Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Crazy idea - can a pair of beosound level last compete with beolab stereo speakers?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

rossr
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
rossr Posted: Sat, Feb 5 2022 12:53 PM

I recently watched steve from sounds heavenly s video comparing a level to an old pair of stereo speakers. I’m having some problems with space and partner approval for new speakers in my living room. 

Steves video got. me thinking. the new level looks great and would fit. Does anyone have any experience of a level or a stereo pair of levels and how they would compare to beolab 4000 or 17? 

We don’t really have a spot for an a9 (which  would I love). The edge looks weird and seems like it doesn’t have an obvious place in a living room. The 18s are beautiful but too expensive. I thought about a stage but the reviews are mixed and I heard one in the shop and...I don’t know. Its a shame there is no obvious stereo speakers.

Ps I have just received my mums old beolab 4000s - they still sound  wonderful but...the early 2000s shiny black boxes have NOT made it passed the partner approval filter (and I don’t blame her). Trying to figure out a solution. 

Gaea
Not Ranked
South of Netherlands
Posts 72
Gold Member
Gaea replied on Sat, Feb 5 2022 1:11 PM

I would go for option B: a new partner...Whistle

Beosound 5 Encore, Beolab 3, Beolab 11, Beosound Balance Non GVA, H9i

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sat, Feb 5 2022 1:28 PM

BeoLab 3 in white.  

If they do not pass the approval process I would consider the answer from Gaes too 😂

Gaea
Not Ranked
South of Netherlands
Posts 72
Gold Member
Gaea replied on Sat, Feb 5 2022 2:04 PM

Ravsted:

BeoLab 3 in white.  

Beolab 3 is indeed a great option if your partner doesn't agree on option B

Beosound 5 Encore, Beolab 3, Beolab 11, Beosound Balance Non GVA, H9i

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Feb 5 2022 2:55 PM

I think the Level lacks bass.  I'm no bass head, but, to my ears, there's just something missing on the low end.  I really don't understand the people who say it is competitive to the BS2.  It's a great product, but portability does create some tradeoffs.

I have not listened to my BL4000s in a while, but I believe they are probably not quite as accurate and controlled as the Level, but provide a fuller, richer sound.

What about a stereo pair of Balances?  I've not heard them personally, but this is the direction I'm considering if I'm not satsfied with my 4000s when I set them back up.

I should add that the BL3 are a solid choice, although their styling is not everyone's cup of tea either.

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts 768
Bronze Member
Beolab 3 - white

Beolab 14.4 - white

Beolab 12.3 - alu

Beolab 8000 mk2

Beolab 17 - white or black

Beolab 20

All stunning in their own way. Just don’t ask for permission but apologies afterwards

BV Harmony 65 / Eclipse 55 / BL 50 / 19 / 18 / BS 2 all brass

BV Horizon 48 / V1 40 / BL 17 / Beoplay S3 all black

V1 / BL 3 / BS Essence MKII / Beoplay A3 all white

BS Moment / BS 3000 / BS 3200 / BL 400 all silver

Headphones / bluetooth speakers / BLC NL-ML / BLGateway

I know…B&O virus has grown on me ! 

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Sat, Feb 5 2022 6:34 PM

I agree, Stan.  Even the Beolit 20 has a richer, more full sound and, if you have the space, the Stage is far better.  Aesthetics override performance with the Level, I think.

LeMirage
Not Ranked
Posts 77
Bronze Member

Exactly the same problem here, I would have spent a lot more money at the average B&O dealer on speakers when I was single…

She actually liked the look of the Level so we started with one and later added another one. I’m no audio or hifi expert but they perform terrific as a standalone and just superb stereo paired. I was a little underwhelmed at first but fooling around with the beosonic made a HUGE difference, I have the slider at the right hand side in the clear/powerful department. 

funny enough we have some old 4000’s in use as surrounds with our BV11 in a different part of the room but they are hidden behind the (ultrathin) curtains, no way these were allowed positioned in sight…. ;) 

Maybe I will try a comparison somewhere next week but I’m a little scared to do that since for the Levels I had to fork out roughly 10 times as much as for the set of BL4000 and without any testing I’m quit sure the Levels are not gonna sound ten times better ……;) 

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 11:28 PM

I suppose it’s all relative and the bigger the drivers, the bigger the sound overall but I think the Level sounds darn impressive for its size and as for existing side by side with BS1, also portable, it kicks BS1’s booty in the low end. So… progress!

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

rossr:

Ps I have just received my mums old beolab 4000s - they still sound  wonderful but...the early 2000s shiny black boxes have NOT made it passed the partner approval filter (and I don’t blame her). Trying to figure out a solution. 

How about some wooden grills for those from Prestige Creators!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Feb 7 2022 4:28 PM

Millemissen:
How about some wooden grills for those from Prestige Creators!

Here's a YouTube where the BL4000s are "updated" with the wooden grills.  Not my cup of tea, but they definitely look different.

MAKING VINTAGE SPEAKERS MODERN - Bang & Olufsen Speakers - Beolab 4000 - YouTube

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Mon, Feb 7 2022 4:40 PM

... and the DIY alternative Wink

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/49897/350960.aspx#350960

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS