Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 3000 - Right channel cuts out after playing

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

kcwvu
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
kcwvu Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2022 1:46 AM

Hi,

After searching for a long time to purchase a Beogram in good condition, I found one that played at the sellers house (only tested for a few seconds) and is in very good cosmetic condition.  I had one of these when I was much younger and have regretted getting rid of it for a long time.  I love the look and remembered it sounding very nice.  So, I just purchased a Beogram 3000, but so far, things aren't going well.

When I go to play a record, the turntable will play in stereo and sound decent, but after about 1.5 minutes, the sound from the right channel will cut out.  Sound still comes through the right speaker, but it is significantly mutes.  If I press the button and lift the needle from the record and then resume playing, it will again play in stereo (equal from both channels), but then the sound in the right channel will again cut out again, but in much less time, about 15 to 30 seconds.

Second issue is that when I turn the turntable on and start playing a record, the speed will be less than where it should be.  Turning it off and then back on again will result in the turntable playing at a normal speed.

Lastly, is there any regular maintenance that should be performed on this older turntable.

Help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Jan 19 2022 9:08 PM

I would first try switching channels with your phono cables assuming you are not using a DIN connector to confirm the issue is with the 3000. If the channels switch then the culprit is likely the muting switch which is mechanically opened and closed and frequently needs contact cleaning and adjustment. The speed issue is much more of a concern as those motors with their clutches are not easy to service. Have you played with the speed adjustment above the control pad?  Does it have the expected effect? Quite frankly, the mechanical reliability of that model was never its strong spot in my experience and motor and cam issues plagued it.  

kcwvu
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
kcwvu replied on Thu, Jan 20 2022 1:07 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick response.  I have tried switching the channels and the problem just switches from the right speaker being muted to the left speaker being muted.  Can you please provide instructions or a link to perform contact cleaning and adjustment on the muting switch?

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:40 PM

Before answering I forgot to ask which type of Beograd 3000 do you have - radial or tangential tracking? My comments a were referring to the older radial one. 

kcwvu
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
kcwvu replied on Sat, Jan 22 2022 10:20 PM

Hi,

The Beogram 3000 that I have is the older version from the early 70's (radial).

Thanks again for helping me through this, the local vintage audio repair shops in/near San Diego won't touch B&O, which surprised me.

kcwvu
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
kcwvu replied on Sat, Jan 22 2022 10:20 PM

Hi,

The Beogram 3000 that I have is the older version from the early 70's (radial).

Thanks again for helping me through this, the local vintage audio repair shops in/near San Diego won't touch B&O, which surprised me.

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Jan 23 2022 1:00 AM

I thought that might be the case from your symptoms but wanted to confirm. I've worked on too many 3000's in the 70's and 80's and even back then they were a pain so I am not surprised you can't find someone to assist now 40+years later.  I also haven't touched one since. Having said all that the service manual was very sparse as I recall and did not go into lubrication details. I am sure yours needs a good clean a re-lube.  A thread that has some useful info for your particular model is https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=44023. 

kcwvu
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
kcwvu replied on Sun, Jan 23 2022 9:35 PM

Thanks for the great link on servicing the motor.

Any chance there is some similar info out there on the muting switch?  My Google-foo hasn't been strong, I mostly find info on the more recent Beogram 3000.

Thanks again

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Jan 23 2022 11:26 PM

With the sound in cut-off mode, disconnect the cable and measure the resistance. If it is <10 ohms then your muting switch has not disengaged fully an you will need to physically adjust its contacts. If you measure the resistance >10K then you have a cartridge or cable connection problem. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS