Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Idler wheel doesn't adjust speed?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

jcwenger
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jcwenger Posted: Mon, Jul 19 2021 9:51 PM

Sorry if this has been covered, I looked through threads and didn't find anything.

at 45RPM, the wheel seems to control speed, but at 33 RPM, I can turn the wheel from one stop to the other and there's no apparent change in turntable RPM. 

I have disassembled the idler assembly, lubricated it, and the idler slides smoothly up and down the shaft.

It feels like when turning the adjustment wheel, that its turning completely freely -- that the arm that should be pressed to the bottom of the idler wheel is not moving the wheel, except at the very far end of the range of motion where, I think, it pinches the idler hard against the belt drive pulley, and the friction is enough to stop the idler from rotating completely.

If I turn the opposite direction, then there's no change at all in speed.  It feels like as I turn the wheel and the idler adjustment arm lowers, that the idler itself never slides down the shaft to press against the larger diameter part of the motor shaft.  Should there be a spring or something that pushes the idler down the shaft?  It seems like the only thing in the system that would make the idler move is gravity, and the wheel weighs almost nothing.  So it feels like I turn the wheel, lower the arm, and the idler is happy to just sit in place on the motor shaft instead of moving lower.

Any suggestions?

jcwenger
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jcwenger replied on Mon, Jul 19 2021 9:54 PM

Dang it, misclicked.  Meant to post to BeoGram not Workbench.

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Tue, Jul 20 2021 1:05 PM

Might also help to explain what model of turntable you're asking about!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jul 20 2021 4:30 PM

jcwenger:

Dang it, misclicked.  Meant to post to BeoGram not Workbench.

Moved.

Yes, we would like to know, which Beogram model you have?

Martin

jcwenger
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Hmmm, reply didn't post.  Oops.

Beogram 3000 type 5231.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS