Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC1: How to ship?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Gregg Fautley
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 12
Bronze Member
Gregg Fautley Posted: Wed, Aug 11 2021 6:54 PM

Hello!  After a several month absence I have returned to the forum.  As some may recall, I bought a used Beogram 8002 at a local thrift store (!!!), sans cartridge.  Mechanically, it seemed to work, but of course I had no way to fully test it without a working cartridge.  Well, yesterday I pulled a big trigger on a used (condition unknown) MMC1.  Yes, I'm the guy that paid nearly $500.  The question now is, how do I have the cartridge safely shipped across the US?  It includes no original packing material.  When you look at the photos in the eBay ad (wow, it's dirty), that needle and cantilever look dangerously exposed.  Would it be worthwhile to purchase an empty B&O cartridge box for shipping purposes?

Thanks!

Gregg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304095467967?nma=true&si=SIVmq4O1yXIHevxQOawfEUzBgJw%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Aug 11 2021 8:31 PM

That's good that the seller offers returns! Refurbishing an MMC1 can cost you from $300 to $800.

Notice the clear plastic part? That is a sylus guard that can be pulled down to protect the stylus during shipping.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Aug 11 2021 9:46 PM

Gregg Fautley :
The question now is, how do I have the cartridge safely shipped across the US?

1-Pull the stylus guard as Beojeff suggest.
2-Buy a cheap yoga mat and cut three layers the size of an envelope.
3-Cut a hole roughly the size of the cartridge in one layer.
4-Make the sandwich: cardboard//plain yoga mat layer//yoga mat layer with hole and cartridge//plain yoga mat layer//Cardboard.
5-Ship the sandwich with a bubble envelope and value insurance up to 10000 Petro-Dollars.
6-Cross fingers until it arrives.

Did that many times and it did work. 

Gregg Fautley
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Thank you so much, gentlemen, for the answers!  I passed the info onto the seller.  He had mailed it before I could get matador43's excellent responses to him.  I did have great communications with the seller, and he understood my concerns.  The package is fully insured!

Gregg

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS