Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 7000 lamp

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan Posted: Mon, Mar 19 2012 2:14 PM

Hi!
I recently got hold of a BG 7000, which has replaced my BG 4500, to complete my Beosystem 7000 (still missing the BL7000, but that's low priority right now). Yay! :-)
I gave it a good clean and lube and it runs beautifully. The only problem is that the lamp inside is on constantly. It turns on when I plug the mains and stays on.
Anyone have a clue as to what's causing this nuisance?
Thanks!

/  Johan 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Johan:

Hi!
I recently got hold of a BG 7000, which has replaced my BG 4500, to complete my Beosystem 7000 (still missing the BL7000, but that's low priority right now). Yay! :-)
I gave it a good clean and lube and it runs beautifully. The only problem is that the lamp inside is on constantly. It turns on when I plug the mains and stays on.
Anyone have a clue as to what's causing this nuisance?
Thanks!

/  Johan 

In my BG 5000, the lid lamp is operated by micro switch 10S1, check that one maybe its "hanging" or not working

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:04 PM

In the tangential Beograms of this family, the lamp control is unfortunately electronic, so it is probably not going to be that simple unless the lamp holder or the wiring is somehow short circuiting to ground..

There's one transistor that controls the low side of the lamp (BC337, TR3 in the service manual) and it could be shorted as well.

--mika

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:08 PM

Yeah, I had trouble finding that switch in the manual.. :-)
I guess I'll have to get my hands dirty. Just figured I'd ask first.
Thanks, both of you!
/  Johan 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

tournedos:
There's one transistor that controls the low side of the lamp (BC337, TR3 in the service manual) and it could be shorted as well.

After attaching my reading glasses I see that too, in BG 5000 TR1, but will muting work if TR3 is shorted ??

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:36 PM

Søren Mexico:

After attaching my reading glasses I see that too, in BG 5000 TR1, but will muting work if TR3 is shorted ??

In the schematics for the BG 7000 there is one TR3 (BC337) just below the lamp, which I suppose is the one I'm interested in. I can't see how that is involved in muting? Or were you talking about the BG 5000?
/  Johan 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Johan:

Søren Mexico:

In the schematics for the BG 7000 there is one TR3 (BC337) just below the lamp, which I suppose is the one I'm interested in. I can't see how that is involved in muting? Or were you talking about the BG 5000?
/  Johan 

BG 5000, The TR1 collector is connected to the mute circuit.

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 9:38 PM

tournedos:

In the tangential Beograms of this family, the lamp control is unfortunately electronic, so it is probably not going to be that simple unless the lamp holder or the wiring is somehow short circuiting to ground..

I finally got around to replacing that transistor, and indeed that fixed it! It seems kind of obvious now in hindsight, but it wasn't obvious for me before you pointed me there.
You da man, Mika. Thanks a lot!
/  Johan 

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 10:05 PM

That's good to hear!

I guess the transistor is a bit lightweight type for that duty.

--mika

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 10:09 PM

tournedos:

That's good to hear!

I guess the transistor is a bit lightweight type for that duty.

You think? How much current flows through there? I never measued..

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 10:25 PM

OK, maybe not after all Big Smile I just checked and Ic for BC337 is given as 800 mA max. The lamp doesn't seem to be speficified in the service manual (other than "12V") but I don't think it can be more than 100 mA or so.

The transistor should have no problems as long as it is driven into saturation, and it should be with that 1k8 base resistor. Perhaps it was just an unlucky individual Wink

--mika

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 10:35 PM

Yeah, that's why I asked. :-)
Anyway, thanks for helping out!
/  Johan 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS