Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4004 tonearm queuing issue

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

recaptcha
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
recaptcha Posted: Mon, Jul 19 2021 1:13 AM

Hello Beoworld,

I am brand new to the world of Bang and Olufsen and to the Beogram and also to this forum. I am not new to repairing electronics or to vintage audio equipment, but B&o stuff is very foreign to me... although I absolutely have fallen in love with them and their design/sound. Watching reviews/repairs of B&o equipment recently on YouTube has really gotten me interested in trying them.

So I bought this Beogram 4004 after falling in love with it at a local shop. It came with the din to RCA adapter so I can use it with my Sansui 5000x amp. The thing works almost flawlessly, dropping the tonearm in the right spots, picking back up at the right time, and the speed is also spot on. It was also recently lubed and whoever did it knew what they were doing. Belt has also been replaced for tonearm servo.

BUT... It does have one problem. It will not slow queue the tonearm forward. It will fast queue forward and backwards when the start/stop buttons are pressed, but the slow queue forward button will only lift the tonearm when pressed. The slow queue backwards function works fine. So it all works with the exception of the slow queue forward function. The button itself is good because the unit registers the button is pressed and lifts the tonearm like its ready to move slowly forward, but nothing happens after the lift. (hope this makes sense)

The unit is really gorgeous, and I'd love to get that one function working... Can anyone help me troubleshoot the problem or give me advice from experience?

Thanks!

recaptcha
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
recaptcha replied on Mon, Jul 19 2021 1:24 AM

Here are some pics of the unit:

As you can see, it's all in very good condition and it has the MMC 20CL cart as opposed to the EN  that was more common I guess.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jul 19 2021 5:37 AM

Hi,

Welcome to Beoworld.
That is a fine example of a Beogram 4004.

I recommend getting a service manual for the Beogram 4004 before diving in on the electronics.  Once you have the service manual and schematics you can see where to probe and check the servo motor control. 

-sonavor

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jul 19 2021 7:23 AM

Check the trimmers and their settings (or replace them and readjust).
Particularly the ones for slow left/right.

Martin

recaptcha
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
recaptcha replied on Mon, Jul 19 2021 1:52 PM

Hi Martin,

I took your suggestion and found the trimmer pots for the slow left/right. After adjusting both of them, the tone arm slow movement is working just fine now… I had no idea it was something that simple! Unsure

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS