Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Integrating Beoplay S8, sonos and a record player

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

seir
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
seir Posted: Sun, Nov 14 2021 6:22 PM

Hi all,

I have recently inherited a set of Beoplay S8 speakers + subwoofer and am trying to link it up with the other systems in my house, but I am not sure if B&O and Sonos are compatible!

Is it possible to link the speakers + subwoofer to a Sonos Amp? What cables would I need to link them? 

The Sonos Amp has a standard RCA audio cable input, a standard RCA cable subwoofer output, and speaker terminals. 

I wanted to connect my Numark TT250 record player to the Sonos Amp + Beoplay. The turntable has a line out RCA cable and does not have a phono out option, and has a built in pre-amp. 

Any idea how to get this working? There must be a way! 

Thanks for all your help!

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sun, Nov 14 2021 7:22 PM

If you have not already purchased the Sonos Amp, instead purchase a Sonos Port.  Amp has line-level audio in and amplifier-out (to normal ("passive") speakers), vs. the Port has line-in and line-out (suitable for B&O amplified ("active") speakers).  It's cheaper too!  If you have S8 Mk.II, i.e. your S8 has the "connection hub", then you just need a commonly available cable, 2-RCA-Plug -to- 1/8"-stereo-headphone plug, to run from the Port's RCA outputs to the middle connector on the S8 connection hub.  If you have the S8 Mk.I (or a Mk.II but no hub), see below.

The Sonos devices have an "auto play" feature where any selected room will switch to the line input, thus your turntable can play thru your Port (connected to the S8) or to your other Sonos speakers, whichever you choose -- without the annoyance of launching the Sonos app on your phone/tablet to select "line in" each time.

There are exceptions to being able to use the Sonos Amp with your S8, because of the two versions.  If you are stuck with the Amp, check your S8 to see if the switch on the bottom of the sub unit says "PL-A/PL-B/Line/Amp" or just "PL-A/PL-B/Line".  If the latter (more common), you will have to purchase a speaker-level -to- line-level power reduction box for the Sonos Amp.  Not recommended, just get the Port.  If the former, you could set the switch to "Amp" and ask for more help with S8 Mk.I.  The online B&O manuals are for the Mk.II version with the connection hub, and do not show or explain other uses or the fancy multi-pin "DB-" connector anymore.  Just in case you don't have it, here's the Mk.II manual.  You can look at the bottom of your subwoofer to see if it matches, before asking further.

https://bangolufsenassistentgohe.blob.core.windows.net/manuals/SPEAKERS/BEOPLAY_S8/3511435-1508-multi-ug-beoplay-s8-mk-II-master-4-a-web-2.pdf

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Peel of the sticker around the inputs and check if you have more inputs and outputs Wink

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

seir
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, really helpful! I haven't bought the Sonos Amp yet, so the Sonos Port sounds like the best option. 

I don't have a connection hub, so sounds like it might be the Mk. I (bought around 2015 I think). The bottom of the unit says "PL-A/PL-B/Line/Amp" - I've attached a photo of it for reference. The bottom of the subwoofer looks more similar to the BeoLab 14. What would be the next step? 

Thanks!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I have some extra satellites if you want to build a 5.1 system with your S8

PM me if interested Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sat, Nov 20 2021 6:06 PM

An old thread here might be all you need -- read it first: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/47268.aspx

If not, I don't own one so don't know whether the "line" switch setting just uses one Powerlink input without a trigger pin?  Detective guesses would say that since your switch came set to "line" (if you didn't do this yourself), then whatever cable you inherited with it, is what you should use.  Look for 2 RCA plugs to an RJ45 connector.  Anybody have an S8 Mk.1 manual for this person?    If not, just ask B&O; waste their time as payback for deleting it from their website!  Or one of the board sponsors, SoundsHeavenly, could probably make you a cable.

BTW, if you have the DB-15 "hydra" cable (speaker wires+1RCA -to- DB15), you could use the "Amp" switch with a Sonos Amp.  You would do this only if the S8 is an intermediate step to getting "real" speakers and you want the Amp to power them someday.  For that connection, see this old thread: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/18125.aspx  But finding such a cable, if you don't have one already, might be tough.

[Edit: Set the Sonos Port's line out to "variable", otherwise you're in for a rude awakening!  Volume is always max on S8 without connection hub.  Also, the main thread when the S8 came out is here: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/11629.aspx , which implies that it came with the RCA-RJ45 cable, stock..]

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS