Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram CD5500 plays couple minutes and shuts OFF

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Ismo Posted: Sat, Feb 5 2022 8:18 PM

Description what happened.

First time using the CD player for a long time. No recognition of the CD. After a while, it recognised CD and played it for a minute or so then stopped and I think it went standby mode. The tray started act strangely closing by itself and trying to read CD with strange sound hearable. Ok, I just left it there and plugged it off from mains.

I bought repair kit from Beoparts, assembled the new belt and capacitors into servo pcb. Plugged player on mains and CD in. It read tracks straight away (did not happen just before I tried it before repair kit was assembled). Started playing first track. Played it couple of minutes and then stopped and probably player on stand-by mode. When play stopped there was some strange sound from loudspeakers. Tried again and same thing happened. Third try, player went into strange mode where tray was closed by itself and you could hear mechanical sound that was not a healthy sound. Could not get out of that mode but only plug mains OFF. 

Any idea what is going on there ?

Ismo

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Ismo replied on Mon, Feb 14 2022 8:24 AM

I managed to actually play one CD completely, but only when the large PCB was in open position. If I close it, CD only plays random time and stops(usually couple minutes, and it seems that eventually it goes into state where it does not start play at all). Is this happened to anyone. Could there be some wire broken from servo PCB to motor. Anyway I need to investigate this a bit more and try playing CD's with open PCB position if that really is the case.

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Open position

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Feb 14 2022 11:12 AM

Check for cracked solder joints at the connectors on the main board.
Also check for broken PCB tracks, - they are often found near the front left corner hinge.

Martin

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

I was working on this again. Opened the player, tried to play CD and after couple minutes play stopped. Repeated and same thing, so I knew the fault state is ON. Warmed up my Weller soldering equipment and soldered those connectors Martin mentioned. Did not really see any problem on those solder points before soldering. Ok, started play CD again....it kept on playing...kept on playing...all the way to the end. Victory feeling, big thanks to Martin. Servo PCB capasitor change fixed the CD reading problem and soldering those connectors the cut-off problem. Hope this helps others who have similar problems with CD 5500.

Ismo

Ismo
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Connectors on left soldered. All of them from start to end.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS