Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 9000 - how to record?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 44
Gold Member
Dunderhonning Posted: Tue, Feb 15 2022 7:08 PM

Hi, 

Probably the stupidest question by a long shot, but no matter what I try I fail to record with my newly aquired Beocord 9000. I've read and reread the manual a bunch of times but to no avail.  

The basics: 
The Beocord is connected via DIN-cable to tape on a Beomaster 5500. Recording works with a Beocord 5500 connected to it. 
MPX is out, the selector on the bottom is positioned at LINE. 

Play works splendidly, as far as I can tell the autocal works as it should as well. Allegedly it has been serviced by Tim Jarman, but I've got no way to verify that. 
The seller claims he tested and verified every function, including recording, and I've got no reason to distrust him. 

What I do: 

Beomaster 5500 is switched to the source with music playing. 
I load a tape, press autocal and wait for it to do it's thing. 

I get no read out or movement on the PPM (I believe it's called) which is supposed to show the recording level. 

So naturally when I press record once more it starts recording, but since it doesn't register any signal no sound is recorded. 

My brain is slightly fried after struggling with this for a couple of hours, so I'm sure this isn't the best explanation or description. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 7:43 PM

The BC9000 user manual doesn't quite make it clear enough to tell owner's to check the switch on the bottom of the BC9000 cabinet.
There is a slide switch underneath with two positions - DIN and Line.

Have you tried both of those positions and checked the results?

-sonavor

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 44
Gold Member

Yes, it's positioned at Line. Changing the position doesn't give me any readings on the level meters. 
Though for all I know it might be worth mentioning that switching between them gives me a tiny blip on the lovest level reading, a quick flash at the far left of the meter that's marked "20." 

The level meters work like a charm on playback, so it's not just a case of faulty leds or something to that effect. 

I have tried using both the Beogram and apple airport as source, that doesn't make a difference either. 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 8:17 PM

Are you confident that the cable for the Beocord and Beomaster is a good cable?  Also that it is one designed for Tape, not CD or Phono.

No setting of the L & R record volume sliders make a difference?

-sonavor

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 44
Gold Member

Well, no, not really. As it is in fact the cable that connected the Beogram CD5500 to the Beomaster 5500 that I'm using. I was labouring under the illusion that 7 pin DIN is 7 pin DIN and that it should be ok since play worked. It works as it should connected to the CD5500, but if there's a difference to them then that doesn't mean a thing. 

I'll see if I have another spare in the house and give that a shot, it's certainly worth a try. 

Fingers crossed that might do the trick. 

Cheers! 

Robert

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 44
Gold Member

Tried with a different (though old) 7 pin din cable, the level meters are still completely blank whilst attempting to record. I'll have to sleep on this and hope that clears my head because right now I'm fairly certain something got shaken loose during transport from the UK to Norway and it needs someone with the proper skills and equipment to look at it. 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 10:16 PM

But the cable is a B&O Tape type cable, right?
Because a B&O Phono cable (i.e. for a Beogram 8002) is also a 7-pin DIN cable but it will not work for a Beocord 9000.
All 7 pins will be present in the cable but it won't have the wiring for the tape recording channels.

Dunderhonning
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
Posts 44
Gold Member

Ah, when you put it that way .. I'm positive one of the cables is in fact a phono cable, as I pilfered it off the Beogram 8002 in my other system. And for all I know the other is a Beogram type cable as well.
So, sonavor for the win! And I'm off to sounds heavenly to get sorted. 

Thanks! 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS