Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Help with vintage Beogram 1700

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

leehalpern
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
leehalpern Posted: Sat, Jan 8 2022 12:41 AM

Hello, new user here, recently inherited my mother's like new beogram 1700.

I have had this unit for 2 years and it has been a trusty friend with 0 issues...until I attempted to update my speakers...

Until Christmas, this beogram was connected to a similar aged receiver and passive speakers.  Things ran perfectly smoothly.....but life is changing and I needed to downsize my set up.  So, I purchased a behringer pre-amp and active Edifier speakers.   Suddenly, sound only plays from one speaker at a time.  I can swap which speaker plays by switching the wires coming out of the turntable.  This happens when I bypass the preamp entirely, only sound from one speaker that I can swap by switching the turntable wires (albeit very quiet sound).  The other speaker just hums.  I assumed this was a cartridge or wiring issue with the beogram, so I brought it to the local repair man and he said he tested the beogram and it produces sound strongly from both channels.  He even tested the preamp.  He swears the beogram is in perfect condition and has no clue what is going awry.  The speakers are brand new and work perfectly well with phones and computer input.  

Any help, please? Is the local repair guy just wrong?  Is there some issue with translating between vintage B&O technology and new RCA input active speakers?  Thank you so much, friends.

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jan 8 2022 7:27 AM

I would suggest that it is the phono RCA connector. These were very cheap and you may have an issue with either corrosion or the center pin size. If you’re handy I would replace both but you may find cleaning will also work. Based upon your troubleshooting this is where I would look. 

leehalpern
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Thank you, Mark! This is really helpful and what I’m hoping for. Do you think it would suffice to cut off the problem plug, expose some wiring and replace it with a new RCA plug? Trying to avoid opening the thing up too much, I’m a novice at wiring. Thank you!

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Jan 9 2022 2:56 AM

Actually, I would do that with both plugs. Also you can confirm both channels by using a meter to measure the resistance between the shield and hot (center) conductor when the turntable is unmuted (on and tonearm lowered). You should get about 1000 ohms.but the actual value doesn't't matter as much as the 2 channels being within 5% of each other. 

leehalpern
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Excellent, thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS