Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Late 2021 BeoSound 5 SSD Upgrade

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

C Allen
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
C Allen Posted: Fri, Nov 19 2021 6:35 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a BeoSound 5 which was working great, however scrolling through albums appeared slow and would occasionally freeze, having read the comments on this site that an SSD would resolve this issue I set about finding a Crucial MX100 1 TB, however I could not find any stock.

I decided to purchased the newer MX500 1TB from Amazon, I cloned the drive using a standalone HD cloner (not hte B&O service tool) and the BeoLab 5 is working flawlessly, album tracks scroll so fast and the system feels super fast and boots very quickly.

If you've been hesitant in changing the original HD for a newer one rest assured the newer MX500 drive will work.

Best regards,
Craig 

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Tue, Nov 30 2021 8:28 AM
Quick question: is the SSD connector the same as that of the original HDD?
RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Wed, Dec 1 2021 11:11 PM

yes!

The SSD and the HDD have both a standard SATA power connector and a SATA data connector.

Just pull the two cables from the HDD and connect them to the SSD.

Ralph-Marcus

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Thu, Dec 2 2021 8:11 AM
RaMaBo:

The SSD and the HDD have both a standard SATA power connector and a SATA data connector.

Just pull the two cables from the HDD and connect them to the SSD.

Great, thanks!
FDA-Sup
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
FDA-Sup replied on Fri, Jan 14 2022 11:56 AM

Hi

I have tried to change the harddrive from a HDD to SSD, but after I have cloned the disk, the Beomaster 5 worn't startup any more. I was not able to copy the serial number from the old disk to the new one. 

Is there any way to do that? I have the servicetool 1.10, but not on a B&O USB stick.

Best regards

Flemming

C Allen
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
C Allen replied on Thu, Jan 20 2022 2:12 PM

Hi Flemming,

Unfortunately I don't have the cloning tool so can't answer your question, instead I purchased form Amazon an external docking station to clone the drive:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H7D5W4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You simply plug the old hard drive into the source port and the new SSD into the target port and hold down the button. After about an hour everything had copied over including the serial number. You don't even need to plug it into a computer so the whole process was thankfully very easy. 

Kind regards,
Craig 

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sat, Jan 22 2022 12:21 AM
I did the same.

And I still have the old drive somewhere Wink
Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 8:33 AM

Many thanks for the top tip. Your post made me bite the bullet and go for it.

In our house we have two BS5 (one 1 TB and one 500GB) I started with the 500GB, waiting for the 1 TB to arrive later today. Should work too I guess.

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 10:24 AM

Two follow up questions:

- Can I run two BS5 with the same serial number ? Meaning to clone a HDD twice and having them both to run and have internet radio ?

- Strange thing is the N Radio updates are so outdated  (November 2019 and May 2020) and different on both systems  How come ?

Nevertheless they are working so a bit hesitant to screw it up in a way (even if they have some missing radio logos)

I will try to add pictures

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 10:57 AM

C Allen
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
C Allen replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 11:24 AM

Hi, I am unsure if you are able to run two products with the same serial number, I would be a little wary as the product is registered to Bang & Olufsen over the internet so it may cause issues if their server recognises two identical devices. 

I too had problems with the internet radio database, I resolved this by opening the maintenance menu and selected 'Delete databases' I did this on the cloned hard drive just in case I messed something up, fortunately there was no problem and many radio stations that had stopped working became available. 

The system does then perform a reindexing which can take many many hours, you can still use the system but it will be doing lots of work in the background (rebuilding MOTS etc).

Kind regards,
Craig 

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 11:57 AM

Thanks

In the maintenance part what does youre mention as last radio station update?

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 11:57 AM

Thanks

In the maintenance part what does youre mention as last radio station update?

C Allen
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
C Allen replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 12:05 PM

I just checked and under product info 'Last N.Radio update: 2022-02-15'

That corresponds with when I wiped the database and haven't had any issues since, strongly recommend you do this after you've cloned the drive though - just in case something goes wrong.

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 12:11 PM

Super ! Thanks again !

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 12:30 PM

Beomaster 5's (part of the BS5) has its serial number stored on both mainboard and harddrive. Both need to match. Otherwise you will get no updates.

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Fri, Feb 18 2022 9:01 AM

Thanks this is the issue indeed. Nothing matches unfortunately.  Can You write a different Serial Number in the Motherboard and HDD with the service tool ? And make them match ?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Feb 18 2022 6:07 PM

You can't change serial numbers with the service tool. Only program "empty" harddrives or mainboards. 

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS