Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSystem Mark I, II, III hardware, digital audio thru ML

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

beopaul
Not Ranked
Posts 83
Bronze Member
beopaul Posted: Fri, Mar 16 2012 7:59 PM

I have a Mark I BeoSystem 3, would like to stream HDMI audio through ML, and have heard a rumor that this might require a hardware upgrade if it's even possible.  Anyone know more about this? My dealer was going to look into this but no word back yet.

Beyone this, anyone know the differences in the hardware between BeoSystem 3 generations?  Here's what I know so far:

Mark I: no AST, no 3D, can't stream digital audio through ML

Mark II: updated DSM to allow AST, (digital audio through ML??)

Mark II: updated to add 3D, DVI-out replaced with HDMI, can stream digital audio through ML, 

Any other significant hardware differences?

-- Paul

Newcastle
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
Newcastle replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 8:39 PM

You can never stream digital audio through ML - it is an analogue system.

It is very good though - bearing in mind when it comes to audio these days the trend is to spend hundreds of pounds converting digital audio to analogue via a fancy DAC.

ML has been superceeded by NL (network link) via CAT 7 cabling and a HDMI matrix - this would allow you to distribute HDMI audio around the house.

Alex
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Bronze Member
Alex replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 3:17 AM

The DSM (hardware) needs to be upgraded to the 2.5 version.  Not sure how much it will run you but I don't think it's anything entirely unreasonable.

beopaul
Not Ranked
Posts 83
Bronze Member
beopaul replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 5:28 AM
It would be first converted to analog, just as it needs to be before going over powerlink, before going over ML. That way you could easily listen to Apple TV, for instance, which I don't think my Mark I currently allows.

Newcastle:

You can never stream digital audio through ML - it is an analogue system.

It is very good though - bearing in mind when it comes to audio these days the trend is to spend hundreds of pounds converting digital audio to analogue via a fancy DAC.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:40 AM
Yes, BS3 can stream audio through ML. But it makes not a lot of sense, because it only works if BS3 in main room is switched on. So if you want to hear the music via ML when BS3 is switched off, you have the device (Apple TV) also to connect at an analogue audio input of BS3.

Regards

Räuber

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS