Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound Balance - Audio cuts off after three minutes of playback on Bluetooth

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna Posted: Thu, Feb 10 2022 4:53 AM

Hi everyone again. So I've noticed this little problem with my Balance but couldn't be bothered post about it earlier because I've been dealing with one problem after another with B&O... but whenever I play audio via Bluetooth (doesn't matter if its from my iPhone or PC) the audio will cut off after precisely 180 seconds after the track has started, and this is despite my phone showing that the track is still playing.

This only happens once after pairing and it's always the exact same issue: the first track I play always gets cut after 180 seconds and I have to pause and unpause the music on my phone in order for the audio to resume. Seriously? On another note, I've also noticed that whenever I start playing music (and this happens on both Bluetooth and AirPlay) I have to press the "Play" button twice in order for music to start playing because immediately after pressing "Play" for the first time the speaker will immediately pause the track. Both of these issues only happen on my Balance.

I'm seriously going to throw this damn speaker out of the window soon, I've already had it replaced once and it's not the only B&O product I'm having problems with this year.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their BeoSound Balance?

I think I need to draw a new forum avatar for myself and replace the BS1 in it with the Balance because this has got to be the single most broken B&O product -- scratch that, this is *THE* single most broken audio product across all brands -- I've ever had the displeasure of owning. I thought my BS1 was bad... this is on a whole different level of bad.

c-larsen
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
c-larsen replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 5:50 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with Bluetooth playback. From your description it sounds like a bug in the speaker SW. My guess is that for some reason the speaker fails to detect that your phone is playing and then after 3 minutes it enters power saving mode where the amplifiers are powered off in order to lower standby power consumption.

What phone/device are you using for playback? Does this only happen right after pairing? Could a workaround be to not re-pair your device every time? It should only be necessary to do once. Then you should be able to just connect after that.

If you can provide some more details I will see if I can reproduce it and get it fixed. 

Having to press play twice is not something I have heard about. What app are you using for playback on your phone?  

c-larsen
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
c-larsen replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 5:50 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with Bluetooth playback. From your description it sounds like a bug in the speaker SW. My guess is that for some reason the speaker fails to detect that your phone is playing and then after 3 minutes it enters power saving mode where the amplifiers are powered off in order to lower standby power consumption.

What phone/device are you using for playback? Does this only happen right after pairing? Could a workaround be to not re-pair your device every time? It should only be necessary to do once. Then you should be able to just connect after that.

If you can provide some more details I will see if I can reproduce it and get it fixed. 

Having to press play twice is not something I have heard about. What app are you using for playback on your phone?  

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 6:10 AM

Hi! The issue happens every time when I re-establish Bluetooth connection to the speaker (I'm not doing a full re-pair each time, haha).

I usually disconnect the speaker from my phone/PC when I'm not using it, but once I connect back to the speaker the first track I play gets muted after precisely 180 seconds. It only happens once as long as I don't disconnect/reconnect Bluetooth, after that I can play multiple entire albums for the rest of the day without further incident, but if I disconnect from the speaker and reconnect to it then the issue will happen again to the first track I play.

It's definitely not an issue with the Bluetooth connection, because according to my phone/PC the music is still playing, I just don't hear anything from the speaker after 180 seconds. It can be fixed simply by pausing/un-pausing playback on my phone. This specific issue happens on all apps I use to play music, including the built-in Music app on my iPhone, and it also happens when playing from my PC.

With regards to the issue I'm having where I have to press play twice, this only happens on my iPhone, and also across all apps. It doesn't happen on my Windows 10 PC though, strangely enough. But it also only happens on my Balance.

After having thought about this a little, could the speaker not having internet access be an issue?

I know my Balance is on the latest software version because I originally set it up on a Wi-Fi network with full internet access, but I've since moved it over to my isolated Wi-Fi network where it has zero internet access and now the B&O app says it can't detect the current software version of my Balance. And I remember when setting up my Balance for the second time it took roughly three minutes for the software update to time out before I could set the speaker up without an internet connection.

I somehow suspect that the speaker is still trying to connect to the internet and that's somehow interrupting playback on newly established Bluetooth connections.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 6:15 AM

Hi Anna, it sounds to me like a bug, but a few questions out of curiosity.

- same issue when connected to WLAN?

- if so, how about wired by Ethernet cable?

- B&O would also ask if it has been since the start or how long you’ve had it :).

- tried to connect to it via Bluetooth from another device like a tablet or another phone?

I use my Balances only wirelessly so I’ve never needed it but I will give it a try with BT as soon as I get some free time and alone time.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 6:16 AM

Csaba:

Hi Anna, it sounds to me like a bug, but a few questions out of curiosity.

- same issue when connected to WLAN?

- if so, how about wired by Ethernet cable?

- B&O would also ask if it has been since the start or how long you’ve had it :).

- tried to connect to it via Bluetooth from another device like a tablet or another phone?

I use my Balances only wirelessly so I’ve never needed it but I will give it a try with BT as soon as I get some free time and alone time.

Ok, I seem to have been slow and didn’t refresh my screen :).

c-larsen
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
c-larsen replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 7:06 AM

Please check that you are on the latest SW (1.8.10009.11619)

It could potentially be an issue with not being on Wi-Fi, however I doubt it. It should not require internet access to use it for bluetooth playback. Is your device a GVA version or is it without Google Assistant?

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 8:58 AM

Without GVA. It was updated to that version before I disconnected it and factory reset it. After that I set it up on my isolated wireless network. It is connected via Wi-Fi (that’s how I use AirPlay), just that this network doesn’t have a connection to the greater internet. It’s strictly a private network with no NAT to the outside. If I try and check the version now it says it can’t detect the version because of lack of internet access, which in of itself is bizarre.

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 1:02 PM

Just a quick update: I quickly created a route between my Balance and the rest of the internet, which allowed me to check the software version (why the Balance needs network access just to check its own internal software version is rather curious (it just shows as "Version 0.0.0" otherwise)) and can confirm that it's already on 1.8.10009.11619. This specific issue should be pretty easy for you to reproduce.

Anyhow, after I did this I removed the route and tried to play some stuff via Bluetooth and funnily enough I don't seem to be getting the same issue anymore. I still have to tap play twice from my iPhone to start any music playback, but so far at least the speaker doesn't seem to go into mute after 180 seconds when I start playing music after connecting to it.

Whether or not this is related to me allowing the Balance access to the internet briefly I have no idea, but I'll try again when I wake up the next day after the speaker has been idle for a bit. I noticed that this issue is more prevalent when I'm newly connected to the speaker after I have been disconnected from it for some time (so if I disconnect and immediately reconnect I don't get the same 180 second mute issue).

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 5:12 PM

It really sounds like there some kind of "phone home" being attempted, and when the "call to home" fails the speaker stops.  If it were a generalized bug, then it seems like others would have reported it already.  The fact you're running on a private network probably makes you quite unique.

Wild speculation follows:  It could be some kind of license registration logic that B&O uses to inventory active devices (possibly for royalty calculations).  For whatever reason, this wasn't completed successfully during your initial setup when it did have full internet access.  The fact that it continues to work after the initial pause, to me, means that it's not really supposed to work this way, but is something that escaped testing because internet access was probably assumed.  If it was coded to require internet access, I would think it would fail, not just a pause.  If it continues to work, then I guess you can assume the "registration" completed and you will not be bothered unless you do a factory reset or a software upgrade messes things up.

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member
laseralex replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 5:31 PM

Stan:
It really sounds like there some kind of "phone home" being attempted, and when the "call to home" fails the speaker stops. 

Last month I had a weird experience where one of my two Beosound Moments would play 3 minutes of Deezer and then turn itself off.  The other Moment acted normally.   It didn't matter whether I started the song with the moment or with my phone.  I could get around it by starting music in another room and using the join function.

I honestly don't know what solved it, but it lasted a few days.  I might have rebooted the network or something.

Anyway, I agree that the device is probably trying to "phone home" and shuts down if it can't get through for some reason.  That seems very odd.

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 8:59 PM

In my experience, playback issues with Deezer have to do with account login issues.  I ran into this a couple years ago.  I don't remember the exact behavior, but my solution after many fruitless interactions with Deezer support and internet forum searches was to cancel my subscription.  I missed it after a while and re-subscribed so you got lucky in that you only had problems for a few days.

Gaea
Not Ranked
South of Netherlands
Posts 72
Gold Member
Gaea replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 9:32 PM

I made a bluetooth connection with my BS Balance and played a song, but it did not pause after 3 minutes.

The wired ethernet connection remained intact btw.

Beosound 5 Encore, Beolab 3, Beolab 11, Beosound Balance Non GVA, H9i

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 3:01 AM

Another update: I let my speaker rest a bit with Bluetooth disconnected and after reconnecting to it and playing another track it once again muted after 180 seconds (this is with the speaker firewalled with no internet access). I did a few more tests prior and it seems so far that this issue is specific to when the following conditions are met:

(A) The speaker is connected to a wireless network with a valid IP address, gateway, and DNS servers, and;

(B) The speaker is thus able to communicate with other devices on the same network (thus features like AirPlay work fine), and;

(C) The speaker is unable to connect to B&O's services for whatever reason.

In my current test config I moved my speaker back to my main network with internet access to facilitate easier testing, but the speaker has been firewalled (nftables "ip saddr x.x.x.x drop") on my gateway.

On this configuration music playback mutes after precisely 180 seconds of the first track after connecting to it via Bluetooth.

If I remove the nftables drop -- thus allowing the speaker full access to the internet -- the issue seems to disappear. We can thus conclude that the speaker is throwing a fit and stopping music playback after 180 seconds if it cannot phone home to do whatever it is programmed to do.

c-larsen: I'd appreciate it if you could try and get a Balance set up in a similar environment to attempt to reproduce the issue. In my exact situation the speaker was firewalled right from the beginning (i.e. no internet access during setup) and I had to wait some time for the initial software update check to time out during the first time setup, but it did eventually let me complete the first time setup of the speaker.

Thank you for participating in this thread as well, much appreciated! Cheers!

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 3:16 AM

Oh one more thing: the speaker now once again shows that its software version is "0.0.0" (after it being firewalled again) despite it originally showing "1.8.10009.11619" back when it had internet access. I didn't reboot the speaker at any point. I'm really leaning towards some kind of phone home that's causing this issue; it could either be a process crash or a timeout that's causing the the speaker to mute.

Another thing I've noticed is that when this issue happens, the exact second the speaker is muted all of the lights on top of the speaker turn off. The Bluetooth connection is retained though, so when I tap "pause" and "play" on my iPhone audio immediately resumes.

Again, appreciate it if this could be looked into. Thanks a lot!

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 3:21 AM

Oh also: the issue that I have where I have to press "Play" twice seems to be related to all this. When my speaker had internet access music would start playing the first time I press "Play." Without internet access the speaker pauses the track immediately after the first time I press "Play" thus necessitating me having to press "Play" twice to start an album.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 4:35 AM

Anna, good job so far troubleshooting!

I do not intend to divert the conversation but I’m also starting to wonder what the Balance or any other (Mozart) speaker does or shares with B&O and in what way it depends on the mothership in order to work as it should.

Is there basically a server + client relationship where if B&O one day lays off the service on their end, basic functionality will cease to work? I would think no and that it simply would not get any more updates.

If it has to connect to the internet in order to tell which software version it is running on, I assume it’d fetch it from somewhere, so to me it would make sense if it connected back home to whatever server it is getting a response from. But does it really need to do this rather than just check itself locally and inform the version in the app without having to go through a server. I’d still assume informing the app about the firmware version requires any connection incl. Bluetooth only for the sake of connectivity between the speaker and your phone but nothing else.

I never really thought about it when I was in contact with B&O Support the other day but they also hinted that they were able to pull logs from my Balances even when they were disconnected from the internet. So the speaker must upload its logs either at certain intervals (e.g. daily) or perhaps more often like every hour. What if it stopped being able to send its logs for whatever reason? Will it keep trying to connect and stop playing? I wouldn’t expect it to.

Of course a no-brainer is software updates, the speaker pulls new versions from a server. If I don’t get any more updates in the future, it is pretty clear to me the speaker would still be as functional as it was with the latest installed version.

So I’m really curious to know what dependencies it has towards B&O, for what purpose and what implications it could have on the speaker if the cord was cut. There are very likely some differences on this front between the Google Assistant-enabled and non-GA version but I am only curious about the B&O side. Mine are at least without GA. Google probably makes things much more complicated.

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Sun, Feb 13 2022 3:27 AM

Csaba:
but I’m also starting to wonder what the Balance or any other (Mozart) speaker does or shares with B&O and in what way it depends on the mothership in order to work as it should. (...) I never really thought about it when I was in contact with B&O Support the other day but they also hinted that they were able to pull logs from my Balances even when they were disconnected from the internet.

This likely happens through the B&O App. Even if the speaker doesn't have a direct connection to the internet, the B&O App has under normal conditions full access to both the speaker and the internet and is thus able to act as a proxy.

I say "normal" because on iOS at least you can disable an apps ability to access your local network, which I do.

None of this would surprise me the slightest given that B&O has -- in my opinion -- a trash track record when it comes to respecting the privacy of its users. One simple case in point: the BeoSound 1 & 2 both give users the ability (*ahem*) to opt out of anonymous data usage sharing with B&O (you can access this either via the Web UI of the speaker or through the "Configure" menu in the B&O App of said speaker). B&O however does not honor this setting and even if you "Decline" it, it will revert back to as if you have accepted it after a couple of days.

I'm quite OCD when it comes to verifying the settings of all my products (and I remember them), and after I configure both my BeoSound 1 & 2 and declined the sharing of usage data within about two days when I go back to verify the configuration of my speaker it conveniently says that I have accepted them on both my BeoSound 1 & 2.

And people wonder why I have my speakers completely isolated from the internet. On the Balance you aren't even asked if you wish to share usage data with B&O, which is quite disgusting given the price we pay for their products.

All this said if this little issue with my Balance isn't solved sooner rather than later I'll say goodbye to the brand for good...

...and I'm likely one of the younger customers here :)

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Sun, Feb 13 2022 3:33 AM

BeoAnna:
I did a few more tests prior and it seems so far that this issue is specific to when the following conditions are met:

(A) The speaker is connected to a wireless network with a valid IP address, gateway, and DNS servers, and;

(B) The speaker is thus able to communicate with other devices on the same network (thus features like AirPlay work fine), and;

(C) The speaker is unable to connect to B&O's services for whatever reason.

Another update: there seems to be another condition which is required to trigger this issue; the first track played needs to be longer than 180 seconds. I decided to do a little more troubleshooting over the weekend and I was running into a weird quirk where I somehow wasn't able to trigger the "180 second mute" in a predictable manner. I eventually realized that I never had this issue on a specific album I own, and I saw that the starting track of said album is only about a minute long. So a track change within the 180 second interval seems to prevent the mute issue from triggering. I now only test with one album where the starting track is about 10 minutes long and am now able to trigger the "180 second mute" predictably.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Sun, Feb 13 2022 10:35 AM

What part of privacy sharing are you actually concerned about?

Where I live I have near to nothing to worry about and I have nothing to hide. When offered a choice I still try to only accept required settings and share as little I can, but my life would have a really bad quality if I started to watch all my devices and all my clicks. Same as covid. I have to be able to live my life without thinking what infection might each and every person I pass at all times.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS