Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

No AUX at Beoplay A1 second Gen

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

mdg77
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
mdg77 Posted: Tue, Nov 9 2021 10:46 AM

Hi, I just bought a Beoplay A1 second Gen - unfortunately the second Gen A1 is missing the 3,5mm-Aux-connector. It only has a USB-C-Connector. Bluetooth works fine, but isn't realy an option to me for several reasons.

So I tried to plug my USB-C-to-3,5-Adapter I use for my IPad-Air to the Beoplay A1 - which didn't work. USB-C-Plugs differ from plug to plug, so my question is: Is a working USB-C-to-3,5mm-Adapter available somewhere?

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Fri, Nov 12 2021 2:28 PM

One tip I can give for connecting the iPad with a cable to the A1 is to just use USB all the way.

• If your iPad has a USB-C connector, a direct USB-C to USB-C cable will do the trick. 
  • In case of a Lightning connector, your best bet is Apple's Lightning to USB-A adapter and then a USB-A to USB-C cable (direct Lightning to USB-C cable won't work).

The problem with finding a compatible 3,5 mm to USB dongle is that the A1 is not a USB host device (like a computer, smartphone or tablet) but instead a peripheral – which the dongles are usually too. This results in a situation where neither device knows how to talk to one another.

Maybe if you list your specific use cases we could provide alternative suggestions?

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

mdg77
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
mdg77 replied on Mon, Nov 15 2021 9:56 AM

tph:

One tip I can give for connecting the iPad with a cable to the A1 is to just use USB all the way.

The problem with finding a compatible 3,5 mm to USB dongle is that the A1 is not a USB host device (like a computer, smartphone or tablet) but instead a peripheral – which the dongles are usually too. This results in a situation where neither device knows how to talk to one another.

Maybe if you list your specific use cases we could provide alternative suggestions?

Thank you! In my opinion you described the Problem perfectly. To give an update:

I also asked B&O for help - there I was told to buy AUX-to-USB-C-Adapter with DAC. I did so - and it didn't work. Even with DAC. The only way I think COULD work, is using the Behringer UCA222; it translates the analog AUX signal, digitizes it and sends it to USB - which works, when being connected to a computer and might also work, when being connected to the A1, as the A1 in that moment does more or less the same, as a computer does.

Specific use: I own a beautiful, perfectly maintained, white Beosystem 7000 (receiver and record player, controlled by a Beolink5000) with an original white Beolab2 und two Beolob8000. From the Tape-Connector of the Receiver I grabbed a Line-Out-Signal and plugged 2 Cinch-Y-Connectors. Two of the Connectors lead to an AUX-cable, which leads to another room, where a modern Beolit20 is attached - via AUX. Perfect sound!

The other two Connectors lead to a BT1100-Sennheiser-Bluetooth-Transmitter, which sends the signal to my A1. The Problem is: There is small latency (half a second, maybe) between the A1, and the Beolab2/Beolab8000/Beolit20. Mostly I can deal with that. Often enough I don't. So I am searching for a solution to avoid the latency, which would work best, if there is a way to Connect the A1 via USB to my system.

As far as I can say, I could either try to give a similar latency to the rest of the eqipment - which exceeds my technial knowledge - or try to find a 1st-Gen-A1-Speaker, which still had AUX - what I really don't want to.

The whole Equipment works fine and sounds great, i even attached a device to my Beomaster, which reveives Bluetooth and a Converter, to create an AUX-Signal from the Toslink-Signal of my new TV.

Sounds a bit insane, all in all, but that's B&O...

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Mon, Nov 15 2021 8:14 PM

mdg77:
The only way I think COULD work, is using the Behringer UCA222; it translates the analog AUX signal, digitizes it and sends it to USB - which works, when being connected to a computer and might also work, when being connected to the A1, as the A1 in that moment does more or less the same, as a computer does.

I am almost certain this will not work either – the UCA222 is a peripheral device as well, and requires a host device to work. Male USB-A connector (and permanently wired at that) is a telltale sign of this. You would need to connect it to a computer along with the A1, and then run a piece of software that will loop the audio from the audio input to the A1 (some computers also have built-in line inputs, in which case you wouldn't need an external ADC).

You could also do this with a very small system like a Raspberry Pi (with an appropriate ADC such as HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC, or a USB ADC).

There will be some latency involved with this as the audio makes a round trip through the computer's operating system, but it may vary based on the exact hardware and software being used.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

mdg77
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
mdg77 replied on Tue, Nov 16 2021 1:31 PM

tph:

You could also do this with a very small system like a Raspberry Pi (with an appropriate ADC such as HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC, or a USB ADC).

There will be some latency involved with this as the audio makes a round trip through the computer's operating system, but it may vary based on the exact hardware and software being used.

Again: Thank you for your assessment. I guess finding a small peace of hardware won't be the problem, I am wondering whether there is already software that converts an analog audio signal into a digital one automatically & permanently and outputs it. Anyway: Thank you.

And.. I just found this peace of Hardware: ELV AD100. Do you think that might work?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member
mdg77
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
mdg77 replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 1:47 PM

Thank you - the device digitizes the AUX-Signal, but the Signal via SPID/F / Coax is still not suitable for USB-C at my BeoplayA1 and there is no converter as well.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS