Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 6500 Skipping

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

blues_travler
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
blues_travler Posted: Thu, Feb 21 2013 1:40 AM

I have a recently activated Beogram 6500. It plays but has tracking issues, skipping every few seconds. I have cleaned the stylus. ( it looks normal as far as I can tell) I have made sure the stylus guard is up. The records are clean with no scratches.The tracking force is at 1 gm but I get a little improvement at the maximum tracking force. It is still not acceptable.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

If the deck was stored for longer time, you may have a cleaning and lubrication problem, also belt for the arm carrier may be too old, (if the skipping is backward) if the skipping is forward, there may be a problem with the opto coupler

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

blues_travler
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Thanks. It's been stored for several years. The skipping is forward in very short increments. Is there anything , that's practical, that I can do myself ?

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

I suggest that you get the stylus/cartridge refurbished by http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/ and a belt set from Dillen here http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/members/Dillen/default.aspx  (I suggest you send him an email)

Regards Graham

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

blues_travler:

Thanks. It's been stored for several years. The skipping is forward in very short increments. Is there anything , that's practical, that I can do myself ?

If you are a little handy, and know just a little about electronics, I suggest that you get the manual, available on site for silver and gold members, and then give the deck a good cleaning and lubricate it. If you have good sound, when not skipping, your pick up should be OK, if the sound is muffled or otherwise bad, the pickup will have to be repaired. New belts are cheap from Dillen, So when clean, lubricated, new belts and the pickup OK, try again.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

blues_travler
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Thank you, everyone, for your help. Unfortunately, I am not good at electronics. The sound is very good when not skipping so I hope tha means the needle is ok. I will try to pursue the cleaning and belt replacement route.

AudioOrigin
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Bronze Member

Hello,

To me it sounds very likely that the suspension in cartridge is failing,

Especially due to this comment “I get a little improvement at the maximum tracking force”

If you want to post me the cartridge I can test it for you and confirm if that is the issue or not.

I can also check for stylus wear under a microscope as you normally have it at 1 gram, I guess you have an MMC2 in which case if the diamond is still good a suspension only repair would be the best option.

Here is my website where I have cartridge repair services

www.audio-origin.co.uk

Best regards Alistair

Audio Origin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS