Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram Rx 5773 No Sound

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

jagilbert
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jagilbert Posted: Mon, Feb 14 2022 11:23 AM

I just brought home a used Beogram Rx that seemed too good of a price not to gamble on especially considering the MMC2 cart!. The unit is very clean and appears to have been well cared for. It turns on, motor spins, tone arm lowers onto a record, but there is no sound to the speakers. I read a few threads with similar issues but different models where folks suggested things like tone arm wiring, RCA plugs, or the internal mute switch.

I removed the cartridge and get continuity to either RCA plug from any of the 4 cartridge terminals. To the left channel all 4 terminals measure about 12 Ohms. To the right channel all 4 terminals measure about 8 Ohms. If I measure between the RCA plugs I get about 16 Ohms.

I also notices that when attempting to play a record, I could get a pop through to the speakers when the tone arm raised if I push the pause button. But that was the only time I ever heard sound to the speakers. I read where the mute switch engaged depending on the tone arm position, so I attempted to get my measurements to change by manipulating the tone arm side to side and up/down in various positions. The measurements never changed.

Does this sound like a common issue or are there any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks!

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Feb 14 2022 9:18 PM

I’m not sure I understand your testing method. With the tonearm in rest position you should measure between the pin and shield of each RCA jack and see 0 ohms resistance. Then perform the same test with the arm lowered over a stationary record or carefully moved off the edge manually. That test should read 800x1000 ohms from each. If it is still reading 0 then you have a mute switch issue. If it is reading high >100K or open it is the cartridge that’s bad. 

jagilbert
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jagilbert replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 2:30 AM

OK…it’s the cart :( I took it off and measured it directly - no continuity anywhere. I gambled because it had the mmc2 and I lost, both channels are open. I’ve never heard one of these tables and have a hard time believing it’s worth the $400-600 cost to have the cart rebuilt. 

Other options on getting a cartridge other than the obvious ones (eBay, Craigslist, marketplace)?

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 8:07 PM

The least expensive new option I know of is to get an SMMC4 for $200.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS