Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Help with a Beocord 8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Cplyons
Not Ranked
Upstate New York, USA
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Cplyons Posted: Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:59 PM

When I got my condition-unknown Beocord 8000 yesterday I fired it up, was amazed that all transport functions worked, as did the display/clock function and both channels of audio. Played fine for first five minutes. Now one channel is out. But headphone output sends perfect signal. I would like to have a datalink enabled cassette deck. Is this worth repairing?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 5:27 PM

Worth repairing, yes.
Replace the record/playback relay(s) as the first thing.

Martin

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
Posts 184
Gold Member
marc replied on Fri, Feb 22 2013 9:35 PM
Hi

I also picked up a beocord 8000 the other day very good cosmetic condition fully working display but only the left channel working, you were saying Martin to check relays, would you be so kind to post some pics of what to look for and if it turns out not to be relays, what next

Marc
Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 7:40 AM

Marc,

To be honest, if you cannot locate the playback/record relay in your Beocord, you can't service the thing yourself.
Don't get me wrong, I have the deepest respect for people trying to solve things themselves but
servicing B&O is not like any other stereo and I've seen too many failed DIY attempts.

The relay switches the tapehead from the record to the playback circuits and sits right next to the tapehead connector.

If the relay is not the problem, load a test tape and put an oscilloscope to the signal path(s) to see where
the signal gets lost. Could be a trimmer or a capacitor somewhere.

Martin

j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Bronze Member
j0hnbarker replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:49 AM

Dillen:

Marc,

To be honest, if you cannot locate the playback/record relay in your Beocord, you can't service the thing yourself.
Don't get me wrong, I have the deepest respect for people trying to solve things themselves but
servicing B&O is not like any other stereo and I've seen too many failed DIY attempts.

The relay switches the tapehead from the record to the playback circuits and sits right next to the tapehead connector.

If the relay is not the problem, load a test tape and put an oscilloscope to the signal path(s) to see where
the signal gets lost. Could be a trimmer or a capacitor somewhere.

Martin

+1 to this. I messed about with my own 8004 when I couldn't get any output from either channel. My 'investigations' also killed the power supply!

I sent it to Martin and now it works perfectly and I learnt a lesson!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:55 AM

I agree with Martin. Relay first, then bad capacitor. I have come across both problems on my various two head Beocords. Even both at the same time! A red ROE cap was even completely shorted on one channel once! Sometimes, this can even lead to burnt PSU series resistors.

Do replace those ominous ROE caps first.

What does it do when Dolby is out?

When Martin tells you to check with your oscilloscope, he's testing you! Wink

Jacques

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
Posts 184
Gold Member
marc replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:20 PM
Hi i agree with yourself and Martin to get looked at by someone in the know. It's just I wanted some background info so I don't get ripped off when I take it to get repaired and being told it was 100 other things.

Regards

Marc
Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:44 PM
The easy solution to that is send to trustworthy shop. Sorry I'm on iPod and can't see your location, but if you're in the states, I have a trustworthy shop to recommend that's worked on six of my beo pieces.

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
Posts 184
Gold Member
marc replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 2:02 PM
I live in s.wales u.k if anyone knows of trustworthy or repair

Marc
j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Bronze Member

A bit like the A Team, if you can find him and he wants to help, then Tim Jarman would be a good local choice. Peter has his contact details. Tim has worked on many of my collection over the years, but the only problem I found is that he prefers you to bring the item in person rather than post it. 

Alternatively, I have also sent stuff to Martin in Denmark. In fact, Martin had my Beocord 8004 earlier this month when I made a mess of 'having a look' inside to see what was wrong. It now plays wonderfully and I am very happy with it.

Either would be excellent choices. 

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
Posts 184
Gold Member
marc replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 6:52 PM

Thanks so much for that info sounds a lot better then taking b&o gear elsewhere.

marc 

Rudolfo
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Rudolfo replied on Tue, Aug 24 2021 4:39 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the thread resurrection. I ran into one of these decks and I need to work on it for 1 channel is out too.

BeoCord 8004. Does anyone knows the equivalent of the old Omron G2V-2 relay 6-volts DC?

I'm not sure if I this is the correct equivalent. Omron G5V-2-DC6

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron-Electronics/G5V-2-DC6?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduhzJvaU0iUSc3cCHQOxp9aNIG8cz846vWc%3D

Any input will be great and thanks, R.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS