Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocenter 5000 - setup & tips

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Thom Chesshyre
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Thom Chesshyre Posted: Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:09 AM

Hi,

My first post here - I'm new to the world of Bang & Olufsen.

I've just got hold of a Beocenter 5000 on eBay, and am in the process of getting it set up and working.  It needed a new cartridge, which I have tracked down.

I now need to get it set up and calibrated properly.  At the moment the arm doesn't behave very well at all - it goes to the right start place automatically, but then immediately swings off the record - as if the anti-skating is set way too high.

Could someone point me in the direction of a good guide to getting these things set up?

In due course I need to give the tape deck some TLC too, although as I don't have any tapes this is rather low down on my list of priorities!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:43 AM

Welcome to Beoworld !

We don't see that many posts on Beocenter 5000. These wonderful combos are getting rare.
It sounds like you have the tracking force set incorrectly (or the cartridge not mounted).
It's a very delicate balance with a tracking force as low as 1-1.5 grams depending on the cartridge type.
Tracking force is set on the tonearm counterweight.
It's all in the user manual, one of which I suggest you aquire. The easiest way to do this would probably be to upgrade
your membership to at least silver and download it from our main website.

The tapedeck will need new belts. I can supply these.

Martin

Thom Chesshyre
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  I suspected it was all to do with the tracking force.  I'll have a good read of the manual.

In other news, I've just got hold of a cable to use the aux input...it's the first time I've heard the thing properly and it sounds FANTASTIC!  It's running through a pair of Celestion Ditton 130's (which I got hold of for £1.20 on ebay - epic!) and it's a huge improvement on the NAD 3020 I had previously, which I loved.

I'll let you know how I get on with the turntable, and get back to you in due course if I decide to get the tape deck sorted.

Incidentally, do you know if it's possible to cannibalise the tape deck 'input' to the amplifier to provide another aux input?

Thanks!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:25 PM

These are the stories which make me smile.  B&O on a budget and a delighted newbie to the brand.

Welcome to BeoWorld by the way! Smile

Lee

Thom Chesshyre
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Hi Dillen,

Resurrecting an old post - would you be able to supply a replacement turntable belt for this Beocenter 5000?

Thom Chesshyre
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Hi Dillen,

Resurrecting an old post - would you be able to supply a replacement turntable belt for this Beocenter 5000?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Jun 2 2015 12:53 PM

Further to your other more recent post on this, have you also tried Axel?  Martin is also a first class choice to ask about belts.

Dave.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS