Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What is the best value £ for £ BeoLab speaker from the current range (from BL17 to BL28)?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Simon Weir
Not Ranked
Warrington, UK
Posts 14
Bronze Member
Simon Weir Posted: Tue, Feb 8 2022 10:54 AM

Goal to design the best ‘fantasy’ value B&O (not necessarily absolute sonic perfection) system delivering for modern use i.e. at least 5.1 surround sound for TV and Films, plus stereo for Music.

Assumptions:

1. System is centred around a Harmony

2. No constraints on room size, layout etc.

3. The design, size of unit and aesthetics are secondary, this is about delivering everyday useable system that caters for all in the household, at a price that recognises the world today and rising prices and the need to be able to live with your spending choices.

4.  No max spend, but remember the goal is to be able to justify that the extra spend does deliver monetary value over a cheaper setup.

Fantasy costs:

BL17 £3,300

BL18 £5,850

BL19 £3,500

BL20 £8,500

BL28 £10,750

BL50 £34,000

BL90 £82,500

Here are my 3 options and what I consider the best £4£ value… what are your fantasy systems and ultimate choice to be put forward at a later stage for a forum vote.

My fantasy system #1

2 x BL17 + BL19 = £10,100

My fantasy system #2

BL20 for Fronts + BL17 as Surrounds = £11,800.  No need for a separate Sub.

My fantasy system #3

2 x BL28 = £21,500.  No need for a separate Sub, and possibly for size the best speakers for their performance for everyone to live with in their homes.

My choice is system #1, the cheapest setup, however not less that half as good quality in performance than system #3.  Also what I have at home, so unsurprising my bias.

Compared to just the cost of a single set of BL28, it highlights how underrated the BL17s are, and were they more in keeping with B&O’s look they would surely have been a timeless classic.

interestingly to me is I didn’t consider BL90s or BL50s… when I have heard these in the stores, they are impressive and you feel as much as hear the music, but I cannot see how they for their current cost can be seen as best value all things considered.

interesting to read your fantasy systems and where as a Forum we rest in awarding a winner.

Present: Eclipse 55” Gen 2 with motorised wall bracket.  Plus 2 x pairs of BeoLab 17 + 1 x BeoLab 19 using WiSA to the soundcenter.

Also LG 55” C9 + BeoSound Stage in another room.  And 2 x A1 Gen1 as PC speakers.

Past: Eclipse 55 Gen 1 and before that an Avant 55” MK1.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 12:08 PM
Simon Weir:

Goal to design the best ‘fantasy’ value B&O (not necessarily absolute sonic perfection) system delivering for modern use i.e. at least 5.1 surround sound for TV and Films, plus stereo for Music.

Assumptions:

1. System is centred around a Harmony

2. No constraints on room size, layout etc.

3. The design, size of unit and aesthetics are secondary, this is about delivering everyday useable system that caters for all in the household, at a price that recognises the world today and rising prices and the need to be able to live with your spending choices.

4. No max spend, but remember the goal is to be able to justify that the extra spend does deliver monetary value over a cheaper setup.

Fantasy costs:

BL17 £3,300

BL18 £5,850

BL19 £3,500

BL20 £8,500

BL28 £10,750

BL50 £34,000

BL90 £82,500

Here are my 3 options and what I consider the best £4£ value… what are your fantasy systems and ultimate choice to be put forward at a later stage for a forum vote.

My fantasy system #1

2 x BL17 + BL19 = £10,100

My fantasy system #2

BL20 for Fronts + BL17 as Surrounds = £11,800. No need for a separate Sub.

My fantasy system #3

2 x BL28 = £21,500. No need for a separate Sub, and possibly for size the best speakers for their performance for everyone to live with in their homes.

My choice is system #1, the cheapest setup, however not less that half as good quality in performance than system #3. Also what I have at home, so unsurprising my bias.

Compared to just the cost of a single set of BL28, it highlights how underrated the BL17s are, and were they more in keeping with B&O’s look they would surely have been a timeless classic.

interestingly to me is I didn’t consider BL90s or BL50s… when I have heard these in the stores, they are impressive and you feel as much as hear the music, but I cannot see how they for their current cost can be seen as best value all things considered.

interesting to read your fantasy systems and where as a Forum we rest in awarding a winner.

Present: Eclipse 55” Gen 2 with motorised wall bracket. Plus 2 x pairs of BeoLab 17 + 1 x BeoLab 19 using WiSA to the soundcenter.

Also LG 55” C9 + BeoSound Stage in another room. And 2 x A1 Gen1 as PC speakers.

Past: Eclipse 55 Gen 1 and before that an Avant 55” MK1.

Hi Simon I would say option 3

But I would say just go with 1 pair 28 with harmony (which I have) and see whether the levels can support surround sound as rears in the future

3.1 in this set up is pretty good no sub needed

Good luck!
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 12:54 PM

Everyone will have their own needs and hence fantasy (realistic fantasy) system.

But I suspect there is a strong case for the 28s as the best bang for buck - whether thats just a pair attached to one BV, or two pairs attached.

I'd always go for one pair of 50s vs the 2 sets of 28s, but thats me - the 50s produce the weighty voluminous sound for music that I am after, more so than the 28s, and music listening is more important to me. They also have a bit more flexility of inputs, again useful for me as I use a separate music source - and with the 50s connection options, its easy to share the 50s between my BV and my separate music source.

But I suspect for the majority, looks aside, the 28s are the go to choice - 10/11k gets you a distinctive, decent looking speaker that broadly approximates the 50s, and for 1/3 of the price.

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 148
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 4:09 PM

As I do not own one of the current speaker I can not vote from experience but the BL28 might look like the most "obvious" choice. 

However, the Harmony produces a suprisingly  great sound on all levels that I was very impressed when I had to run the front left/right channels with a Beolab 3 while my BL5 waited for repair. 

So a BL17 with a Harmony could do a great job. Maybe not even a sub is needed as the Harmony could go quite deep and with the sound engine you could tweak a lot in re routing and shape the bass.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS