Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision 10-40 & Beolab 8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Majomi
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Majomi Posted: Mon, Jan 3 2022 1:07 PM

Hi Beoworld,

I have a pair of Beolab 8000's in a bedroom, and I have the opportunity to buy a Beovision 10-40. I would really welcome this upgrade to the bedroom, since i love the design of the beovision 10, and wouldn't mind the opportunity to watch TV in the bedroom. Also I think the speakers in the beovision 10 combined with the Beolab 8000, would sound great... for movies/tv-shows....

However... I use the beolab 8000s for music (stereo) - connected to a sonos port - and I'm afraid of a couple of things....

1. With the beolabs connected to the sonos port, I can turn on the 'loudness' feature which GREATLY increases the sound at low levels, to the point where if I'm not able to do this using the beovision 10, the beolab 8000s would sound way to thin for low level music listening. (maybe there is a better EQ in the beovision?)

2. With the beolab 8000s connected to the beovision 10-40 + Apple TV connected to the beovision. Will I be able to just airplay music from my phone to the Apple TV, and then the whole system turns on? and will I be able to automate the system to turn off the beovision speaker, since I do not want center speaker turned on when listening to music... 

3. ONE MORE THING Big Smile , would i be able to use a beoremote one? to say, automate a specific playlist to be played from Apple Music when I press a button on the remote, or is this feature only for the new B&O stuff...

sorry for the many questions.... but I've tried to research myself, without luck...

Majomi
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Majomi replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 1:10 PM

the easiest solution I could think off, would be... to keep the beolabs on 'line in' - connected to the sonos port, so it works as it does right now.... and then manually switch the two beolabs to phono when I want to use the beovision..... this, however is not optimal imo..

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 2:10 PM

I can't really help with the sonos connection part, but I am sure that others will make suggestions.  However ...

Majomi:
1. With the beolabs connected to the sonos port, I can turn on the 'loudness' feature which GREATLY increases the sound at low levels, to the point where if I'm not able to do this using the beovision 10, the beolab 8000s would sound way to thin for low level music listening. (maybe there is a better EQ in the beovision?)

There is a 'loudness' feature in the BV10's sound settings - but I can't say how it compares with the sonos.

Majomi:
2. With the beolab 8000s connected to the beovision 10-40 + Apple TV connected to the beovision. Will I be able to just airplay music from my phone to the Apple TV, and then the whole system turns on?

It's worth having a read of this thread: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/34673.aspx?PageIndex=1 and in particular madskp's para 6 of his first post.  I have recently purchased a BV10 (32") and have experimented with madskp's findings - I can't get the Apple TV to turn on the Beovision unless I keep the siri remote 'alive', and even then it's not reliable.  The basic problem is that B&O do not make use of hdmi CEC, as far as I know.

Majomi:
will I be able to automate the system to turn off the beovision speaker, since I do not want center speaker turned on when listening to music... 

I suspect that it will be impossible to automate this, but you can simply select Sound Mode 2 on the Beo4 remote, which switches off the centre speaker.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 2:19 PM

A further thought - you could use one of these perhaps to enable the TV and Sonos to 'share' the speakers: https://shop.oneremote.dk/shop/69116-powerlink-aux-adaptor/

Majomi
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Majomi replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:01 PM

Thank you so much for the help!

So if I can quickly switch the speakers to stereo mode from the remote, then it is not an issue for me... 

How about if I buy the Beoremote one, will i be able to control the Apple TV and the beovision 10 from one remote? As long as I can stick to using just one remote, then im fine with having to turn on the system before playing music. I can just use the Apple Music app on the Apple TV. 

Also, my mothers beovision 10-46 panel broke a couple of years ago, and there was no way to fix this... is this something I should be worried about in general with beovision 10s or is this rare? My mothers beovision 10-46 turns on and can play a movie for a couple of minutes, but then suddenly the screen will go black or be full of white stripes.... 

Majomi
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Majomi replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:01 PM

Thank you so much for the help!

So if I can quickly switch the speakers to stereo mode from the remote, then it is not an issue for me... 

How about if I buy the Beoremote one, will i be able to control the Apple TV and the beovision 10 from one remote? As long as I can stick to using just one remote, then im fine with having to turn on the system before playing music. I can just use the Apple Music app on the Apple TV. 

Also, my mothers beovision 10-46 panel broke a couple of years ago, and there was no way to fix this... is this something I should be worried about in general with beovision 10s or is this rare? My mothers beovision 10-46 turns on and can play a movie for a couple of minutes, but then suddenly the screen will go black or be full of white stripes.... 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 4:08 PM

As long as the BV10 has the Apple TV PUC in the STB menu then you should be able to control it using a normal Beo4 - I don't have any experience of Beoremote One, but I think it may be an unnecessary expense!

Regarding the screen, I suppose my advice would to be to buy as new a TV as possible.  But I haven't heard of many BV10 screen problems in my time on this forum.  

Having spent a long time looking for my BV10-32, I was very careful to make  sure that the TV that I purchased had the options that I wanted: In my case I wanted a DVB T2 Tuner (to receive Freeview HD here in UK) and the non-reflective glass.  These were marked on the TV's label as 'T2C' and 'COG' respectively.  I also purchased a motorised floor stand separately that I find very useful.

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 5:39 PM

Majomi, Guy, I was reading your conversation and had some thoughts about this set-up too, and I would really go for connecting the BeoLabs to the BV10 also.

When the Sonos Port has L/R RCA outputs (and I think it has), couldn't you just connect it to the analog audio input of the BV10, and assign a BeoRemote button to that input? You could then stream the music as you are used to, use Speaker 2 to choose only the added BL8000s and use P-MUTE (Beo4) or Picture off (BR1) to switch off the screen. Beware of double volume control (Sonos and BV).

Alternatively (my preferred option), when an Apple TV can also function to cater for the music streaming you want Majomi, then also you can use P-MUTE or Picture Off to switch off the screen after you have selected the music. This option would be elegant when you already planned to add an Apple TV anyway for the video content. Skip the Sonos and you have much less cable salad! Another advantage is 3.0 'surround sound' for movies! You will need an IR PUC cable plugged in the TV's PUC socket and the IR emitter stuck onto the Apple TV face when you want to go for the single remote option. It is a bit of a settings safari, but imho absolutely worth it.

Regards, Johan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Majomi:

Hi Beoworld,

I have a pair of Beolab 8000's in a bedroom, and I have the opportunity to buy a Beovision 10-40. I would really welcome this upgrade to the bedroom, since i love the design of the beovision 10, and wouldn't mind the opportunity to watch TV in the bedroom. Also I think the speakers in the beovision 10 combined with the Beolab 8000, would sound great... for movies/tv-shows....

However... I use the beolab 8000s for music (stereo) - connected to a sonos port - and I'm afraid of a couple of things....

2. With the beolab 8000s connected to the beovision 10-40 + Apple TV connected to the beovision. Will I be able to just airplay music from my phone to the Apple TV, and then the whole system turns on? and will I be able to automate the system to turn off the beovision speaker, since I do not want center speaker turned on when listening to music... 

3. ONE MORE THING Big Smile , would i be able to use a beoremote one? to say, automate a specific playlist to be played from Apple Music when I press a button on the remote, or is this feature only for the new B&O stuff...

sorry for the many questions.... but I've tried to research myself, without luck...

1: Yes, there is a ‘loudness’ option in the Sound Settings for the BV10.

As you wrote, the benefit of having the BL8000’s connected to the BV10 is, that you have better sound for regular tv/movies.

My advice would be to connect the Sonos Port L/R out to a scart input (using a adapter with L/R connections).

Set the Sonos to fixed output (not to variable) in order to control the volume via the Beo remote.

Configure that scart connection to react to one of the (hard)buttons e.g V.MEM (on the newer remotes).

2: Connect the AppleTV (which version?) via HDMI.

There is no HDMI CEC support on the tv - this is an over 10 year old tv and CEC was very unreliable at that time (can still be).

B&O had already for several years had a solution to control external devices called PUC (a software that converts the ir protocols of the external device for use with the Beo remote). They still offer this with their new tv solutions.

The problem is, that - with a BV10 - this specific SW/PUC entry would have to be manually loaded into the BV by a B&O technician. 

If you are lucky, the BV10, that you are about to buy, might already have these codes loaded (from a previous owner). 

(In addition you will need an ir cable from the device/the ATV to the connection panel of the BV10).

There is no way to automate this proces - you will have to push the button, that is configured for the HDMI input used e.g. DVD on the newer Beo4.

After that you can control the ATV completely with the Beo remote.

If you want to hear only sound, you can push the AV button before the actual used source button e.g. AV->DVD.

Please ask for more details, if this is the way you want go - also read the User Guide here:

https://bangolufsenassistentgohe.blob.core.windows.net/manuals/TELEVISIONS/BEOVISION_10/beovision10_guide_english.pdf

By the way - this would be similar, if you have the Sonos Port connected via scart adapter.

3: By this tv I would not bother about the Beoremote One….it will be much to complicated and offer no advantages conpared to the Beo4 that came with the BV10….on the contrary.

Depending on the version of the BV10 (there were a MK1 and 2 and some different SW versions), I would advice using the Beo4/navi. Otherweise any fairly new Beo4 will do.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Johan 

Just saw thayou had written, while I was typing.

We are basicly saying the same.

Rightly set up the solution that Majomi wants can work pretty flawless.

MM

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 6:34 PM

^ Great advice, great forum (especially when we all agree! Smile)

Majomi
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Majomi replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 6:34 PM

Hi, thank you for the solutions! I read somewhere that they offer a beoremote one PUC and Bluetooth... if the beoremote one can control the beovision 10, then maybe the bluetooth version of the beoremote one can then flawlessly control the Apple TV? 

btw, I'm going to be using an Apple TV HD, but I also have a chromecast 1080p if there is some smart solution using that... 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Majomi:

Hi, thank you for the solutions! I read somewhere that they offer a beoremote one PUC and Bluetooth... if the beoremote one can control the beovision 10, then maybe the bluetooth version of the beoremote one can then flawlessly control the Apple TV? 

btw, I'm going to be using an Apple TV HD, but I also have a chromecast 1080p if there is some smart solution using that... 

The short answer to ‘use the Beoremote One’ is: no, that won’t work!

The reason I asked for the ATV version is, that there are different PUC codes for that.

You can control basic things with the older one….should there be one already installed.

However, the latest work better with the ATV4HD….should you opt for letting the tv be puc’ed (in case you have a dealer nearby).

As for the Chromecast dongle there is nothing to control there - you do everything on the sending device (apart - of corse - from sound etc).

MM

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 7:25 PM

Just for info, here's a picture of the PUC list on my BV10-32.  I too use ATV4HD, and have good/full control of the ATV using either Beo4 or Beo4 Navi.

(EDIT: From a previous discussion I think MM's PUC table shows 'Apple Remote (4th Gen ..)' rather than just 'Apple Remote')

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Guy:

Just for info, here's a picture of the PUC list on my BV10-32.  I too use ATV4HD, and have good/full control of the ATV using either Beo4 or Beo4 Navi.

(EDIT: From a previous discussion I think MM's PUC table shows 'Apple Remote (4th Gen ..)' rather than just 'Apple Remote')

That is correct!

There were some changes - I don’t know which ones anymore.

I haven’t had to use the old for a long time - my BV’s (Avant 1 gen/V1) prompted me to update the PUC at some point after Apple had made some changes for the ATV4.

——-

However, after all just to make it clear for Majomi…..….if the BV10, that he has, does not have any PUC codes installed or he will not want to invest in it, there will be no way around using two remotes!

One for controlling the ATV (the original Apple remote, that comes with the box) and then the Beo remote for source selection, volume control etc.

—- or simply use Airplay —-

Doable, but not the nicest way to use a BV.

MM

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 8:38 PM

Millemissen:

However, after all just to make it clear for Majomi…..….if the BV10, that he has, does not have any PUC codes installed or he will not want to invest in it, there will be no way around using two remotes!

One for controlling the ATV (the original Apple remote, that comes with the box) and then the Beo remote for source selection, volume control etc.

If the BV10's internal Tuners are disabled (in the menu), and the ATV's hdmi connection set up to use a BV10 input selected by 'TV', then he could get away with using the ATV's siri remote to switch the TV on/off and adjust volume, as long as the siri remote is the older version without the white circle.  That thread I linked to earlier discusses this method of control (paras 3,4 and 5).  But you'd need a Beo4 to set the TV up correctly in the first place.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Guy

As far as I remember it depends on the sw/firmware version of the BV10, if you can disable the tuner(s) or not…..correct me if I am wrong!

That is the reason, why I did not mention anything about disabling.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of that option with the ‘old remote’.

That however, is not the remote that you get nowadays.

If you build your viewing solely on the ATV, it might be worth it to get the old one.

But one should not forget, that in that case the ‘trick’ with AV and P.Mute will not be possible, when listening to music - also switching between Speaker 2 and 3 will not be possible.

MM

Majomi
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Majomi replied on Mon, Jan 3 2022 11:58 PM

I’m so impressed by the amount of help from all of you!

having read your replies, my first thoughts were:

it is really important to me that I only have to use one remote… so let’s stick with the beo4 remote (the one that beovision 10 comes with) now my to use cases for the tv:

1. Apple Music streaming to Beolab 8000s only (stereo %center speaker). I actually have an Apple Airport express, which I can maybe use? It basically gives any AUX line in Airplay 2… is there a way to connect this airport to the tv? If so, I could connect it to a channel on the tv and switch over to it every time I want to stream music.

2. Watch Movies/Tv-Shows. If I can make the Apple Music streaming work using the airport express, then I won’t need to use an Apple TV, and thus won’t have to use another remote… therefore I can just use my chrome cast 1080p version, and cast shows from my phone…

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

1: Connecting the APE would be exactly the same procedure as described with connecting a Sonos Port.

2: If you are happy with casting from a mobile device (via the Chromecast dongle) and you don’t need/want to use the apps on an ATV4HD, that could be the easiest solution.

MM

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Jan 4 2022 8:56 AM

Millemissen:
As far as I remember it depends on the sw/firmware version of the BV10, if you can disable the tuner(s) or not…..correct me if I am wrong!

I know that you can disable them on mine but it's a BV10-32 so the SW version won't be relevant.  Anyway, I also think that if just using a single remote then a Beo4 (or Beo4 Navi) is a far better option, especially for P.MUTE and sound settings.

I had a further though on the PUC for Apple TV.  Even if the BV10-40 does not already have the 'Apple Remote' STB/PUC already installed, then as long as it has some PUCs installed then you should be able to 'teach' the Apple TV to respond to a different set of IR codes.  I used this method on my BC6-26, and successfully taught the Apple TV to respond to a Humax STB PUC.  

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS