Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to copy my beomaster5 files to a external SS drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu Posted: Wed, Jan 26 2022 2:42 AM

Hi,

I am looking for a step by step how to copy my beomaster5 music files to an external SSD for dummies.
what cables to hook up where or using a network. What software to use etc. 

It seems that B&O has given up on all of us that purchased a $10k system which is just not acceptable. In my opinion we should file a class action to get some of our hard earned dollars back. 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

The Beomaster 5 stems from a 2008 design release. In computing terms, that is a world of different to where we are now. 

Mine is in a box/loft somewhere going sticky.

There are three issues I think you face which are not simple and I don’t recall exactly the detail of the steps I undertook to achieve them but I’ll offer the best I can:-

1. Using an SSD is possible but at the time only one or two specific drives could be coaxed to work. I never had any real success

2. IIRC, I purchased a 2Tb 3.5inch HDD that was super fast. I cloned the OEM HDD using an Icybox cloner. With a bit of tidying up with the partitions I achieved extra capacity, Near SSD speed and a backup (original in the fire safe)

3. You can network the BM5 to a NAS like any other PC but this slows things down dramatically again. I used the netwo4k to transfer ripped CDs from my PC to the BM5 HDD. With some simple file folder names in explorer (I.e a folder called “Artist Name - Album Name”), I found the BeoSound 5 to be slick and responsive. 

As stated above, that was a lifetime ago. 

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Wed, Jan 26 2022 12:49 PM

Have a look:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/22109.aspx?PageIndex=1

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/14541.aspx?PageIndex=1

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/23316.aspx

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Jan 26 2022 6:15 PM

By far, the easiest way is to connect to the BeoMaster5 using a Windows computer.  This requires no additional cables or software:

1)  Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the "BeoMaster5" (in my Win11 machine, it just shows up as a "Network location" in Windows Explorer when I click on "This PC"

2) Navigate to the folder "Music" and then drag the folder "By Folder" from the BeoMaster5 to your SSD (assuming your SSD is attached to your Windows computer). 

It does can take a while.  I just ran a test on my network, and it took about 2 minutes to copy a WMA encoded album (~290MB). However, if you have a stable network, you can just drag and drop, and it runs by itself.  If you find it fails after some time, you might want to look into a file transfer program like the one 10Percent suggests.

This is assuming you just want to get the music, and don't care about getting a software clone or anything fancy.  If you want to do something fancy, dig into the links provided by TWG.

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 6:20 PM

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I have hooked up my beomaster 5 with a Ethernet cable to my router and also a laptop to my router.

however using the beoconnect download the computer does not find the Beosound/master. Should I connect the computer directly using the usb connection or is there something I am missing. 

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

cheers Huub 

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 6:32 PM

Windows or Mac?  Also, which version of the OS?

I don't remember Beoconnect working very well, or maybe it was only supported on old-ish versions of Windows. I think this is why most have migrated to working with operating system tools (like Windows explorer).  I could be wrong.  It's been a while since I've transferred files with my BS5.

Also, how would you rate your computer skills?  If I were to say, "Can you ping the BS5 from your laptop?" would you know what this means or how to do it? (no judgement, just trying to help folks tune their responses to your skill level".

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 6:48 PM

Hi, OS is windows 10.

when I go to explorer it will not see my Beomaster files.  My computer skills are at best so so. I know how to turn it on /off and look for files/ folders etc. I have never pinged for finding a device. I was hoping with all hardwire Ethernet connections that my windows 10 explorer would be able to see any connected devices but there might be a driver issues which I also do not really know how to fix. 

all though my very limited skills I am determined to resolve it and any help will be appreciated.

cheers Huub 

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 6:57 PM

Hi,

OS is windows 10. 
My skills are beginner minus. I can look for files using explorer / set up a printer etc. I have no issue being judged😊 on my lack of computer skills.

I do not know how to ping a device using my computer.  

any help is highly appreciated. It is a pity because the Beosound 5 is a cool piece of equipment but B&O dropped the ball by not really supporting the system anymore. 

cheers Huub 

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 7:25 PM

Hi,

i did Google on how to ping and see results below.

Pinging my router :

Bytes 32 time 1ms, TTL=64

Sent 4 / received 4 Lost =0

Pinging my Beomaster/Sound5

Destination host unreachable

Sent 4 / received 4 Lost =0

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 9:03 PM

The results of your ping means that your laptop can talk to your router, but it cannot talk to the BS5.

On the BS5, go into Settings, then Network Info (not exactly sure what it's called, but it something like this), and note the "Hostname" and "IP address".

If the Hostname is something other than the name you tried above, then try pinging the value found in Hostname.

If this works, then you should be able to get your laptop to talk to the BS5 using that hostname instead of "BeoMaster5".

If this doesn't work, the try pinging the IP address - use the ping command just like before, but provide the IP address instead of the Hostname.

If this works, then you should be able to connect to the BS5 similar to my instructions above, but using the IP address instead of the hostname.

If this doesn't work, check the IP address of your laptop, it should be similar to the IP address of the BS5, except for the last digit.  For example, if your laptop's IP address (you can get this by typing "ipconfig" from the command prompt) is 192.1.1.25, the BS5 should be something like 192.1.1.15 - the last number can be pretty much any number except 25 (yes, I'm simplifying).  There are exceptions to this, but if you're not on the same IP domain (the 1st few numbers of the IP address), then the router may not understand how to route messages to the BS5.  This would happen if the BS5 was previously configured with a static IP address on a different network.

If the IP addresses are meaningfully different, then change the IP address of the BS5.  I think you can do this using the service menu.  Ideally, you'd want to configure it for dynamic assignment by the router vs. specifying another static address.

You might also verify that the network cable works by swapping the cables around between the laptop and the BS5.  Can the laptop still ping the router using the BS5 cable?

If none of this works, then do you have a USB mouse (or mouse/keyboard), and does your SSD have a USB connection?  It might be easier to go this path (connect the mouse and SSD to the BS5 and go into the service menu - which allows access to the BS5's underlying windows OS) and copy the files that way vs. troubleshooting network connectivity beyond the above steps.

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:46 PM

Hi,

thanks to you I am almost there, but not quite :(

I have been able now to ping my Beosound 5 using the IP address as listed on my Beosound5. I have also been able to have the Beoconnect working but this App will not show any files on my Beomaster. 

Beomaster5 now shows up in my network. When opening this folder it tells me that the folder is empty. Could there be a firewall or partition that I need to remove somehow.

Tomorrow I will go the route with a keyboard and mouse directly to the Beomaster using the two USB connections on the back of the Beomaster.

Thanks for the continued support

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jan 30 2022 8:48 AM

I misunderstood your initial question, sorry. Thought you want to clone the entire system.

If you go for the easy USB route use an USB hub with a few ports:

Than you can use USB keyboard, mouse and an external SSD / HDD / USB-Stick to copy the music from your Beomaster 5.

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Mon, Jan 31 2022 12:42 AM

Thanks to all,

I was able to copy my complete library from the beomaster 5 to a SSD using a mouse/ Ssd drive connected to the beomaster5 through windows explorer.

the whole process was easy and took about 1 hour.

cheers Huub

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Mon, Jan 31 2022 12:42 AM

Thanks to all,

I was able to copy my complete library from the beomaster 5 to a SSD using a mouse/ Ssd drive connected to the beomaster5 through windows explorer.

the whole process was easy and took about 1 hour.

cheers Huub

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Jan 31 2022 2:49 PM

Glad to hear it all worked out.  Good luck with wherever you take your music Smile

I just want to add this in case you are not aware.  You can use the BS5/BM5 as a music server, and you can even configure it to transcode any lossless WMA files to MP3/FLAC (I forget which) since lossless WMA is no longer widely supported.  I use this listen to my music from my newer products (BS2, Eclipse).  I mention this in case you plan to buy a music server to host these recently copied files.  You already have one in the BM5.

As a Spotify user, I guess this will now be my main path for listening to Neil Young Surprise

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS