Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O 4000's with Airplay

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

paddy2042
Top 500 Contributor
Newtown NSW Australia
Posts 210
Founder
paddy2042 Posted: Sun, Mar 18 2012 12:44 AM

Is anyone able to tell me how to connect my BL4000's to Airport Express so that I can use Airplay? Will they turn on and off automatically? Do I use DIN or Line? What cord?

At the moment I have the speakers connected to an Avant. Am I better to somehow connect via the Avant or isolate the speakers and use solely with Express? I thought if cI could use the Avant then they would turn on and off etc.

Many thanks

Patrick

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 1:57 AM

I'm thinking that it might be nice to keep your speakers connected to the Avant and use an Apple TV connected to the Avant for airplay. You can use the Picture Mute function to turn the Avant's screen off.

paddy2042
Top 500 Contributor
Newtown NSW Australia
Posts 210
Founder
paddy2042 replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 3:07 AM

I'm not sure about the mute, but you can't connect an Apple TV to an Avant can you?

Patrick

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hello,

I bought some beautiful BL4000s, which i bought from a guy here in Melbourne, and since I have given them to my father,  I setup with Airplay.

But you have to do a few things:

> The BL have the RCA to 3.5mm jack that goes in to an airport express

> But before they go in to the Airport Express you have to hook them up to an attenuator (volume control) because otherwise they go at maximum volume

> Then you can use airplay

Regards

Michael

paddy2042
Top 500 Contributor
Newtown NSW Australia
Posts 210
Founder
paddy2042 replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:08 AM

Where do I buy an attenuator?

Patrick

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:26 AM

mickhoog:

> But before they go in to the Airport Express you have to hook them up to an attenuator (volume control) because otherwise they go at maximum volume

What's wrong with the volume slider in your iDevice or iTunes?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 2:24 PM

paddy2042:

I'm not sure about the mute, but you can't connect an Apple TV to an Avant can you?

Patrick

You can connect the first generation Apple TV to a U.S. Avant via component input. If the non-US Avant only has scary, you might need an adapter or converter. There are also converters to convert the HDMI from a second or third generation Apple TV, but those converters will cost a little more. I believe it's the "P.MUTE" function that you can add to the Beo4 to have sound only. I was just trying to help you find a solution so you could use the same set of speakers for your Avant as well as iTunes.

paddy2042
Top 500 Contributor
Newtown NSW Australia
Posts 210
Founder
paddy2042 replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:12 PM

This is sounding very involved. Maybe I am better connecting the line of each speaker directly to the iMac and I can control itunes with my iphone. I'm guessing this would work. Can I daisy chain the line inputs of the 4000's or must they each come to the mini stereo jack of the iMac? Will they turn on and off if I do it this way? Can the USB or any of the other connections of the iMac output sound to speakers or other devices like a VHS/DVD player connected to the Avant?

Patrick

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I found that when i plugged in the 3.5 to the airport express it didn't take notice of the volume slider.   Yours may, but it didn't work for me.  

An attenuator is just a manual volume control.  I used one that was a 3.5 male at one end and a 3.5 female at the other with a volume control in the middle.

These are just my findings. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

mickhoog:
I found that when i plugged in the 3.5 to the airport express it didn't take notice of the volume slider.

Guys, check this "Device" preference option out ... it may give you what you want:

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Thanks Ed.  I will try this also with my BL4's :-) and let you know.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Thanks Ed.  I will try this also with my BL4's :-) and let you know.

peria
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Bronze Member
peria replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 5:53 AM
I have connected my AppleTV2 to my Avant VCR composite input visa a $40 HDMI converter. The picture is surprisingly good, though I did it mostly for music. The picture mute functions perfectly. It is all controlled directly through Beo4 as the ATV2 learns any IR remote. So my Avant thinks it's controlling a Panasonic VCR. Works perfectly.

This is the link for the converter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047PDBP0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_am_it_ws_us?ie=UTF8

This is the link for info about AppleTV remote learning:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296
Christophe75
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

peria:
I have connected my AppleTV2 to my Avant VCR composite input visa a $40 HDMI converter. The picture is surprisingly good, though I did it mostly for music. The picture mute functions perfectly. It is all controlled directly through Beo4 as the ATV2 learns any IR remote. So my Avant thinks it's controlling a Panasonic VCR. Works perfectly.

You're using the STB controller of your Avant as AppleTV2 cannot get beo4 IR, is that right?

Klas Hesselman
Not Ranked
Singapore
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Hi Michael; do you have a picture of this volume controller and idea of where you bought it? I'm having trouble finding it in Singapore.....

Henrik Toubro
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 70
Bronze Member

When I had my Avant, I had my Airport Express connected to the VTape scart socket. I choose it by pressing list until the display said AV, and then pressed the VTape button. This way the screen did not turn on. This also made it possible for me to listen to it in my linkrooms, by pressing VTape in those rooms.

If you don't have AV in your list, you can add it.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Klas:

Hi Michael; do you have a picture of this volume controller and idea of where you bought it? I'm having trouble finding it in Singapore.....

Hi Klas i'll take a photo of it on the weekend and post for you.

I am going to try Eds suggestion (which I actually forgot about).  I'll also try it with my BL4s as well.

All the best.

Michael ;-)

PS if you're having trouble, and if i can't think of a way with out it i can send you one.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hi Klaus,

I have mucked around with the setup to see what I was on about.  Here's my updated findings when connecting things via the 3.5mm jack:

• BL4s plugged directly in to an iphone 4 - can control the volume with the volume slider within your idevice
  • BL4's plugged directly in to an apple iPad dock connector - cannot control the volume with the volume slider within your idevice.  As soon as I dock I lose all volume control and goes to maximum.  This is what I bought the attenuator for (it's a manual volume controller).  When i connect my iPad (version 1) to the BS8 there is no issue as the BS8 controls the volume
  • BL4's plugged directly in to an Airport Extreme - can control the volume with the volume slider within your idevice

Hope this helps and apologies if my earlier posts were confusing / contradictory. 

Regards

MH

PS Ed, I think the volume control from remote speakers is relation to allowing 3rd party remote controls.  

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS