Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Add/connect to local NAS for music source

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

britbloke
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
britbloke Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2021 6:37 PM

How can I add a local NAS or shared folder of music to BeoLiving Intelligence, I don't use streaming services as have a huge local music collection I want to use.

Thanks!

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum. 

There is a thread under home automation from Khimo, the company behind the BLI, not sure if you have seen it just yet 

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/36777.aspx

I watched a video on the BLI and i couldn't see. What i could see is that when you are making say a scene and you select the device and the source you want, it seems to me that it's picking up the source from the unit / beoapp. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKmZ3OmDW_4

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I have found this link for you for the support documentation 

https://khimo.github.io/ 

With user guides etc 

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Wed, Sep 15 2021 8:26 AM

britbloke:
How can I add a local NAS or shared folder of music to BeoLiving Intelligence, I don't use streaming services as have a huge local music collection I want to use.

Thanks!

Enable or add a DLNA server on your NAS.

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Sat, Sep 18 2021 11:44 AM
Carolpa:

Enable or add a DLNA server on your NAS.

and what’s the next step? I never could figure it out with the BLI app. To listen to NAS content, I still use the BeoLink 2 app and N.Music. To bad Khimo has not implemented this feature in BLI when using N.Music.
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Sep 19 2021 4:58 PM
Griebel:

and what’s the next step? I never could figure it out with the BLI app. To listen to NAS content, I still use the BeoLink 2 app and N.Music. To bad Khimo has not implemented this feature in BLI when using N.Music.

the BeoLink 2 and BeoLiving app work the same with a DLNA server.

If the server is up and running (on the same network) the app should see it!

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Mon, Sep 20 2021 8:23 AM
Carolpa:

If the server is up and running (on the same network) the app should see it!

I don’t see any content when using N.Music with BLI, unlike with the BeoLink2 App where I can browse through the content.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Mon, Sep 20 2021 9:08 AM

According to the BLI GitHub it should happen automatically:

Q: How can I access a media library stored in a BeoMaster 5, or similar NAS (Network-Attached Storage), connected via DLNA?

On the BeoLiving app, you can access these media libraries by selecting any music source on a product (E.g: Music, Deezer, TuneIn, etc.), and pressing the “Content” button that can be found to the center-right of the screen.

Take into account that once the Storage device is connected, it will take some time to retrieve all the information on to the BLI. In the case of a full BeoMaster, this can take up to hours.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Sep 20 2021 3:00 PM
Griebel:

I don’t see any content when using N.Music with BLI, unlike with the BeoLink2 App where I can browse through the content.

you are using N.Music with a BS5?

Do you have a NL device? If so did you try Music as a source on this NL device?

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Tue, Sep 21 2021 7:33 AM
Carolpa:

You are using N.Music with a BS5?

Yes, I use N.Music with BM5/BS5

No I don’t use an NL music device. This is the reason it doesn’t work I believe. However, the BeoLink2 App allows you to access the music stored on the BM5 without an NL device. For this the BLI is a downgrade compared to the BeoLink2 App.
britbloke
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

DLNA is a very old protocol with very limited functionality, you can't search for example.  Plus restricted in sound bitrate.

britbloke
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Thanks for this  - looks like I have to pay for a B&O pro consult to do it, will let you know how it goes!

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Oct 3 2021 5:50 AM

britbloke:
you can't search for example.  Plus restricted in sound bitrate.
sorry, but both are simply incorrect.
britbloke:
DLNA is a very old protocol
I do not know your age, but the DLNA organisation is about 15 tears old........ so everything is relative Smile 

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Oct 3 2021 8:38 AM

Griebel:
Carolpa:
You are using N.Music with a BS5?

Yes, I use N.Music with BM5/BS5

No I don’t use an NL music device. This is the reason it doesn’t work I believe. However, the BeoLink2 App allows you to access the music stored on the BM5 without an NL device. For this the BLI is a downgrade compared to the BeoLink2 App.

is Twonky running on your BS5/BM5?

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Sun, Oct 3 2021 11:35 AM
Carolpa:

Is Twonky running on your BS5/BM5?

No
britbloke
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Please point me to an article showing how you can search for an artist or track on a DLNA server - all the ones I have used/tried have no search system.  The bit rate depends on the features of the particiular DLNA server you are suign, some allow you to set a bitrate preference, others do not.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Oct 3 2021 9:20 PM

britbloke:
The bit rate depends on the features of the particiular DLNA server you are suign, some allow you to set a bitrate preference, others do not.
this is mostly a renderer or player issue. If a DAC can't handle 192kHz the music server can send the file, but the plater/renderer can't play it. Lot of servers let you transform the output to a  format playable by the renderer/player.

I will post later  some pictures that will show the search capability of a music server  (Minimserver) in the Beoliving app.

note: DLNA is/was just an organisation to develop and promote protocols for (media) interaction between devices. See there site. In 2017 they declared they had reached their goals. This DLNA organisation integrated the UPnP (AV) protocols.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Oct 4 2021 11:54 AM

Music plays - open Music Browsing in BLI app                                                Search for "Pat Metheny" - results are shown

"Artists - Show all" clicked in previous screen                                                        "Albums  - Show all" clicked in previous screen

you can start an album from one of these two screens

some searches work odd though; if you start a search for "Yesterday" in tracks, the app only shows 3 possible tracks. But if I start to play the first, the playlist in the app shows and plays every track with "Yesterday" in its name

britbloke
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
britbloke replied on Tue, Oct 5 2021 12:57 AM

Thanks so much for posting Carol! So your "BeoServer" and "BeoHyperServer" are DLNA server devices for your music source?  My screens are a bit different to yours, I don't have search options and also your visuals (alubum covers etc.) are a lot more refind that mine!

I have a local DLNA server configured on B&O devices (Plex) So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Tue, Oct 5 2021 4:31 PM

britbloke:
So your "BeoServer" and "BeoHyperServer" are DLNA server devices for your music source?
Correct.

britbloke:
My screens are a bit different to yours
Your using th BLI app? which version (number)? Try the app Beolink 2 (if still availeble in the appstore). Does this change your searching capabilities? If not the server used seams not to be capable to do so.

britbloke:
visuals (alubum covers etc.) are a lot more refind that mine!
that is dependent on the resolution of the pictures used. I embed the Album pictures in the music files and use mostly resolutions of 1000x1000px.

Maybe you should try another UPnP/DLNA server.... there are a lot out there. For music I finally did choose Minimserver.

britbloke
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Just installed and testing MiniMServer instead of Plex and so far so good!!

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Thu, Oct 7 2021 1:29 PM

Griebel:
Carolpa:
Is Twonky running on your BS5/BM5?
No
Goto the settings menu of the BS5/BM5 and change the settings "Music Server" to ON. 

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Sat, Oct 9 2021 5:13 PM
Carolpa:

Goto the settings menu of the BS5/BM5 and change the settings "Music Server" to ON.

The setting of « Music Server » has always been ON
Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS