Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLink PC2 questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy Posted: Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:29 AM

I just got hold of a PC2 and currently have it set up 'on test' in the study as a stand-alone with a Passive and CX50s.  (Potentially to replace previous MCL2AV set-up)

The VX sensor works very well to allow remote control.  (And the little adaptor lead at the front allows me to use the VX sensor with newer ML devices without removing the 3.5 jack plug).

Two questions:

• Is there a workaround to get BeoPlayer to support FLAC music files?
  • Is it possible for the PHOTO selection to access folders other than the standard windows 'My Pictures'?

Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere in a thread!

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:53 PM

Hi Guy,

I also just got a BeoLink PC2 EU type 1670

but I do not have the Installation-CD,.

Do you know where I could get or download one, I already searched the offical B&O Site, but I couldn't find the CD. Perhaps I wasn't searching for the right thing.

Could you gide me through this jungle?

sincerly

gerard

Edit: I want to use it to connect a BeoLab 2000 to my PC

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 7:36 AM

Here's the link - it's the BeoPort software you need and it is easy to download - follow the instructions carefully and DO NOT connect the PC2 to the computer until instructed to on the screen.  The software also checks the firmware status of the PC2 and updates appropriately.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en-GB/customer-service/product-support/accessories/digital-media/beoport

You will of course be connecting the BL2000 by MasterLink, hence you will have to play around with the option settings on the PC2 (and maybe the BL2000) in order to get it to work as you want.  Please ask any further questions once it is all connected.  Good luck!

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, May 1 2013 6:30 PM
Thank you Guy,

I will give it a try this evening

gerard
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, May 3 2013 6:40 PM

Hi Guy

I need your help because I can't get it to run.

What I have : BeoLink PC2 Type 1670, VISTA 32

What I did: Installed BeoPort vers. 5.04.00.0031, installation went fine, I connected the USB when asked for, installation continued, at the end when configuring BeoPort there was an error message. I could only say OK and now BeoPort is running fine.

1. I want to test if my PC2 is working, as there is no Main switch , no LED or display I can't even tell that it is switched on. How may I know?

Edit: When I use the Headphone jack I hear the music, I may change volume in Beoport, when switching off BeoPort Music stops playing on the headphone.

1a. So I suppose my PC2 is working?

2. As I first clicked on N.Music in BeoPort he immediately started scanning all my discs. My Music is only on one disc, so now I how hundreds of files listed in N.Music which I don't even want to be listed. Once everything would be working I will have to delete the entire list and do a new scan of my Music folder on the right disc.

3. As BeoPort found music I started testing by playing N.Music and BeoPort plays the Beatles as they are listed first.

4. My BL 2000 is connected to the PC2 by a masterlink-cable and I have a red and a yellow led lighting on the Labs, What must I do to get the sound from the PC2 to my BL2000?

Edit: after downloading the BL2000_setup_eng.pdf I see that the left Led which is yellow on my BL2000 should be the "Standby Led" in red or green but it is yellow. The second led on the right side which is red on my BL2000 is not mentioned in the setup guide.

4a. BeoPort Config is set to Option 6, MainPC Yes, PlayTimer Off, Mix Sound Off, Default source PC, Firmware seems to be up to date as it does not find any new firmware.

I'm stuck with my BeoLab2000

gerard

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 3 2013 9:50 PM

Hi Gerald,

Q1:  From your further investigation it sounds like your BeoPort is working fine - I agree that an LED or something would be useful!  I haven't tried the headphone socket on mine as it is connected to a Passive by PowerLink.

Q2:  Yes it's a bit of a pain to set up the correct music folders but as you said simply delete all and do a more focussed scan later.

Q3:  Sounds fine - of course you can set up play lists with the coloured buttons if you want to control without looking at the computer screen.

Q4:  Not sure about the BL2000 lights - I don't have one at the moment.  Let's assume it is working OK.

Q4a:  I think that the BeoPort should be in Option 2 - see here http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/1455/18289.aspx#18289  The rest of the settings seem fine.  If this doesn't work leave the BeoPort at Option 2 and try changing the Option setting for the BL2000. 

We'll get there in the end!  

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 3 2013 9:56 PM

... and I just had a look at the BeoPort (rather than PC2) instructions on the B&O site, and these confirm that Option 2 is correct, because you want to 'use your PC as a main room product'.  In other words, the BeoPort becomes your 'audio master'.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:00 PM

Lets have a Party !!!YOU ARE GREAT Lets have a Party !!!

BeoPort Option set to 2

BL2000 Option set to 4

and there we are BL2000 working as PC-Speakers.

Monday I will dig deaper in the Config of Beoport.

Do you know if there is an easy way to delete all listed Tracks and Albums in BeoPort?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:10 PM

That's great news!  I will have a play around with the Config tomorrow (whilst my wife is at Ikea!) and see if there is an easy way to delete Tracks and Albums.  Don't forget that you also have N.RADIO and lots of stations to listen to!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, May 4 2013 5:55 PM

gerard:

Do you know if there is an easy way to delete all listed Tracks and Albums in BeoPort?

Hi Gerard,

I had a look at this earlier today as promised.  In short, I cannot find an easy way to delete all listed Tracks and Albums - unless you uninstall and reinstall BeoPort totally, and I wouldn't do that now that it is working!

I experimented and found that the quickest way is to list the N.MUSIC content by 'Titles' - press tab with the content showing in the screen on the left.  Then you are faced with a list of an alphabetical list of folders which you can right click and 'Remove'.  Being alphabetical, there are only 26 plus the numbers so it doesn't take long!

Perhaps someone else on the forum will have a better solution?  There could be a method involving the Windows Registry. 

When it comes to adding new content, rather than scanning again (which is difficult to filter), simply drag music folders, or individual tracks, from windows explorer straight onto the BeoPort N.MUSIC content page - this method works well.

We are both relatively new to BeoPort/PC2 so hopefully someone else will have suggestions....?

Regards Guy

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:02 PM

Guy:
I cannot find an easy way to delete all listed Tracks and Albums

I found a way to do that by deleting the files where the information is saved in. To do that you have to

- Exit BeoPort in the tray (stop running of BeoPort)

- enable "show hidden files" in explorer:

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

- navigate to  C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\BeoMediaDatabase

- delete all files and the content of the Backup Folder, leave the folders in place

- restart BeoPort

- click on N.Music and immediately click STOP in the scanning window. The scanning process stops, all deleted files are recreated, but without content so all Lists: Albums; Genres; Artists; Folders; Titles; Removed; Playlists are now empty.

- click HIDE SCAN and now, as you said:

Guy:
When it comes to adding new content, rather than scanning again (which is difficult to filter), simply drag music folders, or individual tracks, from windows explorer straight onto the BeoPort N.MUSIC content page - this method works well.

gerard

EDIT: by only deleting the file BeoMediaDatabase.beo BeoPort will also enter auto-scan when clicking on N.Music

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:11 PM

I will have to check some more details, to get only the music to the beoport. At the moment I'm using the Front Headphone Jack from my PC to connect the PC2, this way I have Music sound and  Click sound on my beolabs, it would be great to have music on the Labs and Click-sound on the PC-screen-speakers.

greetings from gerard

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, May 5 2013 4:30 PM

Hi Gerard and many thanks for that info about clearing libraries - very useful!

Not sure about the 'music only' on the Beoport option - I think it may depend upon the capabilities of your soundcard(s).  I only have BeoPort providing all my audio output, but it's very easy so adjust the relative output levels of computer, Skype, BeoNet radio, ML audio etc using the 'mixer' function on my soundcard.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, May 8 2013 7:51 PM

Hi Guy

I did not find the time to get deeper into BeoPort Config and the combination with my soundcard.

My first tests were done with the masterlink cable of my MPAV from the AV9000 setup. Today I got a new ML-Cable so the BL2000 is now set up with it's own cable and I can start testing the system.

I first want to learn to use beoport in combination with the BL2000 before I start changing settings on my soundcard , by the way it's a realtec one.

For my first Test setup I have connected :

PC2-ML to BL2000-ML

PC2-USB to Computer-USB,

PC2-Audio-IN to Computer-headphone-jack

PC2-Headphone-jack to Headphone

Q1. When playing N.Radio on PC with BeoPlayer, BL2000 does not switch on automaticaly, when pushing PLAY-button BL2000 starts and sound is played. Is this normal?

Q2. Changing volume in BeoPlayer does not change volume on the BL2000, only volume on the PC2-Headphone-jack is changed. On BL2000 I may change volume with the integrated volume-button, not from BeoPlayer, is this normal?

Q3. On my Beo4-remote , which source will I have to choose to change volume on BL2000? Do I have to config the Beo4 to work with the BL2000-slave?

Please forgive me if I'm asking idiot questions, but I'm totally new to Masterlink.

regards

gerard

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, May 9 2013 6:25 PM

Hi Gerard,

Q1:  Yes this is normal.  You have to remember BL2000 over Masterlink is designed to be in a separate room to the BeoPort.  Hence it would be logical that it does not come on automatically when you initiate a change within Beoport. 

Q2:  Same as above.  In effect, volume selection in the 'two rooms' would be separate.

Q3:  Using Beo4 to change volume on the BL2000 you will have to first select the source that you are playing.  ie N.RADIO (PHONO on old Beo4), N.MUSIC (Tape2 on old Beo4), CD (will play the CD in the computer) or PC.

For your setup, you would be better off using primarily the Beo4 for all your source selections and volume adjustments.

I hope this helps, Guy

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, May 9 2013 10:47 PM

I have bought 2 Beo4 remote-controls

Model with AV - button has on LIST: FORMAT ; STAND ; CLOCK ; SOUND ; PHONO ; V. TAPE2 ; A.TAPE2 ; P-IN-P

Model with DVD - button has on LIST : FORMAT ; STAND ; SPEAKER ; CLOCK ; SOUND ; PC

I used the AV-Beo4 selected PHONO with the LIST-Button but BL2000 does not react to Beo4.Sad

EDIT:  When setting BL2000 to Option 6, I may control it by AV-Beo4 PHONO Smile

How manny different Beo4 do exist? is it possible to change the firmware of a Beo4?

regards gerard

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:22 PM

As you are a silver member you can look at the Beo4 instructions on line here: http://www.beoworld.org/manuals_view.asp?pid=694

... and you will see how to ADD additional functions to the LIST button.

As previously stated,  N.RADIO  is the same as PHONO, N.MUSIC the same as TAPE2.   There are lots of firmware versions of Beo4 and therefore different functions that can be added to the LIST button.

I think there are at least 6 different versions of Beo4 - i.e with different buttons. Oldest has the AV button, and second oldest has DVD. 

You could get a Beo4 upgraded at a dealer but it would be more cost effective to buy a newer second hand one on eBay.  I think that you should be able to do everything that you need with the versions you currently have.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sat, May 18 2013 12:23 PM

Thanks for your info on Beo4

I have still some questions to BeoPort software, I do not understand the differences between BeoPort software and BeoPlayer software and BeoLink PC2 software, when reading the user guides of these 3 products there are some differences.

- all my mp3s on my harddisk are taged and all of them have cover-pictures included, but covers are not shown in album or info view.(beoplayer userguide p.12)

- radio stations do not have a logo-picture only a numbre

- beolink_PC2_user-ger.pdf (34 pages) and beolink_PC2_user-eng.pdf (16pages) are different , the german one has different options which I can't find in my software, e.g. on page 26 you learn how to edit and add new sources to the source list.

Do you have covers in your BeoPort?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, May 18 2013 6:15 PM

Sorry I am away from home for the next few days. I do have cover art when using my beoport tho.

Am back home Wednesday and will have a look at the rest then.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, May 18 2013 11:59 PM
I think over time the software converged to a common platform but with two variants:

1) free download = beoplayer with a limited number of radio stations

2) CD and download updates that were tied to a hardware purchase = a large number of radio stations

I bought my hardware after the beoport was announced yet the box was labelled PC2 - I could not discern any difference in the hardware software or manuals

Version control of B&O manuals and their relationship to various software levels has always been a mystery for me - regardless of beoport Beosound or beovision !!!

BeoNut since '75

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Mon, May 20 2013 5:39 PM
When adding a picture file named Folder.jpg , which is the cover of the album, into the folder containing the mp3 files I get a cover picture in BeoPlayer.
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, May 25 2013 10:26 PM

gerard:

Thanks for your info on Beo4

I have still some questions to BeoPort software, I do not understand the differences between BeoPort software and BeoPlayer software and BeoLink PC2 software, when reading the user guides of these 3 products there are some differences.

- all my mp3s on my harddisk are taged and all of them have cover-pictures included, but covers are not shown in album or info view.(beoplayer userguide p.12)

- radio stations do not have a logo-picture only a numbre

- beolink_PC2_user-ger.pdf (34 pages) and beolink_PC2_user-eng.pdf (16pages) are different , the german one has different options which I can't find in my software, e.g. on page 26 you learn how to edit and add new sources to the source list.

Do you have covers in your BeoPort?

I do have covers in BeoPort - my music is mp3 on a separate NAS, and there are no picture files in the music folders so BeoPort must be storing the data elsewhere.

You do have to Register your BeoPort when first set up in order to get cover art etc - but I am not sure how you register once installed.

My Radio stations have a number only - no picture.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS