Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to add a turntable to my set up?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

whalestails
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member
whalestails Posted: Sun, Feb 6 2022 9:18 AM

I’m thinking about adding a B&O turn table to my set up but aren’t really sure where to start.

I currently have Beolab 18s/19 driven by a Beovision Harmony, with various other B&O products throughout the house.

Whilst I’d love to hard wire the turntable to the speakers I think for now I’ll need to utilise some sort of transmitter to enable wireless use of the Beolabs.

Any advise on how best to achieve this and which B&O turn tables I should be looking at would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Do I understand you correct?

You want to connect the turntable so that it can use the BL18/19 without the Harmony turning on?

In that case I can not help you - neither I reckon that as a good way to use a turntable in a B&O setup.

From your other posts I see, that you have several other newer B&O devices - so it should not be hard to get the turntable playing through the BL19/18’s.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:02 AM
As an example, this is the way I have added a BG 4002 to my setup:

BG 4002 —> Pro-Ject RIAA (tube) —> BS Moment Line-In —> Transmitter 1 —> BL 18 19 & 8000

Note: Why a TR 1 for the BS Moment? Because I’m sharing it with my BS Core that is also NL linked to the BS Moment so I can pick its sources, including the turntable.

Use case: I can play LP through the BS Moment or the Core to my Beolabs as well a to any of my other NL products across the house.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:11 AM

mbolo01:
As an example, this is the way I have added a BG 4002 to my setup:

BG 4002 —> Pro-Ject RIAA (tube) —> BS Moment Line-In —> Transmitter 1 —> BL 18 19 & 8000

or:

Beogram 6000 - Harmony Line in - BL28, BL18 & BL6000

or

as MM suggested: connect the Beogram line in to another NL device in your setup and JOIN the Harmony when playing a record. 

mbolo01:
Why a TR 1 for the BS Moment? Because I’m sharing it with my BS Core that is also NL linked to the BS Moment so I can pick its sources, including the turntable.
THat should also be possible without the Transmitter 1? Or what do I miss in your explanation?

Connect speakers wired or wireless to the Moment. Connect the BG4002 to the Moment. Start the BG4002 and JOIN the Core.

Or other way around: start a source on the Core and JOIN the Moment.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:46 AM
Carolpa:

THat should also be possible without the Transmitter 1? Or what do I miss in your explanation?

Yes, all is possible.

Reason for my setup is that I initially acquired the TR1 to connect to a non-B&O amp, then I acquired the Moment and parked the amp+TR1. Then I acquired the Core to (1) connect a Samsung TV to the optical in and (2) to be a music "backup" to the Moment that was quite unstable as I was beta testing its software. For that setup the TR1 configured as a WPL switch was very welcome.

I also have all my speakers (18,19 and 8000) WPL

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

whalestails
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Ideally I’d like to link the turn table to the Harmony as that’s the central sound centre, which then sends the audio to the BL18’s. I’m just not sure what hardware I’d need to achieve this, if it’s even possible.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Mon, Feb 7 2022 8:11 PM
You first have to know if your turntable has an integrated pre-amp or not (RIAA).

If yes you’ll need the appropriate cable to connect its line-out to the Harmony line-in as noted by Carolpa

If not you’ll need an external pre-amp like the one I’m using in my setup to place between the turntable and the Harmony with the appropriate cables.

whalestails
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Thanks mbolo01.

I don’t have the turn table yet so I’ll have to look into that. Do you know if there is a way to wirelessly link to the Harmony?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

whalestails:

Thanks mbolo01.

I don’t have the turn table yet so I’ll have to look into that. Do you know if there is a way to wirelessly link to the Harmony?

I know………this is what I (and others) do:

Get a Beoplay M3…while you still can.

Set that up in the same network as the Harmony.

Connect the record player (via a RIIA preamp, if needed) to the line-in of the M3 (this has autosense and will turn on to that input, when you start the record player).

Configure the M3 to 0/zero startup volume.

You can hide the M3, if you want.

Start vinyl playback and push ‘Join’ on the Beoremote adressed to the Harmony.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS