Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5500 clunking sound

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Ismo Posted: Thu, Jan 13 2022 1:05 PM

Hi,

I tried to find ideas from previous postings but no luck.

My problem is clunking sound when you play LP. It is only hearable at the very end of play, when the arm is closest to center. Sound is "in rhythm" of the LP turns.

I assume its mechanical issue but I haven't got the courage to start dismantle the player. And maybe the problem is in arm mechanics.

As a newbie, I do not know where to start dismantle the player. Thanks for any answers.

Ismo

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jan 13 2022 1:45 PM

Check the adjustments for the subchassis height.

Martin

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Ismo replied on Fri, Jan 14 2022 6:30 AM

Ok, I need to do that. Its just I have never opened the player. Need to find the "explosion" picture of it. I think I saw it here at the forum...maintenance guide or something. And then figure out where to locate the adjustment. It might be that all is clear if I just manage to open it.

Thanks for the answer.

Ismo

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jan 14 2022 6:44 AM

Take off the platter and you can see the adjustments for the leaf springs.

Martin

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Ismo replied on Sat, Jan 15 2022 5:56 PM

I located the noise source. It's the fly wheel (Part number 1601and part called "pulley complete" (number1634) touching each other. Pulley complete turns slowly and in the end of record play it just barely touches the spinning fly wheel. The parts are pretty close to each other, not much room to play. 

How to fix that is a bit of a nightmare. One option might be to try moving fly wheel 0.5mm up on its axel. Not sure is that possible. 

There is no hight adjustment for pulley complete part for what I see.

Anyway I need to get fly wheel 0.5mm higher.

Any known fixes ?

Ismo

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 16 2022 7:04 AM

Lifting the flywheel is not easy. It stands on a point in the bottom of the bearing, and the needle tracking angle would be wrong afterwards.
Much better to lower the cam. Some have a washer underneath that can be removed, or you could file a little off its stem.
- But the problem could also be a warped subplatter.

Martin

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Ismo replied on Mon, Jan 17 2022 7:16 AM

Quick solution was to remove fly wheel and try to peel off the surface underneath it. So it got a bit thinner.

I managed to do that and it got better. I did it really carefully and now there is just couple of clunking sounds in the end. But I agree that the fly wheel seems to be a bit warped. It is made of that pot metal I think. Very soft material.

Ismo

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS