Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Olive One

rated by 0 users
This post has 64 Replies | 1 Follower

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Jun 20 2014 8:49 AM

The support is suddenly very impressive. Queries submitted get intelligent replies within 5 minutes!

Biggest draw back to date: the glass screen, like an iPad, tends to get very fingerprinted.

Graham

Iceman10245
Top 500 Contributor
Berlin - Germany Nova Santa Ponsa-Islas Baleares
Posts 186
Bronze Member

I have an olive One. She is good

BeoVision 7-40 HD-Modul, BeoViision 11-40, BeoVision 8 32" white + Floor Stand, 2x Apple TV 4 mit Kodi, DVD2, HDR2, BeoSound 9000 MKIII White Edition, 2x BeoSound Moment + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound Stage, BeoSound Core, BeoSound 35 brass,  BeoSound 1 MKII + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound 3, BeoSound 6, BeoSound 3200, BeoSound Essence ,  BeoPlay A9 Nordic Sky twilight, BeoPlay A8 MKII white + Floor Stand, BeoPlay A2 grey, 2x BeoPlay A3 white/bright blue, BeoPlay A1, 2x BeoPlay S3 white,   Beolit 12 (White Edition), Beogram TX2, BeoLab 5, BeoLab 3, BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 8000 MKII, Beolab 11, 2x BeoLab 3500, 4x LC2, 4x Beo4 - MK1-3, BeoRemonte One BT, 2x BeoRemonte Halo, Audio Terminal, Beolink 1000, BeoLink 7000, 2x EarSet A8, 3x A9 Keyring, EarSet 2, Form2, BeoPlay H6, 3x BeoTime, Beowatch, 2x Lightmanager Pro+ B&o Version, 4x BeoCom5, Beoline2, 3x Speakerphone, BeoTalk 1200, 5x Cabinets, MLGW, BLGW, 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Iceman10245:

I have an olive One. She is good

Looking forward to more details about 'her' - would be very interesting - please.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Jun 20 2014 3:19 PM

I don't know whether I am comparing like with like, but the Olive One seems to do everything that the Beosound 5 does at about 7% of the price. 

Has anyone got both to make a comparison? The Olive One also has amplifiers for driving passive speakers as well as a digital output.

Graham

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Ahhhhh, but does it have an unfathomable user interface?

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:24 AM

Chris Townsend:

Interesting thought

Perhaps B&O is like abstract art ... requiring much discussion to understand the finer points of subtle nuances 

BeoNut since '75

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:17 AM

elephant:

Chris Townsend:

Interesting thought

Perhaps B&O is like abstract art ... requiring much discussion to understand the finer points of subtle nuances 

I'm not too good at understanding the logic of some modern equipment. The Olive has the same sort of spin wheel display as the BS5 but operated by screen touch. You can have, for example, all network radio stations in a single column, or have additional columns showing country and genre. However, if you use the search facility and type in a station name, all columns show 'Nothing Found' unless you search with only the single station column open on its own. Then the search facility works. There's nothing logical about that; logically the search facility should work whatever the display is showing, or maybe the search window should only open when the station column is opened without the country and genre columns.

Olive seem to have a constant software updating approach.... a bit like B&O on the BV11 etc., so these illogical foibles may disappear over time.

I am probably going to set up the Olive with its own Beovoxes. I haven't yet got around to linking it to all the other music wi fi connected devices, nor have I tried controlling with it's Android mobile phone app. 

The website still shows the 1TB Olive One at a current $599 less $25 via a voucher, but the delivery time is unclear. Seems that those of us who ordered via the original crowd funding got around $150 off, but $ 599 would still seem to be a bargain price assuming that the Olive proves reliable. I came very close to demanding a refund with the delays, but I am glad I held out in the end. 

Graham

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:34 AM

vikinger:

...assuming that the Olive proves reliable...

I for sure hope so! In case of failure how do you recapture your precious music files from the disk. Is the operating system Linux based?

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:51 AM

Chris:

vikinger:

...assuming that the Olive proves reliable...

I for sure hope so! In case of failure how do you recapture your precious music files from the disk. Is the operating system Linux based?

I believe it is Linux based. In my case the music will already exist elsewhere as a download, or will exist as a CD, so disk failure of the Olive One would not be a total catastrophe. Back-up via USB seems built-in. I am going to explore whether it can interface with my Brennan CD ripper/ library.

Graham

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

vikinger:
 I am going to explore whether it can interface with my Brennan CD ripper/ library.

That will be difficult because the Brennan thingy has no network connection - it's a standalone solution.

MM

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:11 AM

Millemissen:

vikinger:
 I am going to explore whether it can interface with my Brennan CD ripper/ library.

That will be difficult because the Brennan thingy has no network connection - it's a standalone solution.

MM

Yes, a cable might be involved. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

As far as I know the Brennan, you would have to backup the library to an external hard drive?

I don't know if you could connect that via usb directly to the Olive One. Or if the usb connection is only for backing up of the internal hd of the O.O.

Otherweise you would have to let a DLNA server work on your (Brennan) files in order to see (and play) then through the O.O.

The Brennan seems nice device - but I would rather go for some kind of Vortexbox solution (which already has the DLNA server built in).

Looking forward to hear about you experiences (netradio/music services...) with the Olive.

MM

Iceman10245
Top 500 Contributor
Berlin - Germany Nova Santa Ponsa-Islas Baleares
Posts 186
Bronze Member

Olive One: Mine is bad in English I write with Translater. With the olive One let themselves play fast the music on the internal hard disk on the network. I have approx. 32000 titles on it - the same music collection like on my BS5. The choice goes very fast. Moreover, one can also access the NAS. Simply select the spring. An admission function should still come to be able to take up broadcastings. Perfectly the ext. is also you is as built up as the software in the player. Almost weekly there come updates. Different linguistic settings still come. I will take the player with to Spain and connect there to my Beoplay A9. Then I can report. A good device for little money.

BeoVision 7-40 HD-Modul, BeoViision 11-40, BeoVision 8 32" white + Floor Stand, 2x Apple TV 4 mit Kodi, DVD2, HDR2, BeoSound 9000 MKIII White Edition, 2x BeoSound Moment + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound Stage, BeoSound Core, BeoSound 35 brass,  BeoSound 1 MKII + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound 3, BeoSound 6, BeoSound 3200, BeoSound Essence ,  BeoPlay A9 Nordic Sky twilight, BeoPlay A8 MKII white + Floor Stand, BeoPlay A2 grey, 2x BeoPlay A3 white/bright blue, BeoPlay A1, 2x BeoPlay S3 white,   Beolit 12 (White Edition), Beogram TX2, BeoLab 5, BeoLab 3, BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 8000 MKII, Beolab 11, 2x BeoLab 3500, 4x LC2, 4x Beo4 - MK1-3, BeoRemonte One BT, 2x BeoRemonte Halo, Audio Terminal, Beolink 1000, BeoLink 7000, 2x EarSet A8, 3x A9 Keyring, EarSet 2, Form2, BeoPlay H6, 3x BeoTime, Beowatch, 2x Lightmanager Pro+ B&o Version, 4x BeoCom5, Beoline2, 3x Speakerphone, BeoTalk 1200, 5x Cabinets, MLGW, BLGW, 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 10:07 AM

Olive One is now playing through my Beomaster 2000 (the early version) and series 1 S45 speakers.

Unbelievable quality. Mike Garson Trio Blues, WAV lossless 176kHz/24 bit. This is definitely the way to bring life back to a vintage B&O system!

Volume control (circular touch) can be a bit erratic... In some respects control is easier via the Olive One app on the Lumigon.

Some users have reported glitches like albums not appearing in the correct track order after transfer. I haven't yet got beyond using the high quality internet radio streams and using the pre- loaded music samples.

Graham

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 5:16 PM

well done Graham for crowd sourcing, I've done a few and it becomes addictive (like B&O).

when you have a moment upload some pics as I'm intrigued with this bit of kit.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 9:21 PM

Mark:

well done Graham for crowd sourcing, I've done a few and it becomes addictive (like B&O).

when you have a moment upload some pics as I'm intrigued with this bit of kit.

Pictures are on previous pages. How many do you want? 

I'll add some of the final installation once it is sorted-out.

I have to confess that I hadn't realised that I would really hear the difference with lossless files.... and I hadn't really appreciated how really very very good those S45 speakers are.... Incredible bass from a bookshelf type speaker, and even better with this source (via the Beomaster).

Oh, and bad news. The VAT and Import Duty invoice just arrived from those efficient b*stards at Fedex.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 10:58 AM

Just had a one-off offer from Olive to buy another unit at 50% off (offer expired Monday). The offer was associated with the software having been upgraded for multi-room playing. What was off-putting regarding the offer is that the full price has been hiked a bit, so even with 50% off it wasn't much cheaper than the original crowd-funded price. 

Having said all that, I guess I am just a bit of a cheapskate. With transport and taxes it's £400 ish for 1TB, cover art display, outputs for passive and active speakers.....How does that compare with the Moment? It probably has 90% of the functionality, and I personally think it looks a lot better.

Graham

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 8:16 PM

Its a bit like like comparing apples to oranges, is it not?

The Moment is indeed beautiful but misses some of the splendid specifications (I mean the Burr-Brown PCM5142, Digital out ) of the Olive. Otherwise the Moment integrates perfectly in a B&O surrounding. To me the Olive is a glorified Sonos, bringing you perfect sound for a fraction of what you pay for B&O.

But that's a personal opinion, Chris

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:45 PM

Chris:

The Moment is indeed beautiful but misses some of the splendid specifications (I mean the Burr-Brown PCM5142, Digital out ) of the Olive. Otherwise the Moment integrates perfectly in a B&O surrounding. To me the Olive is a glorified Sonos, bringing you perfect sound for a fraction of what you pay for B&O.

Chris, I can't really disagree! The Moment would probably integrate very well with my BV11 and any additional active speakers I might buy. But I tend to play music through my vintage BS2000 and mk 1 S45's. The Olive is perfect for connecting to the tape input and effectively upgrading the whole system.

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Feb 13 2015 8:27 PM

Chris:

Do you even know what DACs the Moment uses? Differences between competent DAC designs are mainly illusory in my experiences, though one can certainly recognize certain chipsets as being technically well designed, how much of that is actually audible is questionable. Your mileage may vary of course, but it was doing level matched tests of a number of different DACs, of a variety of different types (1 bit, 16 bit, amount of oversampling, different analog output design topology - op amp vs. discrete components, etc.) that disabused me of a lot of what I thought I "knew" about how these things sound.

I can agree that having an S/PDIF out would have been nice though, if you had BL5s or if you wanted to use whatever high end(ish) DAC you wanted.

I have to say, the more I hear of the Moment, the more I am attracted and interested.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 7:33 PM

Old thread, but after a year of no website updates Olive have suddenly announced the transfer of Olive One manufacturing from Taiwan to Germany.

The price has leapt from that original $399 to €1499!

Graham

http://www.myoliveone.com/pages/shop

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 8:44 PM

vikinger:

Old thread, but after a year of no website updates Olive have suddenly announced the transfer of Olive One manufacturing from Taiwan to Germany.

I expect it to be at least that much better now that the components will be soldered by Western craftsmen...

--mika

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Jan 20 2017 11:27 AM

tournedos:

vikinger:

I expect it to be at least that much better now that the components will be soldered by Western craftsmen...

Laughing

What will be really interesting is whether the new 'expensive' price is seen as somehow making the product more desireable. The product now has the advantage of being made in Germany, maybe giving the product more appeal if the comments elsewhere about B&O and Denmark vs China are to be believed.

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jan 20 2017 2:43 PM

Chances are it'll be soldered by the exact same kind of wave soldering machines no matter where it's made. Very little stuff is designed to be hand soldered, it raises the price significantly and reduces the reliability and makes for more defects. Same for insertion of the components, machine done unless there's really some overwhelming need to have something placed where a machine can't insert the component. In my career that sometimes happened, especially for signal lines if they needed to be away or oriented in a certain way from other components to avoid crosstalk or noise, but the hair pulling that went on to try and find a way to machine insert them even then was amazing, and this was for military gear where price was definitely not as much of a driving factor.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

vikinger:

Graham

http://www.myoliveone.com/pages/shop

Maybe the expect that the audiophiles will buy into the product, now that it has become more expensive ;-)

MM

Page 2 of 2 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS