Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beogram 5005 with beomaster 5000 poor(ish) sound

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Jerryege
Not Ranked
Posts 41
Bronze Member
Jerryege Posted: Tue, Jan 18 2022 2:16 PM

I've never really been happy with the sound from my BG 5005 going through a BM 5000. the CD (BEOGRAM CD 5500) sounds great while the turntable sounds a little 'thin' I haven't recapped the master as yet but if the CD sounds so great can this be discounted and should i be looking at the BG 5005 for the issue? i did have an original MMC4 with reasonable life but swapped out for a new SMMC4. no massive difference on the sound front, just wanted the life extension of a new cartridge.

Any suggestions?

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jan 18 2022 8:06 PM

It’s hard to answer this from your description. The easy answer is that there is a reason there are 5 MMC cartridge models. However, “a little thin” is not how I would describe the differences. First, I would make sure I was comparing recordings of the same performance between CD and record. You are correct that re-capping your Beomaster will not make a difference between inputs even though there is an additional phono section for the record. Then I would try and report the results more in terms of frequency range differences (bass, mids, treble diffs), stereo presentation (depth, width, imaging) and finally detail (clarity, attack, decay).  I would never classify the MMC4 in the same league as a CD given well recorded examples. However, I would characterize the difference quite differently, hence my recommendation to describe in more specific terms.. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS