accomodate the fixing pin when in correct position.It is possible to fit the gear upside down,but it will then not engage correctly with the main cam lifting gear.

On the cam lifting gear,there are two clear plastic levers.Thes are actuated by in turn,by the start command and stop command.The movement of these two levers is crucial.Too tight,and nothing much happens,or too loose,and all sorts of odd behaviour ensues!n.b.don't be tempted to oil them!!

The auto lift at the end of the record is triggered by one of the levers being pushed in towards the main spindle gear by the pu arm, until it engages,and starts the cycle to return the arm.

It seems as though the gear on the spindle is in the wrong position?

Did you refit the gear locking pin?

Nick

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Jun 30 2021 5:41 PM

Hi Solderon - many thanks - I did spray them with some silicone lubricant - I didn't see a locking pin though - could you let me know where this is - also should both the clear tabs be pointing outwards?

Thanks again

Once other question - I have the motor running very quietly but when you engage the flywheel this does give a rumbling noise, I tried some rubber renew on it and this softened it slightly, but I am wondering if the idler wheel is just worn or if they do actually make a noise simply because of the idler wheel. Speedwise it is more of less spot on 33.33 and fluctuates only very slightly but altering the speed can either reduce the noise or increase it slightly

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Jun 30 2021 6:56 PM

Andrew:

I did spray them with some silicone lubricant

Oh...
You must clean that off again.
It MUST run dry - exactly as it was originally.

The idler wheel will be hard and noisy by now.
New wheels are soon ready in Beoparts-shop.

Martin

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

Yes indeed,as Martin say's,and I can recommend the Beoparts replacement idler too,as I have one with my '3000.

The locking pin is a tapered metal pin that goes through the turntable spindle,it's an interference fit.

It secures the turntable against lifting upwards,and also prevent's the grey gear from turning independently.If yours is missing,you could probably fabricate a replacement .

The actuating levers on the cam wheel should point outwards,as the tooth on the extreme end needs to engage with the grey turntable gear when actuated.

Nick

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

Not to hijack the thread but I have a problem in the same ball park. When the records ends the arm move towards the center and then somewhat violently moves straight back sometimes scratching before it lift up and return. Sometimes it even goes as far as the very last grooves picking up a sound before it lift.

I don't remember it being like this from the start. I hit the back on the arm while it was playing as I lifted the dust cover, don't know if that could have caused something being out of alignment?

Auto start works perfect.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Jul 2 2021 2:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback - yes the locking pin is in place, but it is quite high up so I'm not sure how that would affect the cog? I've taken it apart again and cleaned everything ad then put it back together - the auto stop is still working and you can hear the mechanism in action but it's as if it's not catching on the lug thing to pull the arm to the start of the record - yet it catches it to return the arm? I don't know if anyone has a picture of the mechanism how it should be? I've looked on the internet and YouTube but not found anything yet

I'll definitely order a new idler wheel from Martin - by the way, the belt is brilliant and works really well. When I get the idler wheel I'll open her up again - I'm terrified having got it working that I mess something up!

I'm loving the sound quality of the turntable though - there seems to be more bass and treble and it is very clear. 

Peter - mine did that too and I found out that it needed a new stylus - I bought a second hand SP12 and it sounds perfect - one way I tested that was to increase the weight on the arm so that it tracked properly. Not sure if that is what it is only an observation from mine.

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

Andrew:

Peter - mine did that too and I found out that it needed a new stylus - I bought a second hand SP12 and it sounds perfect - one way I tested that was to increase the weight on the arm so that it tracked properly. Not sure if that is what it is only an observation from mine.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks, that might very well be the case as I bumped pretty hard into the arm with the lid/cover when taking it off when the record was playing. Lesson learned never put it on when in use! I will check if increasing the weight helps and get a new SP12 as well. What a great excuse for upgrading from SP10 to SP12 Big Smile

Another thing I noticed is that the platter is uneven height wise. According to the service manual it should be the same height all way around. There's instructions how to adjust it, but as far as I can tell you need to open it up.

Peter

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member

Update, just tried to increase the weight on the arm to 3 grams. That worked on one record while on another it still skated back before lifting and returning to base and on a third it lifted prematurely.

Up to now it has worked beautiful since I got it three months ago. The only thing that has happened was that I hit the arm while playing and turning the knob all the way to 17 which demanded quite a bit of force compared to the other settings.

Don't know what to think of it.

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 replied on Sun, Jul 4 2021 10:30 AM

Problem solved (fingers crossed)

I dissembled the cam gear mechanism and put it back together and now it works again. When taking it apart there was a loud click so something was out of alignment, probably caused by me hitting the pickup arm pretty hard while it was playing. Lesson: Never put the lid on while playing.

Now I just need to get the arm parallel again, that is now a little out of alignment.

I'm wanting to take the deck completely apart to clean and oil everything but for now the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule applies. I'm picking up another 1202 deck today though so with a backup I might jump in.

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS